Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO IX Dyno Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not exactly.

Dont assume the lighter wheel as you call it (impeller) is the sole reason turbo boost comes in sooner. Only after the ECUTEK tune did the boost arrive much sooner. Before the tune the turbo spool up was not a noticeable difference from the IX to VIII in side by side runs.

You cant do this with the VIII's as MIVEC plays an important role in the process. US models do NOT get the fancy alloy impeller the ROTW gets by the way.

Now if the quicker spool up times are retained thanks to the MIVEC system when an IX owner upgrades the turbo and you line up with an VIII with the same mods + cams + cam gears both the with same peak HP but the IX hits full boost sooner you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who will be a car length or two ahead.

The difference is 'silly' because I have lined up both cars...time and time again..with the same results after the tune. Your local, send me a PM is you want to see it in person to make you a believer if the dyno sheets are not enought.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by res04
Dont assume the lighter wheel as you call it (impeller) is the sole reason turbo boost comes in sooner. Only after the ECUTEK tune did the boost arrive much sooner. Before the tune the turbo spool up was not a noticeable difference from the IX to VIII in side by side runs.
You tune a car with a lighter wheel on an MIVEC. So, the MIVEC causes the boost to come in faster....ok.

Now if the quicker spool up times are retained thanks to the MIVEC system when an IX owner upgrades the turbo and you line up with an VIII with the same mods + cams + cam gears both the with same peak HP but the IX hits full boost sooner you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who will be a car length or two ahead.
This is flawed logic. You are assuming all things are equal and sadly, in a realworld scenerio, they are not. The MIVEC isn't superior to *all* cam/cam gear configurations out there on the market. This is just a "silly" accusation . Getting the same turbo will definitely equal the playing fields imo.

The difference is 'silly' because I have lined up both cars...time and time again..with the same results after the tune. Your local, send me a PM is you want to see it in person to make you a believer if the dyno sheets are not enought.
You are making it seem as if the MIVEC is what makes the IX superior to the VIII in *any* equal configuration. I'm stating that that is the case on stock cars or ones that are lightly modified - but that's all. Essentially, you mislead people by boasting that the IX can put down 360AWHP on just full exhaust and a reflash, however, that's not the whole story. The MIVEC is superior to the stock setup and only if an VIII owner gets aftermarket cams/cam gears will the level of performance be equal.

I believe your improved performance over an VIII with a similiar setup to your own, however to state that the MIVEC is superior to any aftermarket cam/cam gear configuration is a little too fanboyish and can't be proven.

-M
Old Jan 8, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

BOOSTEZ, he didn't boast that it had 360AWHP...
that's stupid to say that read his posts
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Boostez, My IX put down 295 AWHP on Vishnus dyno. This if FACT.

I have proven TIME AFTER TIME that my car is faster and comes into boost sooner than a relatives VIII that I cruise to work with 5 TIMES A WEEK w/ tune + cams + cam gears + tune that puts down SIMILAR HP. Im sure you can imagine what goes on on the way to work

Now you can internet debate all you want but real world results are what they are.

To clarify some of your 'points'
Im not stating that MIVEC is superior to any cam and cam gear setup.
Im not misleading anyone on that the IX can put down 360AWHP w/flash and TBE

You need to check your facts AND check the results of various IX tunes before going heads up with me or anyone else. Your posts are reading like an IX hater and thats not what this is all about.

Misc.

I have never weighed the 'wheels' of the VIII vs. IX turbos so I cant even comment on that.
I take the car to Vishnu, I get it back and boost is coming on MUCH sooner.
I line up both cars and I spank the VIII w/ similar peak HP figures
From a roll from a dead stop, from ANY speed, my car spools up faster and immediately gains a car length during 'run ins'.

Fanboy out.

Last edited by res04; Jan 8, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

The way I always looked at the IX, (and this only my opinion nothing else) that is awesome bang for the buck vehicle on the stock turbo. I mean I can think of very few cars that cost brand new $35,000 or less that have the potential to trap 112mph+ (pump gas) in the 1/4 mile for $1,500 or less. In fact the only other car I can think that has such potential is the 2003-2004 Cobra (when brand new was $35,000 or less). But when all is said and done, the greatest potential for power still belongs to the EVO VIII, not due to the fact that it is a better car, but there are still limited parts available for the IX and this is not the case with the VIII.

Will this change, eventually it will in my opinion, but that's only an opinion and not factual evidence. I believe one day that both intake and exhaust cams will be available for the IX, but I cannot say that with 100% certainty until it is actually done. I believe when more parts become available for the IX, that many stock turbo IXs will hit 400WHP+, and some models will even reach levels of 450WHP on the stock turbo. Again this is my opinion and I cannot guarrantee this, until it actually starts to become a reality.

