Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996

I just picked this unit up. I had an alpine 9887 was great but I wanted more options. Slim choices these days for a single din unit. After doing research I chose the Kenwood cause it had most of what I wanted. Here is my quick review may help someone in the market for a solid single din unit.

Options
Ok this is what I was looking for. I wanted a HU that could stream Pandora either from droid or iphone and have a USB port. Also wanted BT built in for hands free. I wanted something with sirus/xm and not have to hook up a boat load of other units to make it all work. Wanted a decent screen and easy to read. The Kenwood does all of that and a bit more. The Pandora is amazing I can control everything from the HU. Play, pause, thumb up and down. Pulls all the info up on the screen quickly. And even sounds decent over BT.

So the one thing or 2 I don't love is the lack of buttons. You have to scroll through presets its a pain and takes some time to get used to. The screen is ok. Colors are weird and its hard to see in sunlight and at angles. The apline I had is gonna be tough to beat the screen was perfect on that thing.

In the end this thing for less than 300 bucks is worth it. Packed full of options decent sound and looks good in the car.

Crappy install pics..... Will snap some better ones

Here is a full feature list
General features:
•CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
•built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
•plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
•built-in HD Radio tuner
•built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
•fold-down detachable face with selectable 5- or 3-line line display, plus variable display and control colors
•remote control
Audio features:
•13-band equalizer
•Sound Excellence DSP with speaker size settings, plus high- and low-pass crossovers
•digital time alignment
•Supreme Setting improves the sound of files encoded at low bit rates
•bass boost
•subwoofer controls
Expandability:
•iPod/iPhone direct control via USB input — no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
•Pandora control with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry
•compatible with Kenwood's Music Control app for Android phones
•compatible with SiriusXM tuner
•inputs: rear auxiliary and USB inputs
•outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
•compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
•warranty: 2 years
Old May 23, 2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The X996 is a great HU.

It takes a lot of trial and error to get the stage right but when you find the spot, its wonderful. This trial and error method is very time consuming because you have so many layers of menus that you have to adjust.

I had to go through a few forums to learn what settings do what but it was well worth it.

DSP setting were a little tricky while trying to get the positioning right. If you need some help setting it up, PM me and I will get you close.

Congrats on your purchase !
Old May 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks PM sent

Originally Posted by bougs
The X996 is a great HU.

It takes a lot of trial and error to get the stage right but when you find the spot, its wonderful. This trial and error method is very time consuming because you have so many layers of menus that you have to adjust.

I had to go through a few forums to learn what settings do what but it was well worth it.

DSP setting were a little tricky while trying to get the positioning right. If you need some help setting it up, PM me and I will get you close.

Congrats on your purchase !
Old May 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an X994 and these head units are awesome. Picked mine up for $225 brand new a couple years ago. Looks good