Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 5 Wireloom vs Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 5 Wireloom vs Evo 8

Good day,

I have a 98 Evo 5 RS (jdm) which I bought fairly recently and have been having some issues with the car.

After much back and forth we've found that several of the connectors (13 in fact) were burnt or damaged and several wires were disconnected or cut and reconnected w/o solder or even electrical tape (both in the engine bay and interior harnesses).

Sigh.

The car has in an Evo 8 engine and ECU.

My questions are:
  1. Can I use an Evo 8 wireloom in the car?
  2. Are there any major differences between the 2?
  3. I was told that I could also rebuild my current loom since finding an Evo 5/6 wireloom is a needle in a haystack.
  4. I was told that some of the connectors from the regular Lancer can be used. Is this true? If so, are these from specific Lancers (MX, GSR etc)?
  5. I was also told that some Suzuki harnesses have the same connectors. Is this true? If yes, which Suzuki?
  6. Was also told that the Evo 4 has the same interior harness has the Evo 5/6 but the engine harness is different. Any truth to this?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 08:28 PM

pics

​​​​​​​I don't have a complete list of all the connectors but I do know that the primary and secondary fuel relays, the knock sensor, the 4 fuel injector connections, the speed sensor and more are damaged. Here are a few pictures that I got it from my mech:

Name:  downloadfile-3_zpsxliumo93.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  downloadfile-4_zps1azz1ipo.jpeg
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  downloadfile-5_zps3a1hsixk.jpeg
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  downloadfile-7_zpsqnktdhzk.jpeg
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  downloadfile-8_zps2segzdyk.jpeg
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  downloadfile-9_zpswzqozutk.jpeg
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  downloadfile-10_zps2wg8xf0t.jpeg
Size:  95.1 KB

A relay has been wired to the small fuse box on the drivers side of the engine bay. Still not sure why.
Name:  downloadfile-6_zpstcnjxvqc.jpeg
Size:  123.3 KB
Old Mar 18, 2017, 07:54 PM

bump! I want to know too if we can use a evo 8 wireloom in the evo 5 without problems?