Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with spark plug....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with spark plug....

Here is one of the plug when I pull it out. The other 3 is the same. The plug is black and seem to be foul. The plus is the denso IW24. Is the car running rich? Could be due to my boost leak. Can I reuse it or need to toss it?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Help with spark plug....-resize-img_1092.jpg  

Last edited by GOKOU; Nov 3, 2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

From just looking at it, I am saying alittle rich or alittle bit to cold or both. I have never had good luck with the denso IW24 or the NGK BR8ES. I think it is because it is acutaly 1.5 heat ranges colder since the head of the plug isn't protruding (can't spell it). Just my .02

Last edited by GTVEVO; Nov 3, 2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

I used to use the Denso IW24 then I went back to the used stockers that I saved when I put in the Denso. The NGK stockers seemed to be better.
I've noticed that the Denso is a bit shorter than the stock NGK so I believe the Denso IW24 is not the most efficient plugs for the Evo.

Also, remember going to colder plug might not be the best choice unless you drive really hard alot or running little lean. Spark plugs must reach certain temp to clean itself and if you don't reach that temp, the plugs will foul alot faster.

BTW, Denso IW22 is what's listed as being the plug for the 2003 Evo.

Last edited by simevo; Nov 4, 2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. I now have the BR7ES but the car will sometime pop when I let off on the throttle. I guess this is normal with cars with turboback and catless. When I had the denso on the car never pop though.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Thanks guys. I now have the BR7ES but the car will sometime pop when I let off on the throttle. I guess this is normal with cars with turboback and catless. When I had the denso on the car never pop though.

You should be running BPR7ES ont BR7ES. Make sure you have them gapped correctly .028 or maybe less depending on the amout of boost you want to run but I would start with that gap first. Don't know if that will fix your problem but if it is poping, this is becuase your fuel isn't cutting off on decell. So you will need to make fueling changes or troubleshoot the changes you have made reciently. Maybe FPR set wrong ECU Flash or EMS Decell setting.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
You should be running BPR7ES ont BR7ES. Make sure you have them gapped correctly .028 or maybe less depending on the amout of boost you want to run but I would start with that gap first. Don't know if that will fix your problem but if it is poping, this is becuase your fuel isn't cutting off on decell. So you will need to make fueling changes or troubleshoot the changes you have made reciently. Maybe FPR set wrong ECU Flash or EMS Decell setting.
Thanks. The plugs that is in the car right now is the BPR7ES gapped at .028. I will take it out tonight and see how they look like. I do have dynoflash and the car had some boost leak after clutch install which I recently fix (hope). Planning to to reflash this Saturday so hope that will fix the popping. My understanding was that popping was normal but I curious because it wasn't doing that before. I just hop I don't have another boost or exhaust leak somewhere.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. The plugs that is in the car right now is the BPR7ES gapped at .028. I will take it out tonight and see how they look like. I do have dynoflash and the car had some boost leak after clutch install which I recently fix (hope). Planning to to reflash this Saturday so hope that will fix the popping. My understanding was that popping was normal but I curious because it wasn't doing that before. I just hop I don't have another boost or exhaust leak somewhere.
Well with the dynoflash that I have seen it did sound different durning decelaration becuase the fuel doest get cut completely off like the stock program but this should only give you a small rumble and not a bunch of popping. A bad exhaust leak may make it sound louder but it could also be fuel left over in the exhaust due to over fueling but if it were this bad I would think you car would cut out and things when trying to accel fast. Is this a custom tune or mail in, and if it is a mail in do you run a 255 pump?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
Well with the dynoflash that I have seen it did sound different durning decelaration becuase the fuel doest get cut completely off like the stock program but this should only give you a small rumble and not a bunch of popping. A bad exhaust leak may make it sound louder but it could also be fuel left over in the exhaust due to over fueling but if it were this bad I would think you car would cut out and things when trying to accel fast. Is this a custom tune or mail in, and if it is a mail in do you run a 255 pump?
I had a custom dynoflash and before the clutch install I never had any problem with backfire or popping. It started to happen when I put in the BPR7ES. The car will pop sometimes when I push on the gas pedal lightly and then let go. I have the walboro 255 pump which seems to be more noisy in the cold weather. Either I'm running lean or too rich. I'm also running a VTA bov and that could be the reason but it never happen before. Hope to get it fix this Saturday with another custom reflash.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I had a custom dynoflash and before the clutch install I never had any problem with backfire or popping. It started to happen when I put in the BPR7ES. The car will pop sometimes when I push on the gas pedal lightly and then let go. I have the walboro 255 pump which seems to be more noisy in the cold weather. Either I'm running lean or too rich. I'm also running a VTA bov and that could be the reason but it never happen before. Hope to get it fix this Saturday with another custom reflash.
Yep I can say your best bet is the Custom flash (Added a little for sound) then adding the VTA bov is causing this a low throttle because of the fuel being dumped. So the combo of the two is probably you problem but mainly the BOV. But honestly unless it is really loud and basically backfiring it probably isn't that big of an issue. I don't know if you custom flash can help any due to the VTA bov but they might be able to correct it alittle bit. Atleast it sounds like you will be getting some results soon enought so I hope all goes well.