Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what is this noise at high speeds?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is this noise at high speeds?!?!?

So I was driving on the open freeway at night and decided to open up the throttle a little, lol. I start climbing in speed and when I get to about 110 mph, You can here a thud every three seconds and bump. This is when the gas pedal is all the way down. Now I tried it and looked at my boost gauge and it stays at 25 psi when it's up there! When I gradually press the gas, there is no thud or anything. I got the hallman manual pro boost controller with the cockpit cable. Is there a problem with this? I doubt it's a boost leak. I don't loose any power, but I do hear a high pitch noise which is the bleed off hole.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
what mods u got?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:28 PM

hallman mbc pro rx, hks ssqv bov, greddy turbo timer, autometer boost gauge.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
why on earth are you running 25psi with those mods? turn your boost down to 20psi and go get some more mods...

do you know why mitsu designed the US spec evo's so rich? ...cause anyone can get their hands on them and not know what psi is and think...oh more boost...more power...and run 25/26psi with no other mods and end up blowing their engine and blaming mitsu... jdm evo's run waay leaner than the us evo's....japs arent' stupid....for the most part they know what they are doing ...
...sorry for the rant...just had to vent a little
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, i would turn the boost down to 20 asap. I really hope for your sake, under the load of 5th gear and 25 psi you arent predetonating. I would be more careful
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dero
Yeah, i would turn the boost down to 20 asap. I really hope for your sake, under the load of 5th gear and 25 psi you arent predetonating. I would be more careful
wouldn't that be the "thud" sound he is hearing?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer 4 Me
wouldn't that be the "thud" sound he is hearing?
Thats what I'm saying, I really hope that's not the problem. If it is, the motor won't last long.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phatman2600
So I was driving on the open freeway at night and decided to open up the throttle a little, lol. I start climbing in speed and when I get to about 110 mph, You can here a thud every three seconds and bump. This is when the gas pedal is all the way down. Now I tried it and looked at my boost gauge and it stays at 25 psi when it's up there! When I gradually press the gas, there is no thud or anything. I got the hallman manual pro boost controller with the cockpit cable. Is there a problem with this? I doubt it's a boost leak. I don't loose any power, but I do hear a high pitch noise which is the bleed off hole.
your car is going to blow up, all i can say is what everyone else has allready told you. TURN DOWN YOUR BOOST, and hope you did'nt do any real damage but there is a good chance you have depending on how long you ran it like that. if you want to run 25psi you need head studs and 100+ octain fuel to do it safely.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

First keep those speeds at the track!

You had you mods installed at a shop. Take it to someone and have it checked out. Add the exhaust you were going to get and fix any thing you may have damaged.
Get the car tuned/flash and dt.
I think you had some prior stuff going on, like fluttering ect.This should have told you to have it looked at (unless you know what you are doing) by a shop that works on evos and has a good rep. My a shop on here is close to you.Have to towed via a flat bed.

Good luck!
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:50 AM

my boost was turned down all the way. It is was all the way counterclockwise.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:53 AM

It is the boost spike that reads 25 psi.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:59 AM

I have always kept the boost controller all the way counter clockwise and move it half a turn so the word boost is in the normal way it is turned. I have never turned it more than half a turn. The boost gauge reads 25 psi, but i am running close to stock boost. Why does my boost gauge say i am running at 25 psi?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know? I can tell you my 05' EVO is loud at 110mph! The tires aren't quiet and expansion joints are loud, but that's about it. My Dodge Caravan rides better at 100mph than my EVO.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I have always kept the boost controller all the way counter clockwise and move it half a turn so the word boost is in the normal way it is turned. I have never turned it more than half a turn. The boost gauge reads 25 psi, but i am running close to stock boost. Why does my boost gauge say i am running at 25 psi?
Well either your boost gauge is wrong or you're running higher boost than you think. Who installed the boost controller, and why do you think your gauge is wrong? It could be an install problem and you really are running 25 psi.

Does your boost gauge ever move? Will read vacuum at idle?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhm, if your boost gauge is reading 25psi, then you are running 25psi. If you have the MBC turned all the way out counterclockwise, then it must be installed backwards. Your boost gauge wouldn't just randomly show 25psi unless it's completely whacked out. The first time you saw it hit 25psi, you should have taken a look at the MBC to make sure it's installed properly, and if you don't know anything about how to check it, then you should have told someone (on here or in person, something). There's no way it should come close to 25psi if it's turned all the way out, because that would be minimum boost, which is 11psi. I think your input/output hoses are reversed.

Why did you say make the declarative statement that you are "running close to stock boost" when the gauge reads 25psi? What makes you think that?

Quick Reply: what is this noise at high speeds?!?!?