Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Install... Read this first.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so is it possible to reverse the rough idle after the cams are already installed? I was told you cannot since they are hydraulic........not sure why that would matter, but then again, I am a newb....
Old Sep 26, 2007, 02:41 PM

hey

Sort of noob here, I have a weird head tick that i just cant find where its coming from! You can hear the tick once warmed up, there's a slight tick at idle. You hear the tick once you let offf the throttle(on decelleration) stops ticking once the rpms go under 2500 but then you can hear again at idle. Could this be a lifter? i do have hks 272 cams and adjustable cam gears. I DID PRIME THE LIFTER DURING INSTALL. The tick slowly came out of nowhere after some time, and aventually got a little louder.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:45 AM

to get the lifters out u got to take the head out also or no???
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they're under the cams. They just come off. Literally. You just lift them off, so be careful.

As for the ticking, I would rebleed the lifters. Dirty oil can also cause lifter tick.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:25 PM

Lucky i read this coz im installing 272/272 hks cams real soon
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me the 50,000 mile lifter tick was solved by performing the diesel fuel wash procedure per FSM. Use three consecutive washes in clean solvent then keep them filled up when you stick them back in.

No ticking since then - been about 9000 miles
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I installed a set of GSC S1 cams over a week ago, didn't bleed the lifters, and I'm not getting a tapping noise. I guess I'm lucky?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

also I am curious if adjustable cam gears are needed when installing comp 272s.... about to do the install just want to know if I should get some... figured you would be the people to ask..
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bounthai
how do u bleed the lifters?
Did you read the thread posted first?

Originally Posted by timzcat
Remove the lifter from the head and insert a "pin" in the center bore. Most use a paper clip to do this. I used a cdrom drive ejector tool if you ever seen one. I think a small allen wrench would work well too since it stiffer. We are talking a 1/16th allen wrench or the larger size paper clip.
Put the pin down through the top of lifter and apply a small amount of pressure to unseat the check ball in the lifter. You'll know you have it cause you can immediately start to move the top of the lifter in. Pump the the piston in and out with the pin in place until you can do it without the pin. Basically when you unseat it and push on the piston you are going to be pushing oil out so be careful because if you do it fast you will shoot oil out of the lifter.
Originally Posted by timzcat
Easiest thing I found was to hold the lifter in one hand.
Put the pin in the lifter until it is all the way in. Use your thumb and forefinger to pinch the pin really close to the piston. Now push the pin in and at the same time your fingers will be meeting the piston so you can push it in and out while holding the pin in place. It's not very difficult to do, harder to explain. First one your kind of like wtf but then you figure it out and they are easy.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good thread to have around.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:19 AM

Hi Guys,

I dont know which combination to get. 262/272 cams or 272/272 (both HKS)? Whats the difference? Please help me out.

My car is an evo 8 stock turbo with HKS rs kit and HKS intercooler kit.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I recently installed a set of GSC S1 Cams and followed this post for bleeding the lifters. When I started the car for the first time the lifters I still heard the ticking. After I took the car for a 15 minute drive the ticking went away and everything is working great.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtremeIX
I recently installed a set of GSC S1 Cams and followed this post for bleeding the lifters. When I started the car for the first time the lifters I still heard the ticking. After I took the car for a 15 minute drive the ticking went away and everything is working great.
I followed it and bled mine as well and had the tick. Having the tick is good to hear after the install IMO, that means the lifters aren't over extended and you won't damage anything during initial use (driving like that all the time isn't good though). Once the lifters fill up with the proper amount of oil to take up the slack they will adjusted perfectly for the new cams. Doing the 3000rpm trick stopped the noise after 5-8 times for me. This helps increase the oil pressure so it reaches the lifters a lot easier while forcing the lifters to open and close to their maximum length.

Quiet as a mouse.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Jan 15, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:07 AM

some good infor, i install with a friend and don't do the bleed part but is all find
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:35 PM

How many if you drove around for a while without getting tuned?
Thanks Timzcat for posting this even if it was out of frustration

Quick Reply: Cam Install... Read this first.