evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by: World Racing

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old May 7, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (5)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: '05 Evo VIII --> SOLD for an '08 Acura TL

Signs of a bad front diff?

I have been complaining about a "howling" noise on the front of my car. I have it up on the lift right now. I get 1.25" of play when moving the drivers side tire before the pass side moves. I get 2.25" of play on the pass. side before the drivers side tire moves. Is this a bad front diff? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Old May 7, 2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (15)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Latin Women Crazy!!!

Jack the car up so both front tires are in the air and turn the left wheel and the other right wheel should turn the opposite way if not then your front diff might be having some problems

Old May 8, 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Evolving Member
2005 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
My Garage

Drives: Electric car or the "van"

Jon At Tre **** twitter too
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-evo8
I have been complaining about a "howling" noise on the front of my car. I have it up on the lift right now. I get 1.25" of play when moving the drivers side tire before the pass side moves. I get 2.25" of play on the pass. side before the drivers side tire moves. Is this a bad front diff? Any help would be great. Thanks!
If this an 05 EVO it will have a helical limited slip front differential and due to the nature of the design, how much backlash there is between the two front tires will vary a little over the life of the unit.

Jon@teamrip.com

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: GSX R 1000

Lightbulb Broken Front DIFF...

Hey If You Have A 2003-2004 EVOLUTION I Have A Diff In Perfect Condition Only About 2,000 Miles On It Before Got The Quafe Upgrade Let Me Know I Can Help You Out

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (20)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: 2003 Evo VIII

I got a stock diff for sale too, lol check my sig

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Funny how this thread comes to life.

I still have the same problem. Just had my transfer case replaced under warranty (what a pain that was). Just got the car back after it being down at the dealership a month. Two days later, everytime I turn under throttle, I'm getting a metallic sound and the front of the car feels like it is binding up. Also, sometimes when downshifting into 2nd when coming down a hill, as I let the clutch out (exedy twin), the front of the car starts to hop. Anyone have any ideas?

*Note: Driveshaft and rear diff were also replaced becuase the dealership wouldnt believe me that the TC was the problem.

** ALSO - can someone tell me where the front and center diff's are? I have read far to many conflicting threads. Some say TC and some say left and right of the tranny.

2005 Evo with under 10k on it.

Injen Intake | APS BOV | 3" AMS TBE | AMS LICP | Warlbro 255 | 42 Draft Kit ---> SOLD for an '08 Acura TL.

Last edited by j-evo8; Jul 6, 2005 at 06:36 PM.

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: GSX R 1000

Lightbulb Diff In The Front

The Front Diff.. Is In The TC... I Know For Sure I Used To Hang Out At Road Race Enginering All Of The Time And Is Where I Got My Work Done(The Best Evolution Shop Ever)... The Only Way That Your TC Will Be Destroyed Is From A Broken Front Diff. When The Diff. Breaks The Peices Of The Broken Diff. Shoot Around In The TC Ripping The Inside To Pieces

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:48 PM   #8
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

If not a front diff, then the center diff? Im running out of ideas. The TC has ~150 miles on it since it was replaced. HOWEVER: the tech filled the TC up with the fluid for the rear diff, not the standard TC fluid. They just swapped that fluid out today and put in the correct stuff. ANYONE have ANY ideas?! Ive been without my car for over a month.

Injen Intake | APS BOV | 3" AMS TBE | AMS LICP | Warlbro 255 | 42 Draft Kit ---> SOLD for an '08 Acura TL.

Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:07 PM   #9
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (10)
Garage is empty, add now

your dealership put rear diff fluid in your TC? how long did you ride like that for?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (4)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: evo 8

Send a message via AIM to ebbeast2005
my car wines real loud when i down shift what is this. ive allready had tranny rebuilt (stock)

Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:20 PM   #11
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (9)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: Black/Black BMW M6

Send a message via AIM to ThEHiTMaN
Mmmm I read alot of these threads... Just wondering why some people have problems and I haven't with 17K on the clock?
Greddy Profec B Spec II / GT35R turbo kit / Exedy Twin HD / HKS 272's / BR Dual Spring/Ti Retainers / Dejon Tools 4" intake / Buschur Race Core FMIC / Buschur UICP/ ARP Head Studs / Walbro 255 / Buschur 880's / Zeitronix ZT2 Wideband / Mellon ECU Flash / 3" Turbo Back / Cat Delete / Apexi N-1 muffler / K & N Cone Filter / Forge Evo15 DV / UK Evo 7 Tail Lights / Advan RS Gunmetal 18x9 +29 / 245-40-18 RE050A PP /
***SOLD***

BMW M6 / RPI Scoops and BMC Air Filters / ASR Gen 2 Exhaust

Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:20 PM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, bad, broken, case, diff, differential, evo, evolution, evolutionm, front, howl, lsd, noise, problem, signs, transfer