Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lightened flywheel -- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightened flywheel -- Worth it?

I can't decide if I want to get a lightweight flywheel or not. I have looked and there isn't a whole lot of information pro/con about them. Everyone seems to comment on the clutch and not the flywheel.

If you have one, how are the upshifts? Do you have to double clutch on upshifts? I don't want the revs to fall down too much. Which one do you have, fidanza, prostreet, etc?

Please give your reviews of a new flywheel. Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 08:33 PM

flywheel

dont waste your time with fidanza do to the fact that surface disc worps and also come loose on the crank(higher horsepower applications),stock flywheel works great and holds better than act
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Any other opinions? More the merrier
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Not worth it IMHO.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

The engine dynamics and harmonics are done with the stock crank pulley and the stock flywheel. Sure people run the lighter flywheel and the underdrive pullys and have no obvious, immediate ill effects. I personally like the extra flywheel weight when launching an AWD car. I would use the stock one as long as it is not cracked.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:35 AM

well it depends on what ur doin, road racing or drag racing, if its road racing u should actually get a heavier flywheel or keep it stock so u'll always have boost as u down shift or upshift, but if its for drag racing then obviously go w/ a light flywheel for acceleration.

Last edited by jdmevo8313; Nov 7, 2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Monkey
I can't decide if I want to get a lightweight flywheel or not. I have looked and there isn't a whole lot of information pro/con about them. Everyone seems to comment on the clutch and not the flywheel.

If you have one, how are the upshifts? Do you have to double clutch on upshifts? I don't want the revs to fall down too much. Which one do you have, fidanza, prostreet, etc?

best mod I put on the car.

I went with the fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch. This combo has been through a full season of autocross (with a co-driver) and it works just as well as when it went in (but I don't have any power mods, only a full Turbo back exhaust)

The final result? the revs come on quicker, and drop faster, overall, the engine just revs that little bit quicker. With the lightened flywheel, the HP gains (less rotational mass) were instantly felt when the boost kicks in...

There are down sides to this. When driving normally around town, I have to rev match on upshifts and downshifts becuase the revs drop a lot, but you get used to it. when driving agressivly, the revs stay higher, reducing the need to rev match.

Very good mod to do if your power mods are not extreme. If your going for the big HP numbers, like others have already said, you might want to use another flywheel other than fidenza, but I am happy with it.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdmevo8313
well it depends on what ur doin, road racing or drag racing, if its road racing u should actually get a heavier flywheel or keep it stock so u'll always have boost as u down shift or upshift, but if its for drag racing then obviously go w/ a light flywheel for acceleration.
Mostly daily driving, but I goto the road track and autoX occasionally. Plus, I am putting down some decent numbers and that's why I need a new clutch.

I have 26,xxx mi on my stock one and it was holding 350ft/lbs but is just starting to go. I'm just gonna go with the stocker. I don't want to double clutch on upshifts at all. I already do it for downshifts though.

Thanks guys
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dubienczuk123
... stock flywheel works great and holds better than act
???? Interesting information considering we haven't released the flywheel for the EVO yet. Buy one and then you will be better equipped to comment on it. They should be available by the end of the month. I will give the details if asked but I don't want this to sound like an advertisement.

BTW: I like the stock flywheel too. It's not very heavy as flywheels go. I think it is a bit thin for abusive driving, but it's a good piece that is not prone to explosion because of the material they use.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

Please provide details on the ACT flywheel. "Knock on Wood" I don't need anything yet, but I have a secret PayPal fund for a new clutch and I plan to do a flywheel too. I'd prefer a chromoly flywheel and I had a great experience with an ACT street disk in my Integra (with Spoon flywheel). 45K on stock clutch here.

Thanks,

FB
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
best mod I put on the car.

I went with the fidanza flywheel and ACT clutch. This combo has been through a full season of autocross (with a co-driver) and it works just as well as when it went in (but I don't have any power mods, only a full Turbo back exhaust)

The final result? the revs come on quicker, and drop faster, overall, the engine just revs that little bit quicker. With the lightened flywheel, the HP gains (less rotational mass) were instantly felt when the boost kicks in...

There are down sides to this. When driving normally around town, I have to rev match on upshifts and downshifts becuase the revs drop a lot, but you get used to it. when driving agressivly, the revs stay higher, reducing the need to rev match.

Very good mod to do if your power mods are not extreme. If your going for the big HP numbers, like others have already said, you might want to use another flywheel other than fidenza, but I am happy with it.

+1 ,,,,I have the same set up also...... It took me a while to get use to driving it in the street , but it did made my revs faster...........
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lighter flywheel will help you boost up and rev faster. I would recommend on when you are replacing the clutch. We been having really good luck with the CCI 10.5 lbs Forged Steel flyhweel and Exedy combo. Hold great power and very little increase in pedal effort.

Tom

Last edited by Gruppe-S; Nov 7, 2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdmevo8313

ummm, you got that backwards. Where'd you get your information?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:21 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Hey buddy...you may want to ask Kelly. Just saw him at the Saturday club event. He has similar mods and runs a light flywheel/clutch setup. His car was quick...

Originally Posted by Monkey

Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This to me seems pretty simple. It is a lighter part of the drivetrain. Some (Many) car manufacturers raise the wieght to make the car more driveable (Starting out from 0, shifting smoothly, etc..). By making it lighter, you will gain HP. It will rev faster. It will make the car harder to start out from 0 and harder to shift smoothly. There is no need for a race car of anytype to want to run a heavier flywheel. It provides power, as long as you can drive the car with the new quick rev (And quick lost rev) it is a good mod. Technically, I think alot of people use the 2hp per lb of rotational mass or something close to that as far as the power gain is concerned. I have no idea on how accurate that measurement is though.

Quick Reply: Lightened flywheel -- Worth it?