Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Remote start - do I need a spare key?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start - do I need a spare key?

I'm looking to buy an alarm for my evo, and trying to decide if i should get with remote start or without.
My car only came with one key when i bought it used, so my question is, can you have remote start setup without having to put a spare key in a little box in the dash?
If yes, please advise how to do it, and which alarm system supports it.
Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Here, you have three options;
The best is to get another key, this allows the transponder to still work correctly.

The second is to get non-transponder keys (regular silver key from pepboys, autozone, etc) cut to use for the ignition and put your working key into a bypass module. Then trigger the module with the ignition wire instead of the remote start status output. Any time the ignition is on it will send the rfid from the key in the box. This pretty much bypasses the factory key security.

Finally you can disable the transponder via flashing the ecu. This completely disables the factory key security.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Marcac, that answers my question.
I wish there was another option.
To me it just seems like a bad idea to have your spare key inside the dash for the remote start to work. If a thief were to find it, that would make it very easy to start the car and drive off.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
im in the same boat as you. I too only have 1 key. the bad part is that to make another key it is VERY expensive. let me know what you decide, im trying to figure out what to do. i've read there is a module box the pku-mit that u can program... IF you have 2 keys to do it, that can be placed in the car to bypass the security. But i think it bypasses it completely meaning shuts it off. I'm not sure.
I was thinking if u use the spare key, u should mess up the key so that it cannot be use in the ignition cylinder to start the ignition. but it does still disable the rfid signal.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

cut and programmed cost me $89.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:04 PM

quick question.. i was going to put an auto start on my evo.. but my friend at the shop refuses to put one on cuz he's had people put it in gear when its off and accidentally hit the start button and the car has taken off and plowed into houses and etc...

i myself haven't heard or seen that before.. so is that true??
and if it is.. is there any way to keep that from happening besides just keeping it off of gear??
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you just need the transponder part you can cut the key part off(so if they find it they cant start it). It can be done its done in my car by best buy. They wouldnt hook it up or put it in there paper work but they did all the work and told me how to hook it up. Works great you have to have your emergency brake on for it to work so the leaving it in gear part is of little concern to me.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by localtoys73
you just need the transponder part you can cut the key part off(so if they find it they cant start it). It can be done its done in my car by best buy. They wouldnt hook it up or put it in there paper work but they did all the work and told me how to hook it up. Works great you have to have your emergency brake on for it to work so the leaving it in gear part is of little concern to me.
thats what i was thinking as well but he just completely refuses to put the auto start on for me.. soo ill have to find someone else to do it for me -_-
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

well I just told the best buy guy not to put on the paper work and I handed him 40.00 cash so he did it. LOL I am sure you can find a shop to do it.

I was told they were going to realease and updated version that will work with manual cars(wouldnt start if the car is in gear) you might want to check into that as well.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by localtoys73
well I just told the best buy guy not to put on the paper work and I handed him 40.00 cash so he did it. LOL I am sure you can find a shop to do it.

I was told they were going to realease and updated version that will work with manual cars(wouldnt start if the car is in gear) you might want to check into that as well.
id love to have some other people do it but id love it even more to have a guy i know personally to add all this soo i know that he'l do a good job you know??

but its alright.. ill definitely look up on that.. and if it'll come out hopefully i can then get my guy to do it lol
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
well theres video's of remote start crashes. a lot of the newer car alarms have an idiot proof way to install and set it. it has to be done a specific way to engage the remote start the next time, any changes will result in it not doing the remote start. I've had remote starts installed on my manual cars all the time. IF, i dont remember if its in gear or not, i just dont do it. if i know its not in gear i do it.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Getting sued is the reason people don't install them in manual cars without having a required sequence to engage.

An example of the systems, pull ebrake, press brake pedel, push valet button, release ebrake, let go of valet, engage ebrake and your LED will flash rapidly knowing it is set. If anyone opens a door after the light stops flashing rapidly the sequence needs to be peformed again.

Though if you leave it in gear you may still have an issue. Options are to install neutral safety switches, either through the cruise control module or on the linkage itself.

Again, anything is possible, I wouldn't want the liability when someone messes with the remote of my car and because I parked on a hill I left it in gear.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

I am a Best Buy installer and we ARE allowed to install certain Remote starts onto manual transmission vehicles, but only the Viper alarms that we sell that have a manual mode. When installed properly the secquence is; Arrive at your destination. Push the brake, pull the e-brake release the brake, push the remote start button on the key fob, take your key out of the ignition (the car stays running), get out of the car, Push the lock button on your remote, this locks the doors and turns off the car. This sequence guarantees that the car is in neutral, if you even open a door before you remote start, you have to repeat the entire sequece. Let me know if you have any other questions as I do these alot.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:43 PM

yes, you will always need a spare key for the remote start feature
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:59 AM

thanks for the info!

PM how much Best Buy does install. Any deals?

Quick Reply: Remote start - do I need a spare key?