Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Adding Double Din GPS HU to an SSL car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Double Din GPS HU to an SSL car

Been doing my research and just want to confirm this is correct.

I want to add a Double Din GPS HU to my car with the stock infinity 310watt system and keep all my stock components (speakers, amp, sub). In order to do this I need a HU that will have 2 outputs (front and rear) and I need this piece to hook it to the stock amp.

Is this correct?

I'm looking at getting this HU btw.

Any feedback on sound quality is appreciated too.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

No one's done this before?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

i want to know this as well. Can a new headunit be hooked to to the factory SSL system (infinity sub n speakers).. The double Din are so hard to find now
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. There's an adapter to hook up to the factory amp. You'll also need the normal adapter for power & ignition. Hooking up a double din to ssl is no different than a normal headunit.

The part number or name for the adapter is somewhere in the audio info thread. Sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:24 AM

I work at an install shop for Best Buy and we sell it for $22 with both pieces you need. Its a Metra Part 70-7004. Almost any Best Buy should have it if you have one close.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SqEvoVIII
I work at an install shop for Best Buy and we sell it for $22 with both pieces you need. Its a Metra Part 70-7004. Almost any Best Buy should have it if you have one close.
I do. Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:36 PM

Sorry for the partial thread hijack but I figured I'd ask here since the other thread I posted in doesn't seem to get a lot of views.

Is there a way to make it so the sub in the SSL package doesn't just act as a speaker with an aftermarket HU? I installed an Alpine CDA-9886 the other day and this is the only snag that I've run into so far. I used both the Metra and Mitah adapters and everything went into place with no issues (thanks to Crutchfield's very helpful installation guides) but I can't figure out why my sub isn't working right. It seems to behave like it's on the same channel as the rear speakers and adjusting the subwoofer level does nothing.

Everything else works perfectly. The main reason I got the Alpine was for the USB/iPod support which is nice but I'm almost tempted to put the stock HU back in so my music actually has some depth to it.

Sorry for the derail!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadmeat
Everything else works perfectly. The main reason I got the Alpine was for the USB/iPod support which is nice but I'm almost tempted to put the stock HU back in so my music actually has some depth to it.

Sorry for the derail!
Yeah, I'm gonna purchase one of the Mitsu IPod adapters for the stock HU. Its pretty reasonable now.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadmeat
Sorry for the partial thread hijack but I figured I'd ask here since the other thread I posted in doesn't seem to get a lot of views.

Is there a way to make it so the sub in the SSL package doesn't just act as a speaker with an aftermarket HU? I installed an Alpine CDA-9886 the other day and this is the only snag that I've run into so far. I used both the Metra and Mitah adapters and everything went into place with no issues (thanks to Crutchfield's very helpful installation guides) but I can't figure out why my sub isn't working right. It seems to behave like it's on the same channel as the rear speakers and adjusting the subwoofer level does nothing.

Sorry for the derail!
The stock sub does little, btw...so make sure it is actually NOT doing anything (You've probably done that so moving along...) Have you checked to make sure that there is not a low-pass enabled on your HU that is filtering out the sub frequencies and sending them to a channel not hooked up? If yes, turn the subwoofer setting off and see if your lows aren't back in your standard four channels. My iDA-X001 was like this when I installed it. Turned the separate sub function off and it was back...all the sub function on the OE stereo is handled in the factory amp's internal crossovers.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Jul 10, 2009 at 06:32 PM.