Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is oil supposed to be here?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is oil supposed to be here?

I'm no engine guru, but I wanted to make sure oil wasn't supposed to be in here.

I was leaking a little bit of oil after I had my cams installed a little while ago, and tonight I was finally able to get around to changing the valve cover gasket, since that's where it was leaking from. I popped off the spark plug cover and there is some oil in there. I figure, that's not good, so I cleaned it up. Figured some bubbled up or something. Wasn't a lot, just enough to cover the bottom part with a thin sheet.

Then I pull the valve cover off and look in the #3 cylinder (2nd from drivers side?) at the plug. There is a pool of oil in that cylinder. I get my spark plug socket and start to loosen it and then pull it out and it is about a half inch deep. I then retighten the spark plug and shove a rag in there to get as much as possible. All the other cylinders had nice clean walls where the spark plug was in.

How bad is my engine? My car hasn't thrown a code in the month or two it is probably accumulated there, so I don't think it's causing my spark plug to foul out. Am I losing power because of it? Or is it just nothing to worry about and next time I change my plugs just let it drain out in the combustion chamber to be burned on the next couple cycles?

Sorry for the long post, just curious.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

when you changed the valve cover gasket, did you al;so replace the tube seals?? The spark plug tube seals. under the valve cover where the spark plugs hole are.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

No, I didn't get any of those when I got my valve cover gasket. Guess I need to goto the mitsu dealer and get some.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

that will fix the problem.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Am I losing any power or damaging my engine by not doing it right now? I probably won't have time to put them in for a couple weeks.

thanks for the help.