Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Advice needed: Best anti-theft solution?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Advice needed: Best anti-theft solution?

Hey fellas.. I've been victim of car theft before and it is definitely not a good feeling. I had an 01 B5 s4 that got stolen from my driveway a few years back (quite a few years back that is).

I recently purchased an 06 Evo IX. What do you guys think is the best theft deterrent (other then a handgun) I know if they really want your car they will get it anyways but with that being said. What do you guys feel is the best way to go about this? Any specific alarm? Kill switches? Ect. I'd like to hear from people who are knowledgeable on this topic. I have a garage with key code ect but when I'm out an about I want to know my car is as safe as I can possibly make it. Thanks again fellas!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 09:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
A kill switch on a critical system, but one without volatile memory, like the fuel pump or ignition system is the best way to keep someone from driving away with the car. As for the alarm, the quality of the install itself is going to be more relevant to its ability to deter a thief then the actual alarm. Go with a decent quality alarm for sure, but the amount of time the thief takes to defeat it is really what matters. You could have the most advanced alarm on the market, but if all i have to do is reach my arm under the dash and unplug the harness, its not doing much for you. So finding a good install shop that is going to put in the work to make sure the alarm is hard to access and manipulate is going to be key. Same goes for the kill switch, the more creative and unique you can be with it the more effective it will be.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks biggie. Good looking out!

Your advice. Plain and simple? What do you suggest I go for? Is there a particular alarm in mind? I live in New Jersey which has a ton of scumbag thief's lurking around.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
if someone wants it, they will take it at all costs. the only thing we can do is make it harder for them to take it. i still put a club on my steering wheel (yeah i know LOL). you could also try pulling the ecu/efi fuse every night?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:15 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Any of directed electronics line of alarms will be fine, it's really a matter of features your looking for. Stay away from remote start though that really just makes it too easy to steal.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would personally feel a lot better having a kill switch for the injectors, or fuel pump. All you would have to do is wire up an inline switch to either, and put it in a location hard to normally guess, and boom, they won't be able to start your car.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.ravelco.com/index.html

Awhile back I was searching & found this. I never picked one up so I can't comment on how well it works.
As others have said, it all about making it as difficult as possible.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice guys! Always open to learn more!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?
I was thinking on buying a tiger. =p