Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Dimmer system/dash lighting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dimmer system/dash lighting

Does anyone know if the dimmer system for the dash and ac panel is a standard resistance type dimmer for incandesent bulbs or a pulse width modulation type system ( PWM) similar to that used for LEDs etc.

I plan on connecting several aftermarket gauges and would like them to operate from the factory dimmer. Hopefully the dimmer can do that if it is compatible.

Milburn

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Feb 28, 2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

So 251 views and not a single reply..LOL

I did some real digging and found that the CT9A platform uses mostly incandescent bulbs on the dash, gauges and interior. The one exception i have found is the drivers side window switch which has a tiny LED to light the little (--) on the switch at night.

All the rest are regular bulbs not LED so it will require a different controller to control brightness if you replace them with LEDS .

Not sure of the wiring for that for the dash gauges. Rest seem pretty straight forward, just run the power line thru an LED controller and send the output to the lights involved. Messy but certainly doable.

If you dont care about controlling the brightness, then replace away with LEDS. Be aware that they have different criteria, such as multi component SMD with up to 12 leds on the pack, and can be rated for viewing angle ( from 30 to 360 degrees visibility ) as well as lumens ( brightness ) AND the correct fitment in the holder such as wedge type, twist lok and semi wedge base.

For the gauges on the dash, you will have to replace the faces as the letters on the factory faces are red and swapping bulbs to say..blue.. wont pass much light at all and it wont be blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVO-EVOLUTION-7-8-9-FERRARI-STYLE-YELLOW-GLOW-GAUGE-FACE/271765471827?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29381%26meid%3De9a5eb1ef3e847358ba4617960d1160c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351306028641&rt=nc Yuck but someone might like it

sources for faces: www.xtuners.com, www.lightrikz.com and prolly ebay. If you can find them the old Trustz EL overlays for the CT9a ( eBay ) can be modified to remove the EL foils and use replacement incandesent factory bulbs or condoms to illuminate.

I have been in contact with Zack George at lightrikz.com and we are looking to put a package together specific to evo's again that will cover the CT9A platform including the ACD cluster. Details and options to follow

Please post pics and install instructions if you have changed colors, bulb type ( to LED ) AND specific bulb number and complete URL for the source.

thanks

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Mar 1, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he just wanted to tie in his new gauges to the stock dimmer. And of what say is right about the incandescent bulbs it shouldn't be PWM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk_Tsi
I think he just wanted to tie in his new gauges to the stock dimmer. And of what say is right about the incandescent bulbs it shouldn't be PWM.
/\/\ useless post 'HE'would be me the OP

Please confine your posts to actually saying something useful. Now go back and read what I posted for the actual information, dude.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
/\/\ useless post 'HE'would be me the OP

Please confine your posts to actually saying something useful. Now go back and read what I posted for the actual information, dude.

Sorry I couldn't grasp on what you were trying to ask. Well you have 2 scenarios going on. One scenario you're installing led's behind the dash in the original scenario installing aftermarket gauges and would like the stock dimmer switch to control the aftermarket gauges.
I apologize because the 2 scenarios seem like they were from 2 different people. But to answer your original statement pulse width modulation controller goes along with LED bulbs not incandescent bulbs.
Sorry again for my confusion