Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Basic audio overhaul question

Old May 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic audio overhaul question

This is very simple, assuming you were going to replace all 4 speakers (non component since I do NOT want to run an external amp) and power them with an aftermarket head unit.

So basically, higher efficiency speakers that fit the evo and an aftermarket head unit that has strong internal amplification with Iphone compatibility would be a huge plus too.

This keeps it cheap, light, gives thieves little incentive, and still gives me a reasonable audio oomph for day to day driving. Any help is appreciated.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, I also know all about subjective speaker differences in terms of listener preference (I'm a home theater guy) - but i'm just looking for some suggestions, or at least a guideline as to high efficiency speakers and high output head units etc then I can go from there.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have mb quart formula series and love them
Old May 27, 2009, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
This is very simple, assuming you were going to replace all 4 speakers (non component since I do NOT want to run an external amp) and power them with an aftermarket head unit.

So basically, higher efficiency speakers that fit the evo and an aftermarket head unit that has strong internal amplification with Iphone compatibility would be a huge plus too.

This keeps it cheap, light, gives thieves little incentive, and still gives me a reasonable audio oomph for day to day driving. Any help is appreciated.
1 - you can run component off the head unit- components come with a crossover to "split" the highs to the tweets and mids to the woofers.
2 - Aftermarket speakers are less efficient than stock speakers- if you didn't replace the HU you would see a dramatic change in volume output after replacing speakers.
3 - most head units claim 45x4 but this is peak wattage which realistically u will not see (around 10-17rms watts)
4 - The incentive for thieves is the Headunit itself- 90% of the time in a stereo install the amps are in the trunk and hidden from plain view. If you had a high end in dash lcd screen, the fact amps exists in the system does not matter to the thief.

How much do you want to spend? Like home theater - car audio can go from hundred's to thousands (i.e. http://www.woofersetc.com/p7177/CS26...Way-System.htm)

my suggestion- invest heavily on front stage speaker set up (why invest in FOUR speakers in a STEREO (i.e. 2 CHANNEL) sound system? instead of the rear speakers, but a 2 channel amp to power those fronts cleanly!

Last edited by igo4bmx; May 27, 2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
1 - you can run component off the head unit- components come with a crossover to "split" the highs to the tweets and mids to the woofers.
2 - Aftermarket speakers are less efficient than stock speakers- if you didn't replace the HU you would see a dramatic change in volume output after replacing speakers.
3 - most head units claim 45x4 but this is peak wattage which realistically u will not see (around 10-17rms watts)
4 - The incentive for thieves is the Headunit itself- 90% of the time in a stereo install the amps are in the trunk and hidden from plain view. If you had a high end in dash lcd screen, the fact amps exists in the system does not matter to the thief.

How much do you want to spend? Like home theater - car audio can go from hundred's to thousands (i.e. http://www.woofersetc.com/p7177/CS26...Way-System.htm)

my suggestion- invest heavily on front stage speaker set up (why invest in FOUR speakers in a STEREO (i.e. 2 CHANNEL) sound system? instead of the rear speakers, but a 2 channel amp to power those fronts cleanly!
1- So what happens when I distort the hell out of my speakers cause of being under powered? Will you take responsibility when I blow my speakers or amp? To the OP stick with your original thought here.

2- Most after market speakers are more efficient than the stock speakers. Reference this chart. They may take more power to produce the DB at certain wattage.

Power -- Speaker 1 -- Speaker 2 -- Speaker 3
01 Watt -- 87 dB ---- 90 dB ------ 93 dB
02 Watt -- 90 dB ---- 93 dB ------ 96 dB
04 Watt -- 93 dB ---- 96 dB ------ 99 dB
08 Watt -- 96 dB ---- 99 dB ------ 102 dB
16 Watt -- 99 dB ---- 102 dB ------ 105 dB
32 Watt -- 102 dB ---- 105 dB ------ 108 dB
64 Watt -- 105 dB ---- 108 dB ------ 111 dB
128 Watt -- 108 dB ---- 111 dB ------ 114 dB
256 Watt -- 111 dB ---- 114 dB ------ 117 dB

3- Depends on what head units you are talking about. Stock or $100-$200 aftermarket ones. (alpine has 60x4 or 28x4 rms)

4- I agree mostly with you, more like 99% of break ins are for the head unit alone. If they steal the whole system, it is likely your friend or someone who knows you.

To the OP, look at the alpines in the $300-$500 range for 60x4 internal amps. Or any headunit that has that kind of output. Go for a detachable face if possible. With that kind of head unit you can always add on to it down the road with a 4channel or subamp. Good luck!
Old May 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with igo4bmx with the idea of getting a solid front stage and a 2 channel amp.

Pioneer headunits generally have stronger internal amps, usually 22wrms, if you decide to go that route. Alpines are all 18w. You can by an external "power pack" to increase that though.

Don't worry about efficiency. It doesn't play the role in car audio that it does in home audio. If you are worried about it though, components are less efficient than coaxial speakers due to the external crossovers.

You also won't blow speakers by simply underpowering them alone.

If you're worried about thievery, get an alarm. Thieves don't need an incentive.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRCole
1- So what happens when I distort the hell out of my speakers cause of being under powered? Will you take responsibility when I blow my speakers or amp? To the OP stick with your original thought here.
He said he didn't want to run components b/c he didn't want an amp but TECHNICALLY he can run components without an amp- not a good idea IMO
Also like Biggie said- you can't blow speakers from underpowering, only from clipping and distortion.

2- Most after market speakers are more efficient than the stock speakers. Reference this chart. They may take more power to produce the DB at certain wattage.
Most people read "efficient" as a term to see how well it can play with their current set up. The OP will be greatly upset that his aftermarket speakers can only play at half the volume of the stock ones

3- Depends on what head units you are talking about. Stock or $100-$200 aftermarket ones. (alpine has 60x4 or 28x4 rms)
i didn't know alpine had those claims in their decks- I will say there is a difference between HU 28 RMS vs amp 28rms
Old May 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
The OP will be greatly upset that his aftermarket speakers can only play at half the volume of the stock ones
I've never had a problem with aftermarket speakers only playing at half the volume of stock ones on the same headunit. I would agree that factory speakers are more efficient simply because they're only made of crappy paper and use crappy material for the surrounds, but at the same time will distort at a lower volume than aftermarket speakers.

Did you experience something with a specific brand of speaker?
Old May 29, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

80% of what you hear comes from in front of you... focus on your front stage.. eliminate your rear speakers and focus your budget on a solid front component kit. Whether you decide to amplify them or not is up to you, either way a great component speaker up front will make a huge difference in how you hear and appreciate the music you are listening to.

I would suggest JL Audio C2, C5, Zr series... depending on your budget... starting around $200 all the way up to $1000 or more... phenomenal speakers... find a local dealer and give them a listen.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
I've never had a problem with aftermarket speakers only playing at half the volume of stock ones on the same headunit. I would agree that factory speakers are more efficient simply because they're only made of crappy paper and use crappy material for the surrounds, but at the same time will distort at a lower volume than aftermarket speakers.

Did you experience something with a specific brand of speaker?
i've seen it several times through people's installs asking me what's going on. You nailed it right on the head - powering a lightweight paper cone with small magnet is going to be easier to move then aftertmarket b/c of cone weight