Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Brett's Evo 8 2.3L 6266 Gen2 FiTronic powered E15-75

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Cant wait for the shep ultimate trans 4.11 to go in and see how it does!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Trans is finally back and in. We will get some logs this weekend of the differences the 4.11 loads up 3rd gear.

I only snapped two pictures. I forgot to snap the picture of the ic piping on and stuff.

Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok I finally got the results comparison of the standard final drive vs 4.11 in 3rd gear. Its for the most part what anyone else would expect with a longer gear.

So basically as expected, the car is loaded up more almost simulating the stock final drive in 4th gear, except with the 4.11 we're in 3rd and getting that load up, which in turn allows the vehicle to spool quicker at a earlier RPM lengthening the overall power band of the vehicle in 3rd gear.

This is just one of the examples how important gearing is vs setup.

This car has become a ton more responsive, and more enjoyable to drive on the street now prior to how it responded before the upgrade.

I hope this info helps someone else make a good decision in their future build. Just remember, everything has to work together in order to have a successful build!

Fuel was e24 with the 4.11 and around e20 or so on the standard final drive.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 16, 2015 at 02:55 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
^ No doubt Tom. This will be my next modification for sure!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 07:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the good data! Definately shows it's worth the extra $700 from shep to throw that 4.11 fd in there!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 03:34 AM
Former Sponsor

NP I'm glad its helpful to some people and I hope others can benefit from the info I share.

One more update yet for this thread then I will stop updating it & let Brett respond to how his car is once he gets it back

I'm going to do a full detail job on the car before I return it to the owner and will get some pictures of the final product. I will also share the products I used, (pads, compound,polish,sealant,wax) again to help someone else if they are interested in doing this too.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

We dropped off Brett's car to him over the weekend and in the process of doing the final steps I took some pictures as I said I would of the detail job.

Here they are below. I traded in my old open trailer for a new enclosed, and we used that for the first time to transport Brett's car safely to him.

I was shocked to see what we extracted from the paint with spray wax + clay bar. Someone must of spray painted near this car before and the clear coat became contaminated with it.

Thankfully we decided to detail the car so we could remove all this contamination from the paint.

Pictures are below of everything:

Meguiars M105 and M205 were used for compound/polish
Orange pad for cutting & White for polishing
Rupes 21 & Flex 3401 for polishers used
Protected the paint work with Jet Seal sealant

We offer this service for full builds we perform in the shop & also are starting to offer it as a service in general for those who just want detail work.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I'll post more at a later date with some updated pictures with new interior goodies that have been waiting to go in but here is my first impression.

First I have to say Tom is an amazing guy and I wanted everything done right sparing no expense if it was needed. He went through the engine with a fine tooth comb and anything that was off/worn/done incorrectly it was replaced. I couldn't believe the errors, and done half @ss jobs from previous tuners/builders dating back to 2004. This is actually the 3rd rebuild that I've done since I had the car so I can say I've been around the block since I bought it from the show room, yes original owner and was my DD up until last year.

The biggest thing is getting used to the 4.11 and the big turbo 6266. I've previously had a FP Green (380WHP), FP Red (560WHP), and now 6266 (600-800+) so a pretty drastic difference. Power reminds me of a two stroke and power comes on amazingly smooth, even at 1/2 throttle super smooth! The Stock frame turbos seemed to always surge on with power then slowly fall off. I had no idea what to expect when I did my 1st 3rd gear pull @E20 and was so shocked how smooth the power was I decided to swing by the E85 station and bring it up to E50. It was pretty awesome sitting at the E85 pump watching the alcohol content increase, and more fun when I got behind the wheel and pulled on to the highway I can immediately tell a difference. I was amazed as I did some 4th gear pulls how fast I was coming up on 5th gear. This is when I realized this car is crazy fast, and this is also when I realized this not insanity mode at E85. I haven't had an adrenaline rush like this since I first went outside the wire in Iraq. This car is an absolute Fire Breathing Dragon and she has a lot more left in her!

So 4.11... 5th is purely for cruising, if you want to speed up more then 5mph, or go up a steep hill you have to downshift. At 80MPH RPM's are at 3200ish, I often found myself doing 90ish since I'm used to what 80 sounds like. Gears feel much longer, my first 3rd gear pull I kept wanting to shift way before I had to. I've done about 70 miles since I got the car back mainly DD type driving with a few insanity moments just takes getting used to. The 3rd time I drove it I can already tell I'm starting to enjoy it more and more as I understand its new nature.

Since we went to 4.11 after the car was ready to get picked up, we still have to refine the E85 tune when the weather gets warmer and I have my big boy pants on. I'm surprised how smooth the car is just driving around town even when the RPM's are at 2k or below that. I've never felt the ease of how the clutch engages with out having to rev it up a bit. I want to say its better then when it was completely stock! Its like Tom just doesn't tune it with WOT he tunes the drive ability as well. I use my garage to work out and pull the evo out every morning and I am shocked how well cold starts are, and how it's ready to drive cold with out hesitation/bucking/stalling.

The paint looks amazing! In the past when I got my car back I had to spend hours detailing it. Tom treated my car like his own, and he is as OCD as I am. The paint Feels like waxed glass and the decade + of DD has vanished. I have to say I always garaged my car so its in excellent shape. If it wasn't for the NJ Winter's it would look as good as it did out of the factory.

