Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

HID help, OEM HIDs mangled

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HID help, OEM HIDs mangled

Hi guys,

I'm a bit lost and more than slightly annoyed I have an Evo VII, which I've had for about 2 months. After about a month my headlights blew, they were pretty dim, awful looking halogens and both died within a couple of days of each other. After taking my headlights out I was a bit lost as to what I was looking at. They clearly aren't stock HB4 halogens, my best guess is I had factory HIDs that have been hacked up by Australian compliance because they don't meet ADR standards. Clearly this hacked up terribly performing headlight that blows bulbs is much safer than what Mitsubishi came up with right? I don't like the idea of keeping this bodgy set-up the way it is and would like to sort it out properly.

Here is the factory HID ballast with its power wires hijacked to go straight into a halogen bulb.

Connects to the bulb with just a blade.

H1 bulb

Unfortunatly they did this to the ballast,

This has bee changed too right? If i remove the little metal adapter in the middle it would still fit a D2S bulb?

What I'm hoping is that I can just extend the power wires back into the HID ballast, which looks easy enough. Then buy a D2S extension cable, and wire that into where they cut the ballast wiring. Then it would just be a case of plugging in a D2S bulb. Any one able to offer me any help on this? I'm pretty competent at soldering (I've made a few amplifiers) and if its just a case of splicing some harnesses back in I'd be willing to give it a shot. If not is this something the average auto-electrician would happily take on?

Bloody compliance people, they didn't even bolt my back seat in properly...
Old May 3, 2015, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't think it was compliance people i just got 2 evo8 done last week and thay passed with stock hid the same hid in the evo 7. i think it was last owner jerry riging a 5$ globe cos he was a tight *** and did not won't to pay for a new globe. and as long as the light turn on that all you need for compliance.

Last edited by evilrain; May 3, 2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspected compliance because I remember a lot of the jzx100's had their HID's removed going through, maybe they don't do that anymore.

Anyway to close this out I ended up just buying a set of evo VII HID's which were damaged in a crash and transfered the wiring and ballasts over. Good to still have everything nice and OEM