Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Codes Pulled, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Codes Pulled, What to do?

DTC P0420: Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

Thats with the Helix cat. I also have a Buschur CEL eliminator chip, will that cancel it?

Then, this is a doozy...

DTC P0401: EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

Vacuum leak? Anyone ever experince this? Its been around for a while.....before I modded the car, after my clutch and tranny rebuild for the first time. never went off since (light ON always since, I mean).

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its one of two things (The EGR error) its either the connector isn't connected, or the connector or unit got damaged..

the p0420 error happens to me if my car is idling really rich.. If my car is stuck in open loop for some reason or another with my mods.. Its no surprise though, depending on how rich the car runs, the catalytic converter may not light off right away, triggering the error when the two O2 sensors get the same reading for some duration. The Buschur O2 eliminator should help if thats the reason.

Definitely check for a vacuum leak though, since a vacuum leak can have a huge impact on fueling... also make sure your BOV/DV isn't "bleeding off air" at idle..
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Malibu,

May I sign up for one of your courses? That brain MUST be picked.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Check this for P0401
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=egr+hose

Last edited by n00dle; Dec 18, 2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Jack, Im still a rookie at a lot of this stuff, "bleeding off air" at idle....

BTW, Im running an SAFCII with Buschur settings, set a little richer just because of the helix, I wanted to keep a safety margin. Im going to pull the AFC because I need the car to pass PA inspection, so I can't have that CEL on. Any way to disconnect the light?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Just went out to the car, checked the connection, the hose, most of the vacuum lines before I started freezing my juevos off, so ....I'll have to go at it some other time. Damn inspections...Car runs fine BTW
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Disconnecting the light won't eliminate the CEL, but you should reset it to get rid of it and see if it comes back...

You never mentioned the S-AFC earlier.. Though thats likely not the issue unless its tapped into something related to the O2 sensor and causing it to come on.

Some of these high-flow cats just don't do much besides act as resonators.. Some take awhile to light off and if the car warms up before the CAT starts working correctly in closed loop, it'll trigger a CEL...

If you have a VTA blowoff valve, you can hold your hand over the discharge of the BOV and can feel if air is coming out.. If you are recirculated, its a little more difficult since you'd have to disconnect the pipe between, and its likely not causing it to run rich if your recirculated anyway.. THerefore if you have a stock or recirculated BOV, then you may have to look for a vacuum leak that is affecting your idle mixture.

Ahh damn, I had a brain fart and lost my train of thought.. I'll follow up on this later.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh, if its set a little richer, then you only have to be cautious of the RPM that it becomes richer.. If its below 4000rpm it may be whats causing it.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I already cleared the codes and they came back. Actually, the light returned, I haven't had any time to check to see if the codes came back. Im pretty sure the cat light will come on, as I had the system on for 1 week and the code was there, so I figured that length of time, theres a problem. Im putting in the chip tommorow fo the O2 sensor. As for the EGR, Im stumped.....I really need just to get the light off, as to not have any questions. The county which I live in doesn't require emissions testing other than a visual inspection of the car (i.e., see if its got a cat). So....what to do...

I also set to the Buschur specs, which would keep it close...any idea how to disconnect the damn light?

God I wish I had an EMS at this point in time.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, if you have a field harness on your ECU's wiring harness for the S-AFC, you have to find the CEL light wire, if you put a switch on that wire, you can shut the light off... Do a search for the wiring diagram for the ECU pinouts.. find the engine light wire in the diagram..
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by feldguy
God I wish I had an EMS at this point in time.
Trust me, an EMS is a great tool, but leads to a whole new list of headaches until you get it up and running perfectly. (unless Dave buschur configures it for you! )
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

feldguy,

Do they hook up a scan tool in PA for inspection ?

If they do. Even if you disconnect the SES light, the ECU still has the code stored in it and they'll be looking if you have any codes.

BTW... 420 is a two trip detection code meaning the ECU has to see the problem twice ( two key cycle of the ignition switch ) before it sets the light.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

I understand all of the above, but check this out. http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/...a/info_non.htm

I live in an "other" county, not requiring an emissiosn test.....so I dont even think a place like a mom n pop shop will have a friggin diagnostic tool to do it, let alone even car about a CEL. Im going to get it turned off, and add a switch in to PIN #36, so I can just ave it off. If they do have an OBD2 port, I'll just bite the bullet and chase down the gremlins. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep.. It doesn't eliminate the code, just turns off the light..
Old Dec 18, 2004, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=MalibuJack]Its one of two things (The EGR error) its either the connector isn't connected, or the connector or unit got damaged..
That code is really not related to a connection failure or faulty sensor. Actually , the EGR flow sensor is working correctly for that code to be flagged. The p0401 code is most likely related to the vacuum hose being disconnected from the EGR valve under the intake manifold. Right under the throttle body you will see a diaphram, this is the EGR. Make sure the vacuum line is still connected to the bottom of the EGR. It may be dangling around there. Put it back on and zip tie that baby!! you're done

Quick Reply: Engine Codes Pulled, What to do?