Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MSD 6A Ignition or AEM ignition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:21 AM
MR
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD 6A Ignition or AEM ignition

Anybody have tried both the ignition systems?

I'm thinking of getting one but do not know which to get?

With stronger sparks, do we need a colder spark plug?

Please advise....

Thanks?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket turbo? There is little gain or difference in an ignition system under the 375 AWHP level. You may notice a small change but not enough to warrant the price. You'd know when you were blowing the spark out and a high power ignition is necessary. Personally, I am going to get the coil on plug/AEM setup that is sold by several vendors when I need an ignition. I'm at 340 AWHP and haven't found the need.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:09 AM
MR
Evolving Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the valuable inputs....i'm currently at 382hp, i'm not sure whether i need..

Do you have any ideas what are the some of the causes of mis-firing at high rev?

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Do you have an aftermarket turbo? There is little gain or difference in an ignition system under the 375 AWHP level. You may notice a small change but not enough to warrant the price. You'd know when you were blowing the spark out and a high power ignition is necessary. Personally, I am going to get the coil on plug/AEM setup that is sold by several vendors when I need an ignition. I'm at 340 AWHP and haven't found the need.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

what plug gap are you running?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

If you have 382 HP at the wheels then you could probably see some benefit from having an ignition setup. You can also increase your plug gap a little bit too with the ignition.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:02 PM
MR
Evolving Member

no, no...its 382 at the engine....if its the wheel, i would have a big grin on my face now...haha....

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
If you have 382 HP at the wheels then you could probably see some benefit from having an ignition setup. You can also increase your plug gap a little bit too with the ignition.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:03 PM
MR
Evolving Member

I tink its NGK 8...a grade colder than the stock i tink....

Originally Posted by Crazy4Cars
what plug gap are you running?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Although its not a required upgrade, and most tuners say its not necessary, I tend to disagree.. But not so much for the better "performance" reasons, since you really need to be dealing with ignition problems such as high boost blowing out the spark or other issues quenching the spark..

What nobody takes into account is when you run colder plugs, and bigger gaps, and slightly higher boost, you get some level of misfire in daily driving which an improved ignition system can will with. Also, an upgraded ignition system will "Start" the engine easier when its cold.

There is definitely benefit to be had with an upgraded ignition..

WITH THAT SAID, the only plug and play setup available currently to use the stock coils is the HKS-DLI2

If you use an AEM C2DI setup, you might want to step up to a coil on plug setup, but at the least your going to have to upgrade your stock coils.

For the expense, there's not much tangable gains to be had from a performance standpoint, and that is why most don't recommend this type of upgrade unless your making quite a bit of horsepower.

You do need a 2 channel ignition upgrade though, which means an MSD 6A box will not work..
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Hmm.. I rambled a bit, but hopefully that made sense.. Basically unless your making quite a bit of horsepower, the improved ignition won't generate a noticable difference in performance.. I guess thats my whole point..
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to see you got it all out straight, Malibu.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:41 PM
MR
Evolving Member

Thanks Malibu & Evotexas.....Great help indeed....

Thanks again....
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

I am currently in the process of fabricating my own coil "per" plug setup using the AEM CDI and 4 MSD Blaster SS Coils. I am changing due to one of my coil packs going out the other day, had the CDI laying around and ordered the coils from Summit. Using some 2g DSM plug wires from Taylor and mounted the coils to the plate that held the small battery from Buschur and re-located the factory battery to the trunk. Going to wire the coils in series using only 2 triggers off of the AEM EMS, not 4, running waste spark. Total cost is much less than what I have seen elsewhere.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Your doing the same thing I'm doing, only I'm using Honda Motorcycle coils since they fit under the plug cover and generate better output than the stock coils they also refresh much faster, which means the multi-spark discharge feature at idle and low RPM works better. I'm missing the connectors off a set of stock burnt out coils.. anyone got a set? PM me..
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

here
Attached Thumbnails MSD 6A Ignition or AEM ignition-777.jpg  
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crazy4Cars
here
And

Quick Reply: MSD 6A Ignition or AEM ignition