Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My car is making a *thud* *thud* *thud* sound... is it my ACT clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is making a *thud* *thud* *thud* sound... is it my ACT clutch?

I got a clutch installed last week - only recently did this sound start occuring, so I'm not sure if it's the clutch, but it's the only thing I've recently touched on my car.

Basically, I'll hear a *thud* *thud* *thud* sound that appears to be in sync with my idle. I have cams, so I can definitely tell it's in sync (and not just random). I can only hear it from INSIDE the cabin, not from outside, and it sounds like something is thudding against the frame/chassis of the car. It's a very dull sound, not like a clang, so I know it's not metal against metal. At first I thought maybe it was part of my exhaust thudding against the bottom of the car (I recently switched out my HF cat for a test pipe), but when I looked underneath it looked like there was a lot of clearance between the exhaust and the chassis.

This could be a normal sound of the ACT clutch - but this is my first aftermarket clutch, so I don't know if I should be expecting these sounds.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

16k on my ACT, no such noise here.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

it's probably your dp....when they installed your clutch...it probably got moved over a bit? you have a 3 incher?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

you get in that rubbing on WOT or turns or take offs? Wouldn't a clutch "Chatter" if it was messing up?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No thudding here. I have about 6,000 on my ACT (and that's even with burning the crap out of it by accident). It's still holding fine.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zstryder
I got a clutch installed last week - only recently did this sound start occuring, so I'm not sure if it's the clutch, but it's the only thing I've recently touched on my car.

Basically, I'll hear a *thud* *thud* *thud* sound that appears to be in sync with my idle. I have cams, so I can definitely tell it's in sync (and not just random). I can only hear it from INSIDE the cabin, not from outside, and it sounds like something is thudding against the frame/chassis of the car. It's a very dull sound, not like a clang, so I know it's not metal against metal. At first I thought maybe it was part of my exhaust thudding against the bottom of the car (I recently switched out my HF cat for a test pipe), but when I looked underneath it looked like there was a lot of clearance between the exhaust and the chassis.

This could be a normal sound of the ACT clutch - but this is my first aftermarket clutch, so I don't know if I should be expecting these sounds.

Any ideas?
Alex, that's not something I've ever experienced in 7 years with 5-6 ACT clutches, so I don't think it's related, but if it is, it needs to be remedied. Did you talk to ISP or whoever installed it?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you get this while moving? If so make sure your tires are torqued correctly.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

It only seems to happen at idle - either that, or I can't hear it when the car is actually moving. Happens occasionally while turning, but most often reproducible when at idle, or when starting to move from a stop (1st or reverse).

I will have to ask ISP racing to figure out what the problem is...
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is it coming from the engine?

might be the crank or your flywheel...
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

I can't hear it from outside the car. Even with the hood up, I don't hear it either.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
The only noises I ever hear from my ACT clutch is that the TOB is kinda loud when I depress the pedal sometimes.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder

Any ideas?
I have the exact same noise. However, it doesnt always do it. Usually cold starts it does it but only at idle and you cannot hear it outside the car. Its like a thud just like you said - Im pretty sure its just the downpipe - the sound has been around for over 10k miles and my car performs flawlessly so Im not worrying about it.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:19 AM

take it to the dealer?????
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thanasi
take it to the dealer?????
Never. I have yet to find a decent dealership in my area.

I will retorque the downpipe today and see if that solves the problem! Will report back later tonight..
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The only noises I ever hear from my ACT clutch is that the TOB is kinda loud when I depress the pedal sometimes.

same here. My stock TOB did that too, and even the new one.

Quick Reply: My car is making a *thud* *thud* *thud* sound... is it my ACT clutch?