Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

AEM EMS Blowing Fuse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS Blowing Fuse

I've hooked up my AEM EMS, and I've had it hooked up permanently for a couple days now. Today, as it is idling, the 10A fuse I highlighted in the picture blows after a few minutes of idling and the car shuts off. This has occurred 3 times today, and it was not happening earlier.

What is this fuse powering exactly? I'd like to trace what is pulling 10+ Amps.
Attached Thumbnails AEM EMS Blowing Fuse-fuses.jpg  
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
are u running any upgraded ignition system? cuz i have a aem ems as well with the spoolin up cop kit! and its recommended to use a 15amp fuse.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, that is the ignition fuse. More specifically, it provides power to the coils. You need to make sure you have the correct dwell settings in the AEM, otherwise you'll blow that fuse.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I am running the spoolin up cop, yes. I had never heard this before; AEM recommends this?

On a side note, I'd like to confirm how I have my AEM Uego wideband (35-3401) wired. I have the white 0-5V wire going to pin 76 on the EMS.

Do I need to attach the ground for the Uego to the ECU? The EMS diagram shows black going to chassis ground, and a non-existent brown wire going to pin 92 for ground. Does the blue serial wire go to pin 92 on the ECU, or is a ground to the ECU from the UEGO not necessary?
Attached Thumbnails AEM EMS Blowing Fuse-capture.png   AEM EMS Blowing Fuse-capture2.png  
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MasterNater
Yes, that is the ignition fuse. More specifically, it provides power to the coils. You need to make sure you have the correct dwell settings in the AEM, otherwise you'll blow that fuse.
My dwell settings are set to how AEM's Evo base map has them. Do you know what approximate settings guys use with the Spoolinup cop? My tuner can adjust them later once I hit the dyno.

I have a difficult time understanding why stock dwell settings could blow a fuse at idle with the spoolinup.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drewdq
I am running the spoolin up cop, yes. I had never heard this before; AEM recommends this?

On a side note, I'd like to confirm how I have my AEM Uego wideband (35-3401) wired. I have the white 0-5V wire going to pin 76 on the EMS.

Do I need to attach the ground for the Uego to the ECU? The EMS diagram shows black going to chassis ground, and a non-existent brown wire going to pin 92 for ground. Does the blue serial wire go to pin 92 on the ECU, or is a ground to the ECU from the UEGO not necessary?
Running the white wire from the gauge to pin 76 is correct, and the black wire goes to a chassis ground. I used a ground point behind the radio for that. The blue wire can be connected to an RS-232 serial cable for external data logging.

Originally Posted by drewdq
My dwell settings are set to how AEM's Evo base map has them. Do you know what approximate settings guys use with the Spoolinup cop? My tuner can adjust them later once I hit the dyno.

I have a difficult time understanding why stock dwell settings could blow a fuse at idle with the spoolinup.

Thanks
It is odd that the stock coil settings would cause the fuse to blow with the spoolinup kit. So, you chose "Evo VIII Coils" in the Coil Dwell Wizard? Maybe it is a simple matter of upgrading the fuse to a 15amp, but I've never blown the 10amp fuse with the correct settings, BR COP, and AEM EMS.

Maybe somebody that has the spoolinup kit and an AEM can give you their settings. The only other thing I could think of is a wiring issue with the spoolinup kit causing a short or an issue with the coils. Does it blow the fuse after approximately the same amount of time idling each time?

Last edited by MasterNater; Sep 11, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

I went through 3 10-amp fuses today. There was no specific timing as to when the fuse would go, but it was always during idle.

I had the Evo VIII coils selected in the coil dwell wizard. Since it is a Toyota coil, I may try one of the Toyota coil configurations.

I moved to a 15-amp fuse, and I haven't had the issue again today.

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. Hopefully the 15 amp fuse will solve the issue.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Was the fuel pump priming when it wouldnt start and was blowing this fuse? I am having a similar problem but with stock ignition.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by infam0usndn2nv
are u running any upgraded ignition system? cuz i have a aem ems as well with the spoolin up cop kit! and its recommended to use a 15amp fuse.
This.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
PRS
Account Disabled

I never has any issues with Aem with a sparktech sequential system. It wouldnt hurt to check the connections on the cop setup to make sure one isnt grounding out somewhere.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Was the fuel pump priming when it wouldnt start and was blowing this fuse? I am having a similar problem but with stock ignition.
Yes the fuel pump was priming. Throwing in a 15A fuse solved my issue.