Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Efr 7670 iwg Full race top mount on a stock block with Mr 6 speed

Old Aug 7, 2015, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
400+ torque on a stock 6 speed is asking for things to die lol

But good luck. Hope I am wrong
Old Aug 7, 2015, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
400+ torque on a stock 6 speed is asking for things to die lol

But good luck. Hope I am wrong
I'm making over 425 torque on 6 speed tranny. How long it last, really depends on how you drive it...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 04:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalosojah
I'm making over 425 torque on 6 speed tranny. How long it last, really depends on how you drive it...
And maintain it.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kaj
And maintain it.
Well, if people are running 400+ torque through their OEM 6 speeds, then I feel a hell of a lot better about 500 torque through my Shep 6 Speed.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 09:43 PM
kaj

Well, if people are running 400+ torque through their OEM 6 speeds, then I feel a hell of a lot better about 500 torque through my Shep 6 Speed.
I'm looking at that rebuild, as soon as I sell a kidney. LOL
I am NOT getting rid of my 6. Every time I drive a car with a 5spd, I'm reminded of why.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm looking at that rebuild, as soon as I sell a kidney. LOL
I am NOT getting rid of my 6. Every time I drive a car with a 5spd, I'm reminded of why.
I know you've seen me tell you in other threads to keep it. 5 speeds are notchy. 6 speed is smooth as butter

Unless it blows up
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:15 PM
kaj

I know you've seen me tell you in other threads to keep it. 5 speeds are notchy. 6 speed is smooth as butter

Unless it blows up
Exactly. I'll take that risk. LOL. It drives so nice.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My 5 speed trans in my evo 4 shifts like butter. and I mean BUTTER. and it cost me less than 400 for it. but good shifting is far more about clutch used. The carbon blade clutch I am using allows the trans to shift VERY well. 6 gears for me is too much. close ratio gears are just a pain to daily drive. a good broad powerband does not need a close ratio trans with many gears. a car with 1000 rpm of peaky power does. I would not recommend spending big money on a 6 speed rebuild. you will be heart broken and poor when it breaks. there are issues inside that cannot be fixed with aftermarket parts. the 3/4 slider for example is machined too thin. cant tell you how many I have seen cracked and not shifting. if it were to fly apart under full power it will take out the whole trans. these things crack at stock HP levels. in short best game plan for building these cars is dont spend money on the trans. 5 or 6speeed. spend the money on the right clutch. a light weight disc that engages smooth is the golden key.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
My 5 speed trans in my evo 4 shifts like butter. and I mean BUTTER. and it cost me less than 400 for it. but good shifting is far more about clutch used. The carbon blade clutch I am using allows the trans to shift VERY well. 6 gears for me is too much. close ratio gears are just a pain to daily drive. a good broad powerband does not need a close ratio trans with many gears. a car with 1000 rpm of peaky power does. I would not recommend spending big money on a 6 speed rebuild. you will be heart broken and poor when it breaks. there are issues inside that cannot be fixed with aftermarket parts. the 3/4 slider for example is machined too thin. cant tell you how many I have seen cracked and not shifting. if it were to fly apart under full power it will take out the whole trans. these things crack at stock HP levels. in short best game plan for building these cars is dont spend money on the trans. 5 or 6speeed. spend the money on the right clutch. a light weight disc that engages smooth is the golden key.
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for your input. Of the 3 other Evos I have driven, they had notchy 5 speeds. Now granted, that's not a huge sample size...although it was enough for me to form an opinion

I think you could argue that any Evo transmission is a close ratio box, but I understand your point. Personally, I love the added gear for the highway. And the Shep box I have included the higher FD.

As for design limitations, I had the entire inside of the transmission REM Isofinished and WPC treated including sliders. Will that help? God, I hope so as this tranny cost more than 10x what the awesome 5 speed you have did. I will probably cry on the forums if something bad happens lol
Old Aug 8, 2015, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
1-3 gears in the 6 speed are stronger than in the 5 speed. but those are generally not the gears that break. 4th gear is the most common gear to break. the shep gears are certainly stronger and the rem treatment reduces friction. the only issue left is the six speed shafts are longer than 5 speed. the longer length flexes more under power. its like if you wanted to build a strong roof 20" joist spacing will be stronger than 24". Jon at TRE quoted me the aftermarket gears are a waste for the six speed. the real issue was shaft flex. for me I would just get fast at removing the trans. I see nice shifting 6 speeds being sold for 650-750. spending four times as much on one trans is not gonna outlast four transmissions. maybe not even two. sooo many on DSM forums spent big bucks on transmissions only to break them. the evo trans 5 and 6 speed are pretty dang stout stock in comparison. buy cheap, use a nice clutch, run it till it breaks. thats been my gameplan for ten years.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 07:56 PM
kaj

I agree. 6spd fo lyfe (fo me LOL). Every time I see a cheap 6spd for sale or someone swapping to a 5 I KNOW I should jump on it while I can. I will, as soon as the car gets running right.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Interesting note on shaft flex. Don't have the years of wisdom of owning a DSM. And as they say, the learning is in the doing. We'll see what happens with my 6 speed.

I will say, I seem to have good car luck. Got 175,000 miles out of my OEM engine. And my original 6 speed too. I think I'll be ok, but we shall see
Old Aug 9, 2015, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
1-3 gears in the 6 speed are stronger than in the 5 speed. but those are generally not the gears that break. 4th gear is the most common gear to break..

I been running 2.4LR+ FP black (pump gas) for 13 tmiles with 6-speed, but no launching and most of the accelerations on 1-3 gears Not so many miles on high ways and easy driving there. This must be the result for still running my 6-speed. For the future I have to adjust lower boost for 4-6 gears.

Thanks 94AWDcoupe, you are one of the guys that I listen to when reading this forum.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets not get too caught up on 6 speed talk in this thread! Lets see more clips of this thing in action instead!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mick_O
Lets not get too caught up on 6 speed talk in this thread! Lets see more clips of this thing in action instead!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Efr 7670 iwg Full race top mount on a stock block with Mr 6 speed