Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help with ignition switch/key

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 08:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Help with ignition switch/key

Long story short, I picked up a stripped 8 shell and it's super stripped. I'm down to only needing an ecu and ignition switch for the interior. I've found several ECU's, one with immobilizer and key and one without. I have an immobilizer, but nothing else for it. Neither have an ignition switch to them.

So my question/problem is, what do I do from here? Can I get any ignition switch and have it made to use the key that comes with an ECU/immobilizer, or would I be better off getting an ignition with the key and programming it to a different immobilizer? Or dishing out the $3-400 for ignition/key/ecu/immobilizer once I'm able to find such.

TIA.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Not sure about the dealer in your area, but I just bought an ignition w/key from Mitsubishi for 69.99, then it costs 85 for them to program the transponder in the key.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO
Not sure about the dealer in your area, but I just bought an ignition w/key from Mitsubishi for 69.99, then it costs 85 for them to program the transponder in the key.

I finally found an ignition with matching ECU and immobilizer, but somehow during shipping the key was lost and I'm unable to get a refund. Would a dealership still cut a key for a car with an ignition that didn't come in it? I tried a lock smitch and he wouldn't touch the car because everything is from a different vehicle.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 02:36 PM

For what it's worth, the nearest dealership is several hours from me.