Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Power wire routing

Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Power wire routing

Where do u guys run the power wire through the firewall at?

Also, how do u run the power wiere through the cabin? Under the door drim or under the seats, etc.
Do u run the RCAs at the same time? or do u run the rcas on the opposite side of the cabin?

Do u guys run speaker wire to the speaker or do u just cut te wire that goes to the head unit harness at tap into those wires from the amp?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xearo
Where do u guys run the power wire through the firewall at?

Also, how do u run the power wiere through the cabin? Under the door drim or under the seats, etc.
Do u run the RCAs at the same time? or do u run the rcas on the opposite side of the cabin?

Do u guys run speaker wire to the speaker or do u just cut te wire that goes to the head unit harness at tap into those wires from the amp?
There is various spots to run the amp wire (depends on the guage is were the recommended path you should take.)
You can run the power wire down the side just under the carpet, the rca's should stay a standard 18" away from the power to avoid induced noise.
And for getting the correct speaker wires to get, i would recommend getting an interface harness to avoid cutting the factory harness. If thats not possible then look up the colors online.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on where through the firewall
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Ok actually its simple.
Jack the car up, take off the driver wheel. Take off the splash gaurd (plastic thing inside the fender). Then look inside there toward the driver door and u will see the gromit. Drill a hole into it with a bit that is close to the size of the power wire. Then use a hanger to string it through. From the battery, the power cable should run to the driver side headlight. From there, the cable runs behind the engine bay side wall along the inner fender area. You can run it to the grommit with the newly drilled hole.

Its perfect. Only takes about 5 minutes to poop off the wheel and splash gaurd. Keeps everything stockish looking and no places for liquid to leak in.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:22 PM

That's where I ran my 1/0 power wire through on my Ralliart - I wasn't sure the Evo had the same access or not. Good to know for when I put my system back in, if ever.

I remember how much it sucked feeding it through, but once you get past that it's a nice clean look. The firewall would be quite a challenge as well though.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xearo
Ok actually its simple.
Jack the car up, take off the driver wheel. Take off the splash gaurd (plastic thing inside the fender). Then look inside there toward the driver door and u will see the gromit. Drill a hole into it with a bit that is close to the size of the power wire. Then use a hanger to string it through. From the battery, the power cable should run to the driver side headlight. From there, the cable runs behind the engine bay side wall along the inner fender area. You can run it to the grommit with the newly drilled hole.

Its perfect. Only takes about 5 minutes to poop off the wheel and splash gaurd. Keeps everything stockish looking and no places for liquid to leak in.
+1 on this method...its great
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

yeah. First I didnt drill a whole, i just stabbed the hanger through and i was trying to pull 8 guage (i think) power wire and it wouldnt pull through. Instead the crommit popped out of the firewall side. I thought it was going to be a biznatch to put it back in, but iwth a flat head screw driver it was pretty ez to put the grommit back it. Wheew.

Drilling a whole helped alot. It doesnt look like there is a whole even when u drill it, so its good because it still contracts around the power cable and seals well. Even used a large bit.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:22 PM

I was able to fit my 4 gauge wire through that grommet with no problems and all I did was make a small slit with a knife and it slid right through with a coat hanger.