Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

buschur smc alky road race

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buschur smc alky road race

For all those wondering how long the reservoir would last. I ran at VIR, a 4.2 mile road coarse, last weekend and managed each 25 minute session fine without the low level indicator lighting up. The system ran flawlessly. The tank was low at the end of each session, but not critically low. There were several sections of track that the pump stayed on for quite a while through several gears. The front straight up to 140mph, lower and upper esses 100+mph, and the back straight from 2nd gear to 125+mph. So, as you can see, I was in the boost ALOT. I was running boost at 24-25psi with afr's at around 10:1. EGT's were nice and low all day.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Has your control unit ever flaked on you,im on my second one and its having problems.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

no problems with the controller at all. The kit didn't come with a check valve, but Steve at smc sent me one. The alky was draining back down and when I would boost, the pump would have to prime the line again before it would spray. That only happened after cruising for 10-15 minutes without activating the system. If I was using it every few minutes it was fine. Should be ok now with the check valve.

One serious issue though, my pump is leaking from the top.

This is what I found posted from Julio at alkycontrol:

"I had called Shurflo some time ago and the engineer said that when you run the pumps on a small orfice at higher pressures it cuases the pressure switch to chatter. Which means the santoprene disc seal under the switch can tear from repeated flexing. At lower pressures its not a problem."

Supposedly there is a new teflon disc and new seal available that fixes this issue. You should also use red loctite on the screws because they tend to back themselves out from the vibration.

I haven't heard back from SMC about my leaky pump. I only emailed him 5 minutes ago I'll post up the fix when I figure it out.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

good 2 know
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

smc got back to me yesterday and said that the pumps are different than the alkycontrol ones. He offered to ship me two new caps and seals or he would pay for me to priority ship the whole thing back. He said he would repair it same day and priority ship it back. to smc custmer care