Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

New CD player keeps blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CD player keeps blowing fuse

Hey I have a Sony CDX-GT510 CD player for my evo and everything was good for a while.. then all of suden I keep blowing my illumination fuse to the right side of the car and dash illumination (its the same fuse). If I go change the fuse sometimes everything works for a while then the lights dim the "POP".. the only way to avoid this is to unplug my cd player harness. I don't even have the illumination wire from the Evo harness wired to anything I just have it taped off..
Even tried changing the 7.5 A fuse to 10 and 15 and still blows those..
I used the following for my wire diagram...

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Black
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Black/Yellow
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Yellow
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Red/Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Red
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Green

People have told me the CD deck can overload my system, but the illumination wire is not connect to anything.
So the Black/Yellow isn't connected to anything.. and IS NOT in contact with the ground.. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by UtahKing; May 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Can you reproduce the problem with the player disconnected? My first thought is the deck is shot. Check to see if there is a short behind the dash.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:51 PM

Yes, when the CD player is disconnected it doesn't happen..
Old May 10, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Double check your harness for a clean splice, if that is okay, try a new stereo.
Old May 11, 2009, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

Try hooking up the wires one by one on the radio and turning your lights on after each wire to see if theres a specific wire that shorts it out.

Last edited by NWEvoViii; May 11, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

+1^^ and in addition, if you can get a hold of a multimeter check voltages for each wire to make sure they are providing correct voltage. If one/more is hotter +15% of actual voltage, then you may have a short or bad ground. GL
Old May 11, 2009, 02:32 AM

Thank you.. I'll test them tomorow and let you know what happens... and the single wire thing is a good idea.. that was my next thing I was going to try.. Thank you everyone
Old May 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quit putting bigger fuses in there.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

You guys have good ideas, however, there is only 4 wires which could cause that. One of which is illumination which he said was not hooked up. Feel free to test yellow, red and black, but I am sticking by my theory of a bad head unit.

You did leave the aftermarket harness connected when I asked if you can reproduce the problem with the head unit disconnected right? If not try that, could be a bad harness.

Good luck
Old May 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

wire a fuseable link to the acessory wire, that way if its the radio it will blow the fuse link first then you know its the radio.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:30 AM

OK, got my mulitmeter and am going to test the wires for high voltage, and if I leave the harness in but the not the CD deck plugged into the harness it does NOT happen.. so the stupid Sony deck might be the problem and I will stop putting bigger fuses in.. I know it could short the source and not fuse, its just crazy how it works for a while then the lights dim out and "pop" so I thought it could just be a weak fuse.. OK thanks everyone.. we will see what happens.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long after you replace the fuse does it blow? How long have you left the deck unplugged to verify it doesn't blow when its unplugged? You're not going to get any "high" voltages. If it truly does it only when the decks connected, I would inspect the illumination wire looking for any nicks or cuts including the tape that you put on there. The only thing that blows a fuse is overcurrent. More than likely by grounding out. If your headunit was blowing 15a fuses, whatever was wrong with it would be obvious.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by biggie5252
How long after you replace the fuse does it blow? How long have you left the deck unplugged to verify it doesn't blow when its unplugged? You're not going to get any "high" voltages. If it truly does it only when the decks connected, I would inspect the illumination wire looking for any nicks or cuts including the tape that you put on there. The only thing that blows a fuse is overcurrent. More than likely by grounding out. If your headunit was blowing 15a fuses, whatever was wrong with it would be obvious.
I left the radio unplugged for 2 whole days and the fuses stayed good.. then when I plugged it back it the fuse lasted about 15 secs.. I havn't had a chance to mess with it some more, but I think there is a wire knicked somewhere because when the CD player is sticking out not screwed into the brackets everything works fine, but when I shove it back in, the fuse goes. I'll have to try to look at it on Wed or Thur next week, my next days off.. thanks for the help
Old May 24, 2009, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Still saying bad head unit, but the harness could be grounding out.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Did you hard wire the cd player to the dash? If so, go buy a new harness to go between the cd player harness and the OEM radio harness. See if the wire colors match up to the diagram you are using. I no longer have my EVO, so I can't verify this for you, but it sounds to me like you have the factory illumination wire hooked up to either the red or yellow wire from your new cd player. If so, it would make perfect sense why it is blowing.

Quick Reply: New CD player keeps blowing fuse