Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 Stock Block - FiTronic - FP Black SS housing - Kelford 272 - 93oct, E53, E80

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Evo 8 Stock Block - FiTronic - FP Black SS housing - Kelford 272 - 93oct, E53, E80

Finished another Evo on FiTronic (Flex Fuel for Stock ECU). (Contact me to order one - I have 8 in stock left for immediate shipping). (Contact for all other parts as well).

This one was an evo 8 with over 100K miles on the stock block.
We made the engine bay very nice and organized. We repaired leaking throttle body shaft seals, Cleaned up all emission
lines and did an EGR block off. Cleaned up the entire engine bay. (Valve cover before looked black).

We Built & Assembled one of our TSComp Double pumpers for the vehicle and installed that as well.

We performed the following maintenance in general on this car:
TSComp double pumper
FiTronic installation
TSComp direct USB logger cable to AEM UEGO
AEM UEGO Wideband install
Grimmspeed 3 port Install /w Customers existing MBC
Repaired leaking throttle body shaft seals /w MIL.SPEC seals
Boost leak tested vehicle 4 times until system passed after repairing many leaks
New spark plugs (BPR8eix)
Washed car for customer & detailed engine bay
Installed brand new FP Black Turbocharger with Stainless SS housing & install parts
New oil change /w Brad Penn 10w40 /w OEM filter (We know the OEM is not the best)
Installed Omnipower 4 bar map sensor

The mod list is as follows:
Stock Block /w over 100K miles
Kelford 272 cams
FP Black Journal Bearing /w Stainless SS housing
Tial External 38mm wastegate /w dump tube
ID 1300cc (Maxed out over 90% IDC - car needs bigger injectors for more power)
ETS 3.5" FMIC
FiTronic Flex Tune /w 2-stage boost control

Below Is examples of E10 (Straight 93), E53, E80

The Vehicle did produce up to 565WHP 405WTQ but injector duty cycle was
98.3%, So we had to back it off unfortunately.

We decided to stick with a more safer/conservative 535/382tq

Graph of power:

Misc pics of car:

Picture of the Stainless FP Black setup. (Contact me for amazing prices on these as well!)

Picture of FiTronic showing AFR. This is one of many things extra it can display. It has unlimited amounts of display data since we can reprogram the Firmware inside the display to do what we want. (Sorry about the blurry pic)

Old Aug 11, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome, Great work.
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Aug 16, 2016)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job,especially keeping it safe on stock block

mike
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Aug 22, 2016)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a question guys how FP black journal bearing turbo is working on you guys. I am trying to by the FP black turbo but a lot of people tells me go with the ball bearing instead. But is 2500 for the turbo. I can't afford right know. I have new cams GSC stage 2 274/274 and springs/ retainers and all new timing belt kit to put on. Doing the service on my timing belt that is the reason I did cams at the same time. But know that I need to get tune with does upgrades they tell go with a bigger turbo since my goal is to get max 500 for daily driving for not spending to much in tune. I saw the journal bearing FP black for half of that price but I didn't heard to much about this turbo. Any suggestions I appreciated
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by oscarquinones
I got a question guys how FP black journal bearing turbo is working on you guys. I am trying to by the FP black turbo but a lot of people tells me go with the ball bearing instead. But is 2500 for the turbo. I can't afford right know. I have new cams GSC stage 2 274/274 and springs/ retainers and all new timing belt kit to put on. Doing the service on my timing belt that is the reason I did cams at the same time. But know that I need to get tune with does upgrades they tell go with a bigger turbo since my goal is to get max 500 for daily driving for not spending to much in tune. I saw the journal bearing FP black for half of that price but I didn't heard to much about this turbo. Any suggestions I appreciated
The Journal bearing works just fine. They changed the material in the thrust bearing in the turbo now so it can hold up to more abuse vs before to my knowledge.

As long as you run a quality oil such as Brad Penn or Amsoil or anything with a lot of zinc and phosphorous to keep the plates happy the turbo will be happy.

I've sold and tuned a ton of the Journal bearing SS kits and they all work great.

If anyone needs a killer deal on a kit contact me or anything FP for that matter!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:57 AM

curious to see what kind of spool difference the is with the mhi housing vs the ss housing. looking for something to make 550+ on a 2.3 running e85.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 03:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OneSlow9
curious to see what kind of spool difference the is with the mhi housing vs the ss housing. looking for something to make 550+ on a 2.3 running e85.
We just finished a full build at the shop that was originally a Twinscroll MHI FP Black, But the turbo needed rebuilt, And the customer wanted it fixed asap, So we just ordered an SS housing kit for him with a new turbo.

I wish we would of done some logs on this setup, Then I could have shared with you a direct comparison.

I will say, The SS housing is going to make more top end then the MHI, But the MHI is going to spool and make more low end by quite a significant amount.

Not to mention the transient response from an MHI and SS is extremely different.

I personally prefer the SS housing over the MHI especially on stock block since it delays the hit so much, But if you're someone who is into nothing but low end or snappy response you do not want the SS.

SS vs MHI is similar to a small cam vs a large cam. Its shifting your power band from left to right.

The design of the new SS stuff is super nice. Its built with extreme quality. The only thing I need to let others know and this is important, is with the FP o2 housing for the SS setup you will need to 100% SHAVE your ac compressor to clear the o2 housing or it wont work!

So remember there is some minor fab work required, But its very easy to do.

We install the FP kits for around $500-600 at our shop which Includes the fab work & Full installation.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:20 AM

Great numbers and the car looks great! I installed the FP Black with SS housing and cast 02 housing 2 weeks ago for my Evo 8, made similar numbers on 93 (487whp and 397trq) on VD.

Is this SD or MAF?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
The Journal bearing works just fine. They changed the material in the thrust bearing in the turbo now so it can hold up to more abuse vs before to my knowledge.
You are correct. This was the reason why FP came out with their oil recommendations. It was to keep their old thrust bearings from failing. Since they have switched, the turbos are not as prone to failure when running other oils. Some people just tend to cling on to old data. (I spoke with them a few months back regarding this topic.)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lancerrally45
You are correct. This was the reason why FP came out with their oil recommendations. It was to keep their old thrust bearings from failing. Since they have switched, the turbos are not as prone to failure when running other oils. Some people just tend to cling on to old data. (I spoke with them a few months back regarding this topic.)
Ya when you send a turbo into turbolabs they use the upgraded non steel thrust bearing.