Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

High pitched tone after DEFI gauges and Greddy EBC install

Old Mar 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High pitched tone after DEFI gauges and Greddy EBC install

Over the last couple of days, I installed an AEM wideband, 4 Defi gauges (boost, oil and water temp, and oil psi), and a greddy EBC.

Everything works correctly, looks great, and so forth. But now when the radio is on I get a noticable high pitched tone through the car from the speakers it seems. I can hear it ever so faintly (I think...) when the radio is off.

I tapped into the cig light harness under the cup holders for most of the wiring on the defi's and tapped into the radio harness extension for the constant power source. For the Greddy unit I used the ign line on the radio harness since it was just power and ground.

I used to do this sort of thing on aircraft when I was in the air force, so I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Mar 11, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think it could be a warning sound from your defi gauges. i know defi makes a high-pitched ringing noise when the sensors give you a warning
Old Mar 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think so...this noise is only when the radio is on....
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for your ebc where did you ground it? put the defi and ebc on their own ground to metal. Did you reconnect the ground for the radio when you reinstalled it?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by onesicklambo
for your ebc where did you ground it? put the defi and ebc on their own ground to metal. Did you reconnect the ground for the radio when you reinstalled it?
I grounded the EBC on a bolt at the base of the center console. I checked it w/ a dmm to make sure it was proper. It's working great--no problems with it aside from the solenoid wiring being too short to get it past the glove box. So right now I have a greddy unit just sitting in the glove! I need to get an extension.

I grounded the Defi gauges and AEM wideband off the ground wire at the cig lighter bundle.

As far as the radio ground--I only removed the main harness and the antenna. The ground I would have imagined is part of that main harness or inherently built into the frame...so plugging it back in/reinstalling it would have effectively re-grounded it. There was no external ground wire if that's what you mean.

Just to brainstorm--what would cause a high pitch tone to come from a radio? Just bad grounds or engine noise right?

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Mar 11, 2007 at 10:28 PM.