Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DOG BOX vs STOCK TRANNY

Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DOG BOX vs STOCK TRANNY

I don`t understand why not to use DOG BOX in DRAG RACING and it`s a lot faster that with TRE or Shepher modded trannys???
If AMS makes 10.2 with TRE TRANNY,it means that with DOG BOX it would make 9sec absolutely EASY!!!!!AL - the same situation

Just imagine- Constant acceleration without releasing throttle all the time!
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Just imagine-rebuilds every 6k miles @ about 4500/ea.

I'd stick to TRE boxes.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

I think you're confusing a Dog Box with a Syquential Manual Gearbox. Not the same thing....

A "Dog Box" generally refers to a standard gearbox that has been upgraded to straight cut gears that have no syncros. The lack of syncros allows the gears to be wider (stronger) and the gears are usually straight cut as opposed to helical (also stronger but very noisy). The conbination makes a very strong gearbox that will required rev matched shifting in all situations.

A syquential manual gearbox is a transmission that can shift gears on the fly, usually with a ratchet type shifter. These trannies are not necessarily stronger than a standard gearbox, and I don't believe the stock tranny can be reworked into one without some serious modifications.

- Steve
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:30 AM
Account Disabled

ever drive a dogbox? That is reason alone to not get one if you dont need to. If a synchro box holds the power, it's the obvious choice..at least the car remains driveable!
Old Aug 19, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good thread about dogboxes from nasioc.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6#post10777496

Also look at the video posted in the thread.

Incidentally, current Group N Evos use dogboxes (5-speed).

I wouldn't want one though on anything but a dedicated motorsports car.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
I don`t understand why not to use DOG BOX in DRAG RACING and it`s a lot faster that with TRE or Shepher modded trannys???
If AMS makes 10.2 with TRE TRANNY,it means that with DOG BOX it would make 9sec absolutely EASY!!!!!AL - the same situation

Just imagine- Constant acceleration without releasing throttle all the time!
Why dont you buy the damn box and find it by yourself if you know it all??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????
Old Aug 19, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Both Al and AMS drive their cars on the street. A dog box would be a PITA for daily driving. Do some research.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

The guys from Magnus built a nice dogbox for the 1G and 2Gs and have been driving them on the street. A few guys on the dsmlink board are using them on their daily drivers without much complaint.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/transmission.htm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alleggerita
Good thread about dogboxes from nasioc.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6#post10777496

Also look at the video posted in the thread.

Incidentally, current Group N Evos use dogboxes (5-speed).

I wouldn't want one though on anything but a dedicated motorsports car.
Good find on info!!
Old Aug 21, 2005, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHatch
I think you're confusing a Dog Box with a Syquential Manual Gearbox. Not the same thing....

A "Dog Box" generally refers to a standard gearbox that has been upgraded to straight cut gears that have no syncros. The lack of syncros allows the gears to be wider (stronger) and the gears are usually straight cut as opposed to helical (also stronger but very noisy). The conbination makes a very strong gearbox that will required rev matched shifting in all situations.

A syquential manual gearbox is a transmission that can shift gears on the fly, usually with a ratchet type shifter. These trannies are not necessarily stronger than a standard gearbox, and I don't believe the stock tranny can be reworked into one without some serious modifications.

- Steve
you can use a sequential shifter with the stock tranny. rre had it in their blue car for a long time. now it's in sam's car.

also the dogbox usually uses straight cut gears not necessarily because the straight gears are stronger but because the straight gears won't cause deflection loads which is usually what hurts things like housings. or if you are not nice to it then it can twist and strip teeth. this isn't a problem with straight cut gears.

a dog sequential gearbox acutally doesn't need to be rev matched in all situations (ok i say this with tongue in cheek cuz if you don't you'll have a really really really bad time). you just need the engine to disconnect from the rest of the powertrain momentarily for it all to work. that's why in rally they get all that popping when they shift (well there's other reasons too) but every shift is a momentary engine turn off and that allows everything to work. of course the revmatching is desireable.

also with sequential shifting, if you have a hydraulic shifter you usually need to develope a special way of shifting, which i guess they're talkin' about in the nasioc thread. it requires a full commitment shift... no half assing, you gotta yank that sucker cuz otherwise it'll cruch a lotta stuff.

Last edited by trinydex; Aug 21, 2005 at 03:31 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Every time we have switched to a dogbox we have been able to knock .5 seconds off our quarter mile time from the shifting, they last longer before tear downs, and are eventually cheaper in the long run. Expand that over how many times you shift in a roadrace car or rally car and you can see why a dog box can be so beneficial to times.

0.5 sec!!!!!!
If AMS ran 10.02
with DOG BOX at least 9.6sec easy!
And it`s NO NOS!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex

a dog sequential gearbox acutally doesn't need to be rev matched in all situations (ok i say this with tongue in cheek cuz if you don't you'll have a really really really bad time). you just need the engine to disconnect from the rest of the powertrain momentarily for it all to work. that's why in rally they get all that popping when they shift (well there's other reasons too) but every shift is a momentary engine turn off and that allows everything to work. of course the revmatching is desireable.
The 'popping' from rally cars when they shift is due to anti-lag systems spraying extra fuel to keep the turbine spinning in-between shifts. It doesnt have anything to do with the gearbox or 'engine turn offs'.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
it pops when they let of the the throttle... and it pops when tehy upshift.... they don't let off for upshifts... so taht has nothing to do with antilag. and i'm not talking about the multiple poppopopop action.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the shift logic has a built in throttle interrupt for upshifts (no-lift-shift) that will briefly cut the ignition (in most cases), the popping is usually on downsifts when they're off the throttle, and that is a function of anti-lag.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

AFAIK, AMS already uses NLS, so I doubt a dog-box would net them .5 secs - maybe a tenth or two...

l8r)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DOG BOX vs STOCK TRANNY