Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Article - Answers for everybody!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like it a lot. but i have one comment maybe someone can help.

on this secstion saying

D. ACD unit fault – 3 solid lights

When your ACD unit has all three lights on at the same time (other than at startup), this means your car is reporting back to Mitsubishi headquarters that your warranty should be voided… Just kidding. As stated in your owners manual, this denotes some kind of error in the unit and it needs to be serviced. To service the ACD you need a very special, and very expensive tool from Mitsubishi. This tool is used to engage the ACD pump to bleed the lines. You may run into this issue if you are changing out your transfercase. (6)

well yes i been geting that but i have a small batt. and wondering if it is becasue of that. well i turn on car some times all 3 come on and sometimes no. and then if they do come on after 3sec car on. i drive and i just kill car and turn on again and its fine. so i dont see what is up with it. lol . is it the ACD fauling. or is it just the small batt not getting enought power on start up and giving it a fauild code.
The following users liked this post:
flmjr (Apr 4, 2019)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This needs to be a sticky.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have to correct some of the things mentioned here I have a Ralliart ACD ECU in my EVO7 and it does not work together with the AYC. When SAYC was introduced on the EVO8 the control of the AYC and the ACD were indeed put together and controlled by the same ECU but the Ralliart ACD ECU’s only work with non AYC equipped cars i.e. RS versions.

I guess that either the ECU for the EVO7 or the ones for EVO8 RS might work with the USDM EVO8 and/or EVO9 since they don’t have AYC but I guess we won’t know for sure until somebody tries it
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Terry S
16) Why doesn’t my model come with the ACD?

- Because Mitsubishi didn’t want it to. Sucks for you. See Section II - A
Actually, I was told that the reason our Evos don't come with the full AYC/ACD is because the AYC equipment goes into the same place that the US emissions regulations equipment goes. That's why the US VIII and IX will not see the full AYC/ACD package.

Hopefully the Evo X will be redesigned to accomodate both.

Great info, Terry.

l8r)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice thread!!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Actually, I was told that the reason our Evos don't come with the full AYC/ACD is because the AYC equipment goes into the same place that the US emissions regulations equipment goes. That's why the US VIII and IX will not see the full AYC/ACD package.

Great info, Terry.

l8r)
Sooooo we don't get S-AYC because of a cat and O2 sensors?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

great find...definately going to read every word of this article. definately sticky this
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Sooooo we don't get S-AYC because of a cat and O2 sensors?
No, it's all the stuff hanging next to the fuel tank under the car (driver's side) ... I believe it's the "Evaporative emission canister and fuel tank pressure relief valve" as shown on page 17-21 in the service manual.

l8r)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

sticky please.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
Wow, killer info. Thanks!

*EDIT* In section IV (FAQs) point 8, shouldn't it include MR editions from previous years also?
If you notice, it mentions all 2005 Evo models and 2006 Evo models. The MR was only offered in these two model years so far.

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Mods, we should sticky this.... or incorporate it into the drivetrain for dummies thread if Terry desires.

- Steve
Either is fine by me. This is now the property of EvoM so the mods can do with it as they please

Originally Posted by mike1023
i like it a lot. but i have one comment maybe someone can help.

on this secstion saying

D. ACD unit fault – 3 solid lights

When your ACD unit has all three lights on at the same time (other than at startup), this means your car is reporting back to Mitsubishi headquarters that your warranty should be voided… Just kidding. As stated in your owners manual, this denotes some kind of error in the unit and it needs to be serviced. To service the ACD you need a very special, and very expensive tool from Mitsubishi. This tool is used to engage the ACD pump to bleed the lines. You may run into this issue if you are changing out your transfercase. (6)

well yes i been geting that but i have a small batt. and wondering if it is becasue of that. well i turn on car some times all 3 come on and sometimes no. and then if they do come on after 3sec car on. i drive and i just kill car and turn on again and its fine. so i dont see what is up with it. lol . is it the ACD fauling. or is it just the small batt not getting enought power on start up and giving it a fauild code.
Kinda tough to figure that out. It might be not enough juice, might be that your fluids are a bit off, or who knows. If you take it to the dealership anytime soon and get it looked at, let me know what was the problem.

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
I have to correct some of the things mentioned here I have a Ralliart ACD ECU in my EVO7 and it does not work together with the AYC. When SAYC was introduced on the EVO8 the control of the AYC and the ACD were indeed put together and controlled by the same ECU but the Ralliart ACD ECU’s only work with non AYC equipped cars i.e. RS versions.

I guess that either the ECU for the EVO7 or the ones for EVO8 RS might work with the USDM EVO8 and/or EVO9 since they don’t have AYC but I guess we won’t know for sure until somebody tries it
Interesting… Can any vendors in here who carry Ralliart parts give em a call and figure out if the Evo 7 ACD ECU might be compatable with the USDM ACD Evo’s? Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by Ludikraut

Great info, Terry.

l8r)
I was noticing that coming up as the excuse for us not getting the full ACD/AYC setup but if you notice, that question only focuses on the ACD. I will however put in a section mentioning the reason for no ACD/AYC combo in the guide.

Thanks for the kind words everyone By the way, my next one will be the Evo IX MIVEC system. Shorter and easier, but I'm still seeing people asking questions covered a dozen times over...

Terry S
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Sticky, info for everyone!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Terry S
I
Thanks for the kind words everyone By the way, my next one will be the Evo IX MIVEC system. Shorter and easier, but I'm still seeing people asking questions covered a dozen times over...

Terry S
Very informative thread, cant wait to see what you present us with for MIVEC. I would say dont worry about the length and the ease of the topic, Im sure im not the only one that enjoys reading a well written and thought out tech article. Bring on the knowledge
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this piece of research, I know it wasn't as simple as "cut & paste".
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

one word: wow

great info and should be stickied
Old Dec 21, 2005, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

+1 to his info.

Quick Reply: ACD Article - Answers for everybody!