Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93

As I am looking through here, I am curious if I should return to where I get my car tuned since I can get random knock when going from cruising at ~3000 rpm to 50%-100% throttle. Am I just using too much pedal for the RPMs I am at?

Keep in mind i bought the car used and I have not had to time to look through every part and find what brand they are because I was not given a parts list when I bought the car.

Mods include:
Mishimoto Radiator Hoses
Cosworth Cams
Bushur 5 Speed Trans
Exeddy Twin
new OEM valves, springs and rockers
upgraded Injectors, pumps, and fuel rail
Stock ECU on Speed Density
ETS? UICP and LICP
ETS? Blank Front mount IC
BBK full turbo
Stock Intake manifold
Stock Exhaust Manifold
Mini Battery Kit
Manual Boost Controller at 28psi
Turboback Exhaust

Im hitting roughly 350/350 but I dont know if its what I should be making since I get knock an unnerving amount

smoothing is on 5 by the way and this was on a Dynojet Dyno.

Sorry for the crappy quality this is all I have
Attached Thumbnails BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93-fullsizeoutput_4ef.jpeg  

Last edited by jheff; Feb 2, 2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
If you paid for the tune, you should go back and have the knock problem addressed.
Is the tuner familiar with Evos? I think the BBK full with cams should be able to make a bit more on 93.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed with the above, and I would think you should be in the low 400's
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
On a dynojet, those are stock turbo numbers, especially on 93...

Who tuned the car? They need to redo it. Personally, I would just go somewhere else.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
How many pounds of boost was it tuned for? Regardless if the ecu senses knock itll pull timing to compensate and the power just falls right off.

The BBK Full is good for an easy 400whp on 93. I made around 430whp on mine on 93. Its a great little turbo but you need to get that tune addressed or else youre gunna be making 0whp when she pops! Good luck!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
How many pounds of boost was it tuned for? Regardless if the ecu senses knock itll pull timing to compensate and the power just falls right off.

The BBK Full is good for an easy 400whp on 93. I made around 430whp on mine on 93. Its a great little turbo but you need to get that tune addressed or else youre gunna be making 0whp when she pops! Good luck!
OP states "mbc set at 28psi"
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Totally missed that

Well for starters we know its knocking to thats where all the power is going. But 28# on that turbo should be well into the 400 mark. I wanna say I spiked around 29ish on 93 when I first installed the turbo and was up about 80whp over the op. To your point 350whp is like 24# on the stock turbo, lol!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Totally missed that

Well for starters we know its knocking to thats where all the power is going. But 28# on that turbo should be well into the 400 mark. I wanna say I spiked around 29ish on 93 when I first installed the turbo and was up about 80whp over the op. To your point 350whp is like 24# on the stock turbo, lol!
There's a few guys in Vegas making 350whp on our crap 91 octane with the stock turbo and cams...lol
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

I went to PSI Proformance (it is spelled funky like that) which is quite close. . I am going to get a scanner very soon to try to track it more. I did a fourth gear pull today starting at 3000 and I did not spot and SES lights but at times I do randomly. I got it tuned by Drunkmann tuning but because of his prices I will probably head over to CBRD since I know they know evos very well. I also forgot to mention that the car is running a Tial VTA BOV and I think it might need a shim but I have yet to find the hardware.

Overall, I am probably going to try to find a different shop because of the cost for a re tune from him is about $500 and I feel like that is ridiculous
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a similar setup, only differences are kelford 272's, a fp race manifold, and ported throttle body. At 28psi I made 491whp on 93octane on a dynojet. Granted it was cool outside, so I'd say a solid 470~whp. Something is wrong with your setup or your tuner. Full bolt on stock 9 turbo cars can make close to 400whp on 93 octane. Make sure your car is well sorted and has no leaks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
I have a similar setup, only differences are kelford 272's, a fp race manifold, and ported throttle body. At 28psi I made 491whp on 93octane on a dynojet. Granted it was cool outside, so I'd say a solid 470~whp. Something is wrong with your setup or your tuner. Full bolt on stock 9 turbo cars can make close to 400whp on 93 octane. Make sure your car is well sorted and has no leaks.
Well I got the boost leaks I had sealed professionally to make sure, I have not had any issues holding boost or any noises. I do not know if the cams in the car are the cosworth 272s or the mivec 272s or the 264s. Do you believe that shimming the BOV could alleviate the wavey nature of the graph?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jheff
Well I got the boost leaks I had sealed professionally to make sure, I have not had any issues holding boost or any noises. I do not know if the cams in the car are the cosworth 272s or the mivec 272s or the 264s. Do you believe that shimming the BOV could alleviate the wavey nature of the graph?
To be honest man I'm not sure. I feel like smoothing out the graph has alot to do with timing. I'm no tuner though so take that how you want it lol. You should be well above your numbers no matter the cams, I would look for another reputable tuner. That's a ton of boost on that turbo for 350/350. My e85 tune made 460 at 22psi. Not an apples to apples comparison by any means, but the bbk full is a solid turbo.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
To be honest man I'm not sure. I feel like smoothing out the graph has alot to do with timing. I'm no tuner though so take that how you want it lol. You should be well above your numbers no matter the cams, I would look for another reputable tuner. That's a ton of boost on that turbo for 350/350. My e85 tune made 460 at 22psi. Not an apples to apples comparison by any means, but the bbk full is a solid turbo.
Well to me this is good news. If i can find another tune that should mean i have a lot more power to be had! I was thinking of getting new manifolds but if I just need to find a new tuner I am happy to stay on a stock manifolds for another couple months.

and just a quick anecdote is that the knock is semi rare, I only see the SES flash every once in a couple weeks but the amount of knock that it is indicating at times alarms me. I would prefer a map that would have me go DOWN in power if i can just see no knock.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Your BOV should not need shimmed. The Tial will stay shut, even with the lightest spring available for it.

There is an issue with your tune, or the knock sensor, or something causing false knock. The waviness of the graph is due to ignition timing jumping around due to knock.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Your BOV should not need shimmed. The Tial will stay shut, even with the lightest spring available for it.

There is an issue with your tune, or the knock sensor, or something causing false knock. The waviness of the graph is due to ignition timing jumping around due to knock.
What can cause false knock? Sorry if i am being pesky with my questions just I would like to learn as much as I can haha

Quick Reply: BBK Full, SD, Stock Mani, Cosworth Cams, Stock Bottom End, etc on 93