Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drifting FWD US Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2002, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen USDM Integra Type R's drift quite nicely around slower corners in auto-x's, don't know about faster drifts though. Don't know if they use their e-brakes either.
Old Feb 4, 2002, 09:20 AM

Those aren't drifts those are power slides hehe FWD wish they could truly "drift"!!
j/k not hating here... here's a good site if you want to know about the characteristics of drifitng and all those cool techniques. Not sure about FWD cars though....www.driftclub.com

Jason
Old Feb 5, 2002, 10:36 AM

ive already tried driftin my lancer(o-z rally) and it kinda does turn out to be a powerslide. But ill tell u whut, i had my friend up in the car wit me and i got my car so sidewayz it felt like i almost did a donut. maybe it cuz he was fat and he put more weight in the backend, who knows....
Old Feb 5, 2002, 10:42 AM

Newbie question:

Whats the diff between drift and powerslide?
Old Feb 6, 2002, 11:41 PM

drifting a FWD car?? otherwise know as side technique i think...hand brake is what i have to say. I got a video somewhere, they show the guy using the hand brake to drift the FWD car. Also depends on if your car has 2 disc brakes or 4, cause then u could smash the brakes into the corner, lock up all four, give some gas and start spinning the tires. With 2 disc brakes u gotta use the hand brake to get the back around, by locking it up. It won't be too nice as RWD...but its close enough. I've never done it, just explaining from watching a bunch of videos. and ofc, there is more to it than what i just said, so please dont be flamming..
All i know is FWD drifting u need to use the hand brakes.

oh yeah people will say its not a true drift cause your not able to put power to the rear wheels and make em spin like RWD and AWD cars. With RWD cars when u enter the corner the momentum will keep the front tires spinning and u can apply more power to rear wheels too. But with FWD thats not the case.

http://www.driftsession.com/drift_te...feintdrift.htm
---After rebounding your vehicle back into its desired direction, get on the throttle. When combined with the rotational force of the rebound, the excessive throttle will send your vehicle into a drift. FWD vehicles can use the E-Brake instead of the throttle to induce oversteer.

Check that out
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:34 PM

just keep in mind if your putting to much effort into 'locking up the breaks ' or 'using the parking break' to get a FWD car to drift...chances are your not finding the fastest way around the turn. My 90 crx would start to drift very cleanly if the tire pressure was set right, but it woul crap out half way through and grab / jerk back to straight.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 03:41 AM

First thing, fwd "drifting" is not drifting. It's what we call *** dragging. A real drift must be continuously held with the throttle. Inducing oversteer is only the first half of drifting. I'm not trying to be an ***, but fwd cars should stick to what they do best: grip driving.

For beginners in drifting, start off in a big open area. I went to a dry lake bed and empty parking lots to learn. For rwd, you should be able to keep your rear end out continuously and on command. Start by driving the car in big circles in 2nd gear (3rd gear is pretty hard). There are two ways to start the drift: you can induce oversteer with lift throttle oversteer which is the preferred choice, initiate the drift with your hand brake with your clutch in, or pop the clutch to break traction to the rear. When you feel the car's tail losing grip, let it slide and let off the clutch and give gas. Do this quicky for this requires good intuition, feel for the car, and fast reflexes; the first few times you may spin out or you may not be able to keep your tail out. Then counter steer and gas it to keep your rear end out. Now the rest is up to you; you have to hold the drift with the gas. The more gas you push, the more the tail will push outwards. There are some common mistakes in drifting . Don't try to lose traction to the rear by just accelerating; you'll understeer instead. If you feel your car is not turning, back off the gas. DON'T forget to counter steer. And don't be afraid to give it gas once the tail starts sliding loose.Once you have these things down, try getting out of the drift with gradual and gentler countersteering for less jerk (when you first start off drifting, when you exit out of the drift people tend to let the car jerk back into a neutral position which by drifting standards is an ugly drift). Yeah, and stay safe. If you're going to drift throughout your life, you will get into an accident so keep some extra cash. And ****ty straight tread tires on the rear, viscous clutch type LSD, and stiff adjustable rear suspension help a lot (I use a KAAZ 2-way LSD and Tein HA coilovers and they help a lot).