This should hold everyone for now... soon as I get some warmer days where I can get to know her better and beat on it a bit I'll add some more updates. Until the warmer day's I'll be posting more goodies that are now in and are going in. Feel free to follow me on Instagram: WINTERRANGER

Last edited by Evo11V; Jan 1, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Amazing how well your car turned out. What you say about Tom is absolutely true. I recently purchased a 2.3l block from him after a very poor build. Tom worked with me the entire way, pointing out all the flaws from the previous block and making sure I got a solid engine. I'm close to firing it up, I have no doubt it will preform flawlessly!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=SLVRNBLK;11557350]I recently purchased a 2.3l block from him after a very poor build. Tom worked with me the entire way, pointing out all the flaws from the previous block and making sure I got a solid engine.

Wow! Looking forward to your new build thread.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo11V
I'll post more at a later date with some updated pictures with new interior goodies that have been waiting to go in but here is my first impression.

First I have to say Tom is an amazing guy and I wanted everything done right sparing no expense if it was needed. He went through the engine with a fine tooth comb and anything that was off/worn/done incorrectly it was replaced. I couldn't believe the errors, and done half @ss jobs from previous tuners/builders dating back to 2004. This is actually the 3rd rebuild that I've done since I had the car so I can say I've been around the block since I bought it from the show room, yes original owner and was my DD up until last year.

The biggest thing is getting used to the 4.11 and the big turbo 6266. I've previously had a FP Green (380WHP), FP Red (560WHP), and now 6266 (600-800+) so a pretty drastic difference. Power reminds me of a two stroke and power comes on amazingly smooth, even at 1/2 throttle super smooth! The Stock frame turbos seemed to always surge on with power then slowly fall off. I had no idea what to expect when I did my 1st 3rd gear pull @E20 and was so shocked how smooth the power was I decided to swing by the E85 station and bring it up to E50. It was pretty awesome sitting at the E85 pump watching the alcohol content increase, and more fun when I got behind the wheel and pulled on to the highway I can immediately tell a difference. I was amazed as I did some 4th gear pulls how fast I was coming up on 5th gear. This is when I realized this car is crazy fast, and this is also when I realized this not insanity mode at E85. I haven't had an adrenaline rush like this since I first went outside the wire in Iraq. This car is an absolute Fire Breathing Dragon and she has a lot more left in her!

So 4.11... 5th is purely for cruising, if you want to speed up more then 5mph, or go up a steep hill you have to downshift. At 80MPH RPM's are at 3200ish, I often found myself doing 90ish since I'm used to what 80 sounds like. Gears feel much longer, my first 3rd gear pull I kept wanting to shift way before I had to. I've done about 70 miles since I got the car back mainly DD type driving with a few insanity moments just takes getting used to. The 3rd time I drove it I can already tell I'm starting to enjoy it more and more as I understand its new nature.

Since we went to 4.11 after the car was ready to get picked up, we still have to refine the E85 tune when the weather gets warmer and I have my big boy pants on. I'm surprised how smooth the car is just driving around town even when the RPM's are at 2k or below that. I've never felt the ease of how the clutch engages with out having to rev it up a bit. I want to say its better then when it was completely stock! Its like Tom just doesn't tune it with WOT he tunes the drive ability as well. I use my garage to work out and pull the evo out every morning and I am shocked how well cold starts are, and how it's ready to drive cold with out hesitation/bucking/stalling.

The paint looks amazing! In the past when I got my car back I had to spend hours detailing it. Tom treated my car like his own, and he is as OCD as I am. The paint Feels like waxed glass and the decade + of DD has vanished. I have to say I always garaged my car so its in excellent shape. If it wasn't for the NJ Winter's it would look as good as it did out of the factory.

This should hold everyone for now... soon as I get some warmer days where I can get to know her better and beat on it a bit I'll add some more updates. Until the warmer day's I'll be posting more goodies that are now in and are going in. Feel free to follow me on Instagram: WINTERRANGER

Thanks for the in depth review Brett. Glad you're happy with the service and car.

Larger turbos definitely take a little time to get used to, but the first thing you notice is, the car is a lot smoother in boost with a larger frame turbo vs smaller.

It seems to make power with less effort, and just overall smoother transitions.

Your turbo is one step right under the 6466, so it is a decent size turbo coming from a fp red.

Looking forward to your feedback once you run the full E85 mixture.

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Amazing how well your car turned out. What you say about Tom is absolutely true. I recently purchased a 2.3l block from him after a very poor build. Tom worked with me the entire way, pointing out all the flaws from the previous block and making sure I got a solid engine. I'm close to firing it up, I have no doubt it will preform flawlessly!
We fixed a lot of things on this car for the extent of time we had it.

Thanks Oz! Looking forward to tuning yours! I'm glad you're taking your time with it and making sure everything is perfect before tuning.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow those 4.11's made a big difference in spool! Any idea how much sooner the spool would be with a TS manifold? Just curious as this is pretty much exactly where I want to go with mine except with TS manifold...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turndown
Wow those 4.11's made a big difference in spool! Any idea how much sooner the spool would be with a TS manifold? Just curious as this is pretty much exactly where I want to go with mine except with TS manifold...
I don't have a whole lot of seat time with twin scroll t4 setups to say 100%, but i would imagine somewhere around 200-300RPM quicker spool.

Aaron @ English Racing could give you some better data since he really is a huge fan of twinscroll setups.

The last car I did that was twinscroll you can definitely tell a huge difference in low end response and just in general the cars much snappier vs a single scroll.

I would say its well worth it to do twinscroll over single.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I don't have a whole lot of seat time with twin scroll t4 setups to say 100%, but i would imagine somewhere around 200-300RPM quicker spool.

Aaron @ English Racing could give you some better data since he really is a huge fan of twinscroll setups.

The last car I did that was twinscroll you can definitely tell a huge difference in low end response and just in general the cars much snappier vs a single scroll.

I would say its well worth it to do twinscroll over single.
That's what I've heard. I'll have to talk to Aaron and see what he has to say. Thanks!