Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

No factory radio harness 03 EVO???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No factory radio harness 03 EVO???

My little bro just got a 2003 Evo VIII. There was no radio in it. I do not believe its an RS model just a base model. I gave him a radio to put in the car and when I went to wire it up there was no factory radio harness. I got the radio harness from crutchfield and relocation kit from extreme psi for the evo.

There are speakers in the car. We had a door panel off and seen it and we also seen the ones in the rear.

I guess my question is how can I get power to the radio so I can get it working for him? I have no issue putting new wiring in for the speakers even though it will be a pain. He bought this as his daily commuter car so I would like to get this radio installed for him pretty quickly.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If it were an RS, it would have black mirrors and door handles. Weird that there is no harness. Nothing tucked away under the dash or center console? No cut wires?
What was in place of the stereo?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 08:38 PM

I was looking everywhere for cut wires, harness tucked away, anything that might lead to a radio harness. There is a boost gauge in the radio spot right now.

When I look in the fuse box there is no fuse in the radio spot either. And the plastic sticks up making it so I can not get a fuse in to it unless i cut that piece of plastic that is sticking up between where the two prongs for the fuse go in.

From what I believe it is not an RS. It has power windows. And it was bought at a dealership and they didn't say it was an RS like the others they had on their lot.

I looked everywhere I could think of. Behind the glove box. Up under the steering wheel. I was laying upside down under the driver side looking behind the fuse box and up under everything to see if it was just moved.

Every search I did says that the harness should be back there.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 07:37 AM
kaj

Yeah. I'm stumped. That's just weird.

I guess you could try to follow the speaker wires?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 02:00 PM

I am too. All my years of installing car audio (not as a professional just for friends) I never encountered something like this.

A guy I bought stuff from told me he worked for mitsubishi for a while and told me to pull the clock out and everything that it should be tucked away back there and raveled up. He said thats where they would have stashed it from the factory. This weekend when I have more time and its not raining out I will take a look and pull that all out. Hopefully it is there or I am going to have a hell of a time splicing in to everything and running new wires.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea I would pull the ac gauges everything and keep searching, also what I would do is follow the drive side speaker door harness to where it ends
Old Jul 24, 2016, 06:15 PM

I will try and trace the wiring when I get some time. I took the clock and everything out with no luck. Still can not find this harness. There is a white harness that looks capped at the bottom by the shifter but it does not look like it will fit the adapter that was bought for the radio. I need to do a further dash tear down to access it and look.

I think my best bet it so try and trace the wiring and see where it ends. Every time I get a chance to look at the evo I run out of sun light and have to put everything back together.

If anyone has any ideas or thinks they might have an answer for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 07:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by johntrav
I will try and trace the wiring when I get some time. I took the clock and everything out with no luck. Still can not find this harness. There is a white harness that looks capped at the bottom by the shifter but it does not look like it will fit the adapter that was bought for the radio. I need to do a further dash tear down to access it and look.

I think my best bet it so try and trace the wiring and see where it ends. Every time I get a chance to look at the evo I run out of sun light and have to put everything back together.

If anyone has any ideas or thinks they might have an answer for me it would be greatly appreciated.
I will take a look at mind if I can remember. my shift cables and everything are out right now so should build to see. A white harness sounds familiar but I don't remember if that was for my OEM gauges or stereo or both.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I will take a look at mind if I can remember. my shift cables and everything are out right now so should build to see. A white harness sounds familiar but I don't remember if that was for my OEM gauges or stereo or both.
I had the clock out and was down by the shifter and I cant find anything. no harness to be found. I was looking behind the glove box too and could not find anything. I might try and ask the dealership if they know anything. I know people have bought RS evos and had the dealsership install radios in them but it cost them like $1500 to have everything put in because it needed the wiring and everything. There is a radio fuse in it though under the hood. This sucker has to be around somewhere. There muse be something I am missing. I tried to trace some wires but they run in to so many and I lose them.

At this point I am completely lost lol. I need to figure this out though. It is really pissing me off.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 09:14 PM
kaj

there is a white harness that my stereo harness is plugged into. It sounds like you are just missing that piece (stereo harness). In my case, the stereo as well as power and ground for the OEM gauges all ran off the part you are missing.
Uncap the white harness in the car and plug this one in = good to go, yeah?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 08:09 AM

I am missing that white harness. What guages are you talking about. He doesnt have the three gauges that usually come with the MR. Or are you talking about the cluster. One day This week I am hoping he is off so we can do some digging around more. Usually we dont start until about 7 and run out of sunlight quick.

If there is a factory harness tucked away somewhere they did a damn good job of hiding it. There was no factory radio in the car either. The person before him had a boost gauge installed where the radio would go.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 09:09 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by johntrav
I am missing that white harness. What guages are you talking about. He doesnt have the three gauges that usually come with the MR. Or are you talking about the cluster. One day This week I am hoping he is off so we can do some digging around more. Usually we dont start until about 7 and run out of sunlight quick.

If there is a factory harness tucked away somewhere they did a damn good job of hiding it. There was no factory radio in the car either. The person before him had a boost gauge installed where the radio would go.
My post was confusing, sorry LOL.

You said you found a white plug with a cap? I'm thinking that's where the white harness goes that connects that plug and the stereo. In my case, that harness also supplied power and ground to the OEM gauges I used to have (not important, just stating in case someone happens to find this thread via search). It sounds like you are missing that white harness. If I remember right, it's about 6" long, or so.
My aftermarket stereo harness connects to the white one. I shoulda' taken a pictures. Sorry, man.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
My post was confusing, sorry LOL.

You said you found a white plug with a cap? I'm thinking that's where the white harness goes that connects that plug and the stereo. In my case, that harness also supplied power and ground to the OEM gauges I used to have (not important, just stating in case someone happens to find this thread via search). It sounds like you are missing that white harness. If I remember right, it's about 6" long, or so.
My aftermarket stereo harness connects to the white one. I shoulda' taken a pictures. Sorry, man.
I got to that white harness I found and it was not it. I found it down by the shifter. It sint plugged in to anything but it seemed too big to fit the adapter harness. I can take pictures and post them of behind the dash next time I am back there. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

I am wondering if it got tucked away but idk where anyone would have put it.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 07:55 AM

Mystery is over. I found all the wires and got the radio installed. Someone was behind the dash and cut out the OEM harness. Finally found all the wires cut and wrapped up in all the wires behind the dash. They had it all wrapped in electrical tape so I didnt see them at first. After a few hours of digging all the wires out and looking at the factory wire diagram everything is in there. Its not the way I like to install radios but its working as it should and sounds good.

Only thing is they cut the antenna wire and I did not see that so I will have to look up a way to get a new antenna wire in there so that I can get the FM/AM radio to work for him. Right now he can play CD's and use his phone though so technically thats all he needs but I like everything to work.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 09:34 AM
kaj

He's lucky to have a CD slot! I have USB ports and Bluetooth. Had to take all my old CDs, put them on my comp, covert to mp3, and use am iPod/thumb drive/etc.
Meh

Quick Reply: No factory radio harness 03 EVO???