Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Alternator Charging issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Charging issue

I have an 06 gg se I have been having issue's driving the car. The car will not stay running. I have checked the alternator twice (taking it to an autoparts store and running it outside the vehicle) both times testing just fine. i have also bought a new yello top battery. When the battery is getting low on voltage the car idles at 2200rpm and all the lights dim. I have not changed anything on the car since last year same gauges, radio nothing new in the electrical department. If i could get some opinions and help ive had enough and ready to drive it off a cliff.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

My evo 8 started to show the same problem today .
Need help asap.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:38 AM

ttt i need help with this issue
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Bad alternator. Get a remanufactured one fron Pepboys or Western Auto, with lifetime warranty for about $120
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:18 PM

is that what is was for you?? I had it tested twice and it ran for 10 secs both time tested and it was good? let me know what they told you
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:38 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check all of your fuses/wires from the alternator to the battery?
If the alternator is in fact good then the charge is not making it to the battery.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:59 PM

the alternator fuse coming off the battery is good is there another one?? I have not checked the wire.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:45 PM

There is a 60 amp in the fuse box beside the battery. Usually you would have had a serious short to blow it though.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Old bump having the same issue new battery and alternator with no luck, also tried a separate ECU. The fusible links on the battery cable are good.

Its just not charging the battery...

Another note the battery light doesn't come on when the key is in the on position, took the dash apart and the bulb is good and no short

Help!!!

Last edited by Mark14; Oct 16, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

change out your alternator should fix your issue
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:07 PM

hey guys i have ran in to this problem on a guys car i replaced the alt thinking that it was the problem becuse all sings point to it but it was a remaned alt i also checked the wires that controll the voltage regulater and they all seemed to be with in spec as far as the resistance in the wires here is a diagram that i used if needed i will tell step by step of what i did to come to the conclusion that it was the remaned alt new alt coming from mitsu
Attached Thumbnails Alternator Charging issue-evo-diagram.gif  
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:21 PM

ok so im having the same prb in my 04 evo 8. i replaced couple alternator from mitsu. put 5 new batterys. checked my wores. added grounds. its only sending 12.2v. i was thinking one of the wire from the ecu is bad so im gonna run new wires. if that didnt work i will try and you guys should change the ignition switch. nd if you have problem with th starter it could be a problem too, good luck
Old Nov 29, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark14
Old bump having the same issue new battery and alternator with no luck, also tried a separate ECU. The fusible links on the battery cable are good.

Its just not charging the battery...

Another note the battery light doesn't come on when the key is in the on position, took the dash apart and the bulb is good and no short

Help!!!
just wondering if you figured out the issue. I have the same issue.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 02:03 PM

I am experiencing this same exact issues as most of you. My car will run fine while the battery has a charge, then all my lights start dimming and engine starts to die off. It died on me on the highway just recently. I got a jump and it fired right up. Its a brand new battery and when its charged it puts out 13 volts but I checked my alternator and its putting out anywhere between 14.5 to 15.9 volts. Thinking its the alternator since its internally regulated. will be pulling it this weekend to replace.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 03:46 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeepyedo
I am experiencing this same exact issues as most of you. My car will run fine while the battery has a charge, then all my lights start dimming and engine starts to die off. It died on me on the highway just recently. I got a jump and it fired right up. Its a brand new battery and when its charged it puts out 13 volts but I checked my alternator and its putting out anywhere between 14.5 to 15.9 volts. Thinking its the alternator since its internally regulated. will be pulling it this weekend to replace.
If your alternator is putting out that kind of voltage, then your battery shouldn't be dying. I would look into the connection between the alternator and the battery. Do a resistance test between the terminal on the alternator and the positive terminal on the battery, with all harnesses connected, and post the results.

Quick Reply: Alternator Charging issue