There is still so much to learn about this IX, that it has absolutely dumb founded me, that more and more research has been put into developing more parts for this car. One tuner, only ONE tuner (Evasive Motorsports) I can think of right now has a serious project going on to see just how much potential the IX has, and seriously I just don't understand this. I find sad and hard to believe that quite possibly the most tunnable EVO EVER is being ignored by large portion of the EVO community. Why hasn't anyone tried an alky kit on this car yet? My gosh, why hasn't some one tried atleast one cam, and if it currently in development, why aren't we being updated daily on the process? Why hasn't a bigger turbo been slapped on the IX and tuned by more tuners, just so we can see what the IX can do? What the f*ck is going on, is the MIVEC that complicated to crack (if so let us know, keep us updated), Norris Design didn't seem to have a problem when they ran in the 9s with their IX, maybe more attention should be paid to what the outside world is doing, because the interest level in the good ole USA seems to be lacking. Why after months of being on sell, do we still have more questions about the IX than we have answers? I just don't get it?

Last edited by 3000ways; Jan 9, 2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

3000ways, I think a few are working behind the scenes on the IX. But I am anxious to see what larger turbos generate on them. You run into problems like customers not wanting their cars to be guinea pigs and also companies not being able to kick down 32k for a test vehicle...but that will all change over time.

Also there is more money in taking the time to provide the IX turbo for the VIII cars as there are much more of them on the road vs. spending the time to test and tune the IX w/ different setups. Buschur is already selling such a kit.

--

Back to MIVEC talk, its been mentioned that XEDE can control it so there would be no need for an ECU swap in the VIII cars if adding the parts.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I understand that, but being an outside observer, the lack of enthusiam for this car is just plain confusing. What is wrong with the Evolution community???? I mean res04 your car has similiar mods to Boostez and your car is making 50 more whp on the same damn dyno!!! Where is the mad rush to extract the potential of this car?

You know that if muthaf*cking 2006 Dodge Neon SRT-4s were making 300WHP with Mopar Stage One those muthaf*ckers would go buck wild crazy! There would be a line at Dodge Dealerships with all the pre-2006 SRT-4 owners trading their sh*t in for 2006 SRT-4s. They would have Mopar Stage Three on those cars before you could say Mopar Stage Three. The community would absolutely lose their minds. 2006 350Z owners making 300WHP with Catbacks, Headers, and Intakes would cause such a stir in the 350Z community it would absolutely be crazy! 300WHP Flash and Exhaust EVOs is a barely a blip on radar screen of the EVO community.

Last edited by 3000ways; Jan 9, 2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Tell me about it. I think there are tons of IX customers with money in hand just waiting for the aftermarket to catch up.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

MIVEC and the spooling sooner as told by a tuner

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...X+ecutek+spool
Old Jan 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just waiting for the spring
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by res04
Boostez, My IX put down 295 AWHP on Vishnus dyno. This if FACT.
I'm not doubting that. And there are VIIIs that probably put that down and more with stock turbo as well. And???

I have proven TIME AFTER TIME that my car is faster and comes into boost sooner than a relatives VIII that I cruise to work with 5 TIMES A WEEK w/ tune + cams + cam gears + tune that puts down SIMILAR HP. Im sure you can imagine what goes on on the way to work
You have proven that you can beat your friend with similiar mods and power. Ok, so what is your point?

Im not stating that MIVEC is superior to any cam and cam gear setup.
Im not misleading anyone on that the IX can put down 360AWHP w/flash and TBE
Do you know how much lower Shiv's DD dynodynamics dyno is over a dynojet? Ask him when you stop by there one day. 295 on DD is about 350-360 on a dynojet.

Your posts are reading like an IX hater and thats not what this is all about.
I have nothing to hate about the IX. I can make my car as fast or faster than the best of EVOs. All is required is money. I'm only trying to make your facts make sense. And they did a few threads ago. The IX is equivalent to an VIII with cams and cam gears and with a less rotational mass turbo and slightly bigger compressor wheel. That's nothing special to me. It may be special to you..but that's your opinion.

I have never weighed the 'wheels' of the VIII vs. IX turbos so I cant even comment on that.
Well, let me make a suggestion. A lighter wheel (and one that is slightly bigger) WILL make a difference in turbo spool up. I will trust that you can read up on the physics behind that and/or look at compressor maps to read when their maximum volume or air has been reached and at what rpms with what engine loads.

Btw, looking at your link you pointed out.. ask yourself this question. If you had the MIVEC on a stock VIII's turbo (w/9.8 hotside). Would you still out spool it given the same tune?

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Jan 9, 2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Can't we all just get along

shiv
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
I mean res04 your car has similiar mods to Boostez and your car is making 50 more whp on the same damn dyno!!!
I have stock cams and cam gears. Not a fair comparison actually.

-M
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I have stock cams and cam gears. Not a fair comparison actually.

-M
So doesn't he? He has MIVEC as well, but that is not "anything special".

Girlie
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

You came in to this thread guns blazing after post number 13 for some reason.

The cars WILL NOT become equal as you put it when the same larger turbos are installed on the IX and VIII. Why? MIVEC.

What does this mean? Well the tuners are getting boost to come in sooner which creates the potential for quicker spool up time on larger turbos when installed in the IX vs. the VIII w/o MIVEC.

Regarding your question, Im not about to hypothesize anything, leave that for the tuners.

Quick Reply: EVO IX Dyno Thread