Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?

Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?

This is for everyone who thinks the HKS cams are the sh|t.

Unhappy with the power of the HKS 272 cams I decided to swap to a set of Revolver's cams. Here is the comparison on paper

HKS 272
Intake Lift:10.8mm Duration: 272 advertised - 214@1mm
Exhaust Lift:10.2mm Duration 272 advertised - 214@1mm

Revolver Cams
Intake Lft:11.4mm Curation 262 advertised - 222@1mm
Exhaust Lift 11.5mm Duration 264 advertised - 223@1mm

We put the car on the Mustand dyno the way it I drove it in. Calibrated the dyno and performed a parasitic load test before doing the run to ensure the settings and calibration were proper. The dyno sheets are also SAE corrected numbers.

We rolled the car back onto the ramps of the dyno and I swapped the cams out right there. I had to check the clearances given my engine setup, all was good so we put it back up onto the rollers. With no adjustment or changes other then the cams themselves we performed an untuned pull to see what difference the cams made on the current tune. Here is the comparison

Then we proceded to start tuning from scratch given the difference between these cams and the HKS. We spent a lot of time on idle alone because due to my heavily ported cylinder head and oversize valves, not to mention the ported intake, larger TB and ported exhaust side the car has difficultly idling properly because the air likes to effectively stall in the MAF sensor. I also have a lack of idle vacuum for the same reasons.
Eventually we accepted the idle for what it was and moved on to reseting the AFR to where we wanted them. Very little time was spent on actual timing because it was about 1:00 AM and we were tired so we put a little timing in the car over the stock map and called it a night.
Before this little venture I already accepted the fact that even though I am currently running the stock turbo, with the mods done to my engine (primarily the cylinder head) that the stock ECU simply can not handle it. As soon as I have the money the AEM will be going into the car and these numbers will definitely improve alot.

Interesting note. Previously with my boost set to peak at 24, it would drop off to right around 20.1 or 20 at 7000 RPMs. With the Revolver cams and the same initial peak boost value the car consistently held 21.5 lbs. of boost at 7000 RPMs.

Here is the in the door to out the door dyno sheet.

I want to thank Beau from Revolver cams for all the information he provided to me while at SEMA. Once I had an opportunity to talk to him and some other people I knew that Revolver was the right choice and decided not to overpay for a set of Tomei cams which is where I was heading.
I also want to thank Precision Dyno Tuning for helping me with this cam test. I know Nick was impressed with the cams also and they will be selling them soon.
Attached Thumbnails Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?-untuned.jpg   Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?-tuned.jpg  

Last edited by timzcat; Nov 27, 2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a little hard to see the numbers on the graph. What are the peak numbers for each? Also, was this with pump gas and what octane?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how you compare 2 products. Good job timzcat
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

for us who are blind and cant(dont feel like) reading graphs...what are the different #'s???
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am assuming you mean the first graph but here are both sets.

First graph
HP 297 TQ 285 baseline
HP 311 TQ 308 untuned

Second graph
HP 297 TQ 285 baseline
HP 313 TQ 318 tuned

I just looked at that and realized that it is 33 ft. lbs. of torque difference and we spent very little time with timing.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

So the duration @1mm of the Revolver is classified information? Or are they just waiting to release it?

While these gains are nothing short of amazing, it should be noted that they would most likely be substantially reduced without the extensive headwork that timzcat has done.

Nevertheless, these look like a much better choice than the HKS, congrats on the awesome numbers.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to get an AEM in this thing and see what it can really do.

What is really interesting is, on the Knock Link I saw less activity with these cams then with the HKS cams and the AFR is no different.

btw this is all on 94 octane gas, I have no alcohol or anything.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by en1gma19
So the duration @1mm of the Revolver is classified information? Or are they just waiting to release it?

I think it is classified. I was hoping to get a degree wheel and dial indicator on then just so I could see what it was so I would know but didn't manage to get the degree wheel from my friend before putting them in.

While these gains are nothing short of amazing, it should be noted that they would most likely be substantially reduced without the extensive headwork that timzcat has done.

IMO there would still be substantial gains with these cams on a stock head. Maybe if we get another convert from HKS to Revolver we can show the difference on the stock head. I still think there will be a big torque gain.

Nevertheless, these look like a much better choice than the HKS, congrats on the awesome numbers.

Thanks, I am actually not impressed with the numbers and think the car has a bit more in it. At this point the stock ECU is an annoyance on my car and is limiting it's ability to make more power. In comparison to the previous tunes even Nick was shocked at how fast the engine will now rev out and how fast the boost comes on. If he sees this thread he can comment.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Fun stuff
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
how is the idle though?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
how is the idle though?
It is actually not that bad now, but my car is not a good example because it was very difficult to get it to idle properly with the HKS cams. I have seen HKS 280 cams idle good but 272 in my car did not idle as well.

To give you an idea why, my mods are as follows
Stock bore Wiseco Pistons, Eagle rods
Heavily ported cylinder head with 1mm oversized valves.
Revolver cams springs and retainers
680 PE injectors on a perrin rail with an aeromotive regulator.
Buschur ported intake manifold with 65mm (I think) throttle body
Buschur ported and coated exhuast manifold and O2 housing
Ported 9.8 hotside
Buschur LICP and UICP

IMO the idle trouble on my car is purely the cylinder head and the latency of the PE 680 injectors. The AEM will fix both of these issues.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

So how much are revolver cams? New valve-train needed for that lift?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

They sell them as a kit with the springs/retainers... pricing used to be pretty steep compared to HKS. However, they have revised their pricing structure, and they will be right there with current HKS cams pricing if including a spring/retainer set. I'm thinking of a group buy on these, but am awaiting until after the "holiday weekend" to talk with Revolver more about it.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

The low and midrange tq increase is sick on that graph, especially down low between 2500 and 4500rpm, there is like a 50-60ftlb increase.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:11 AM

I have been wanting to see a proper test of these cams...thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Revolver Cam Test! HKS who?