Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird Noise Exedy Twin Disc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Noise Exedy Twin Disc

I had an Exedy Twin Disc (metallic) installed almost a month ago @ Buschur...

For about the past two weeks I've been getting this weird sound while taking off slowly from a dead stop. It happens in hot/cold wet/dry weather. The noise goes away after the clutch is fully engauged and the car is moving.

This noise is kind of hard to describe.. it's fairly loud so there is no missing it. It sounds like its coming from around the front driver wheel area. It sounds kind of like "wwwwwraaaah" A sort of high pitched noise that almost sounds like something is binding together. You can kind of "feel" it in the pedal/floor.

It happens when I'm just taking off easy.. I don't really hear anything with a more aggressive launch. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone.. If not I'll try my best to make a sound clip or two tonight.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

I got the same noise on my car. Happened with the stock clutch as well as the exedy twin i have in there now. Havent had any luck getting this problem fixed. I get this noise on a downshift as well when letting out the clutch.

I too am looking for an answer. I have had the throwout bearing, throwout bearing retainer replaced and its still there.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
I had an Exedy Twin Disc (metallic) installed almost a month ago @ Buschur...

For about the past two weeks I've been getting this weird sound while taking off slowly from a dead stop. It happens in hot/cold wet/dry weather. The noise goes away after the clutch is fully engauged and the car is moving.

This noise is kind of hard to describe.. it's fairly loud so there is no missing it. It sounds like its coming from around the front driver wheel area. It sounds kind of like "wwwwwraaaah" A sort of high pitched noise that almost sounds like something is binding together. You can kind of "feel" it in the pedal/floor.

It happens when I'm just taking off easy.. I don't really hear anything with a more aggressive launch. Maybe this will ring a bell with someone.. If not I'll try my best to make a sound clip or two tonight.

Typical for a twin disc. The RPS does it too. It's kind of like a groan. You may find you get it on the downshift also.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jaylenospoolboy
Typical for a twin disc. The RPS does it too. It's kind of like a groan. You may find you get it on the downshift also.
Definitely typical for a twin disk. I have the RPS clutch also, and my buddy has the Exedy twin, and we both get something like this. A lot of the twins make this noise. Also, a ton of clutch chatter. Should be OK
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

My twin disc would groan all the time when I first got it. Then about 3 months later, I went to the drag strip and cut some blazing 2.1 sec 60' ft times and the sound has gone away. I think the plates get glazed from normal driving.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

The chatter I can deal with but this noise is really annoying.. I also get it on downshifts sometimes when letting off the clutch. I'm glad to see this isn't a major problem though.. I'm going to pull the undertray off and look around tonight so I can sleep better

I'll still try to post up some sound files for people that have this problem in the future.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I've had the Exedy twin for about 8 months. It does make some deceleration noises, which are normal and doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure about the sound you're getting though. I think it really takes a while to break in the clutch. The first 1000 miles I would get some strange noises and transmission clunks. But, that eventually smoothed out. Its smooth as silk now. You might just need to give it some time. I think the clutch is fantastic and one of the best upgrades for the Evo.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I get the same groaning (howling) sound, my twin disk was installed by Buschur also. After the install I got very loud clutch chatter when you would disengage the clutch. It somewhat died down after getting some miles on the clutch, but the noise is normal.

I got the groning noise with the stock clutch also. It happens when the clutch starts to engage but if you're slightly rolling it won't do it, It also happens on downshifts.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... I still wonder what exactly it is.. I cant recall if I ever had the sound with my stock clutch.. although I think I maybe have on a couple occasions.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:43 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
its the friction materials making the noise i believe. Its normal and my triple disc exedy has it as well as my act having it when i would first take off and if i downshift fast...its like a raaaaaaaarrrrrrr or something weird like that (a groan /growl noise from a dying animal....lol)
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodave
its the friction materials making the noise i believe. Its normal and my triple disc exedy has it as well as my act having it when i would first take off and if i downshift fast...its like a raaaaaaaarrrrrrr or something weird like that (a groan /growl noise from a dying animal....lol)

We have a winner...

Yeah, I would say what you are hearing is the ceremetallic facing making the noise on disengagement... its possibly the TOB is making the noise, but not likely.

-M
Old Jul 19, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys.. I guess I'll just learn to deal with it
Old Jul 19, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

yeah its a groan i had the same noise, someone told me its when its gettin slipped in its normal, i've gone to a few auto-x events and its gone away. so just give it some time
Old Aug 3, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Man this noise still frustrates me. It's audible outside the car so I get a lot of weird looks. I also think my disc's might be warped. I get some nasty shaking when taking off about half the time. I had this the day it was installed and I didn't think anything of it.

It's getting to the point where I get frustrated everytime I drive the car. The more weight/people I have in the car the worse the noise is.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

ttt

Quick Reply: Weird Noise Exedy Twin Disc