Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2.4 Evo builds using HX35/40 turbo!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boxerdropper
I have a stock block 60mm hx40 .63 ar housing. spool under 5k 511whp e85 mustang dyno and 410 on 93, out of fuel on a single 450 with fic 2150s also has bc 276 cams with curt brown ported head and intake/tb
so were you achieving full spool under 5k rpm? if so I think I had should have nothing to worry about especially with having a 2.4 stroker, ported head, etc
Old Sep 24, 2016, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo__Lee
too high oil pressure from the OFH I imagine? what was your pressure?
Me having deleted the balance shaft and using GSC race shaft and oil cooler delete, my Evo is hitting 100 psi of oil pressure from cold starts and then lowers down to around 40 or so idling... crazy high but Im thinking about running the oil feed to the head but in fear of not supplying enough oil pressure. but on the other hand I do have a custom 12an drain that im fabricating that may still allow me to manage the high oil pressure as long as its draining it adequately.
I'm sure it was because of high oil pressure and stock oil drain hole on the pan. I also have the balance shaft deleted but have not measured oil pressure. The head has adequate oil. These Holsets don't need that much oil.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo__Lee
too high oil pressure from the OFH I imagine? what was your pressure?
Me having deleted the balance shaft and using GSC race shaft and oil cooler delete, my Evo is hitting 100 psi of oil pressure from cold starts and then lowers down to around 40 or so idling... crazy high but Im thinking about running the oil feed to the head but in fear of not supplying enough oil pressure. but on the other hand I do have a custom 12an drain that im fabricating that may still allow me to manage the high oil pressure as long as its draining it adequately.
I've been running a Holset on my DSM for about 5 years+.. The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 30 psi Maximum. Permissible operating pressure is 72 lbs although 88 lbs is permitted during cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 10psi.
I've always fed from the OFH with no balance shafts. My OFH is ported because I was getting 100psi+ at WOT. Now I'm around 65lbs. If you search Evo Holset you will see most if not all are feeding from the OFH.. You maybe want to reconsider.. Or maybe put a restrictor on there and tune for correct oil pressure.. Unless you want to blow oil seals... Good luck can't wait to see the results!!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Streetsweeper
I've been running a Holset on my DSM for about 5 years+.. The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 30 psi Maximum. Permissible operating pressure is 72 lbs although 88 lbs is permitted during cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 10psi.
I've always fed from the OFH with no balance shafts. My OFH is ported because I was getting 100psi+ at WOT. Now I'm around 65lbs. If you search Evo Holset you will see most if not all are feeding from the OFH.. You maybe want to reconsider.. Or maybe put a restrictor on there and tune for correct oil pressure.. Unless you want to blow oil seals... Good luck can't wait to see the results!!
In theory I just believe since my oil pressure is is so high from cold start 100 psi to warmed up 40 psi... the oil pressure in the head has to have a significant increase as well. allowing me to properly be able to supply adequate amount of pressure to the hx40. Im in fact more concerned of having minimum oil pressure at idle than cruising and wot!
but to chime in more on my setup I have an oil feed line with a fp restrictor coming coming from the oil filter housing currently, w/ a proper drain as recommended. Also I couldnt find a proper how to for porting the oil filter housing w/ pictures etc. its just on this brand new motor that high of oil pressure versus stock for my Evo is just concerning and im looking for a final take on what to do and be done with it with no worries.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Too much oil pressure kills Holsets, the DSM guys have written quite a bit on this topic.

I run a restrictor on our B series Hondas because those engines also have very high oil pressure especially with a modded oil pump and have had no issues with 'too little oil'.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by extreme-eg
Too much oil pressure kills Holsets, the DSM guys have written quite a bit on this topic.

I run a restrictor on our B series Hondas because those engines also have very high oil pressure especially with a modded oil pump and have had no issues with 'too little oil'.
That's why I'm thinking about running an unrestricted line from the oil feed at cylinder head... highly doubt it's possible to have stock oil pressure in the head when the bottom is achieving 40 psi once warmed up and at 100 psi on cold starts. I'll be sure to update this thread after the tune and final setup regardless! No one wants to kill a brand new turbo
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

I just tuned one, evo 9 LR2.4 gsc R2 jm fab drag mani 70mm TB etc made 861/691 on 43 psi
Old Sep 27, 2016, 03:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIXreno
I just tuned one, evo 9 LR2.4 gsc R2 jm fab drag mani 70mm TB etc made 861/691 on 43 psi
With the same "6767" HX40 based turbo ? If so can you please share some data orr graphs as I'm going to be upgrading my HX40 soon to that spec.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

@ what rpm was full spool achieved by and was the Hx40 upgraded as far as compressor/turbine wheel ?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

With the same "6767" HX40 based turbo ? If so can you please share some data orr graphs as I'm going to be upgrading my HX40 soon to that spec.
Started as a super hx40
changed compressor wheel over to a billet 67mm and had it all balanced etc
ill get you a graph soon,
full boost,43psi, by 5500 in 3rd
5100 in 4th
Old Sep 27, 2016, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice, looking forward to your results. It may just surprise the 'turbo traditionalists'...
That's exactly the plan... I really want to.. but not in a negative way, prove you dont have to go all out on a a traditional turbo that cost $1,700 + for just the turbo and still perform identical if possibly of better in comparison. or this will do just the opposite
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Started as a super hx40
changed compressor wheel over to a billet 67mm and had it all balanced etc
ill get you a graph soon,
full boost,43psi, by 5500 in 3rd
5100 in 4th
Which turbine housing? Compression ratio? Post graph when you can.