Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 9 Negative Battery Cable

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Negative Battery Cable

I acquired a mini battery kit recently and noticed if I wish to run the positive terminal onto the battery post firewall side (to hide majority of wires behind battery) the negative terminal is just a few inches shy of being able to reach the post on the battery.
My question, anyone know the gauge of the OEM negative battery cable?
A few people have told me that putting a break in a battery cable isn't advised, but if I'm just extending the length of the cable by a a few inches, does it really affect it that much, I also noticed from the factory there appears to be a break where the cable is crimped into the strut tower already as is, making me further believe it shouldn't be a problem.
Obviously I will also be connecting and insulating the break as clean and sound as possible.
Thanks for any feedback!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:16 PM

I imagine by now you've figured something out but if not you could probably get by with just finding a new location for the opposite end of the wire. You can bolt it to any solid chunk of chassis and still have the same grounding effect.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 09:13 PM

Hopefully you've figured something out because I'm in a similar situation. I want to replace to stock terminal already on the battery but if I cut it off and attach a ring terminal to the end of the wire it will not be long enough to reach the battery terminal. So I was wondering, what did you do?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:46 AM

Just relocate the opposite end of your ground wire. Go ahead and cut back the wire until you get to a fresh section, hook it up and see if there's any solid metal you can bolt the other side to (definitely should be.) if it won't reach, then you can look locally or online for 4 gauge 1862 strand silver wire.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:15 PM

Alright thanks, that's was I thinking of doing too and then running some leftover 4 gauge (from my audio install) from the batt neg to that grounding point bolt, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any problems first before doing it and something happening the road.