Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Old May 9, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna clean this clip up latter tonight, but for now you can adjust the eq on winamp to get a clear listen. This is third and 4th gear windows up radio off. skip towards the middle and end.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bherrin2/REC0002.mp3

I just got word from Peachtree that they are going to replace my tranny. I'm dropping the car of tuesday AM

Last edited by Mad_SB; May 9, 2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:44 PM

Thats the EXACT same noise mine is making, exactly. Damnit .. im calling mitsubishi right now and calling my dealer.
Old May 9, 2003, 09:42 PM

Just in case you need an atteney. He got me all of my $$ back withoug have to worry about anything. One of the best lawyer in CA http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/faq1.htm

I hope that willl help you guys with the problems. Remember you must have taken the car in for three times or more. Keep all documents.

I am not working for this lawer and will not get anything out of it, but they helped me out before

Last edited by wrxrocks; May 9, 2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old May 10, 2003, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

yep, that's the same noise mine's giving me. Although your's seems to be more pronounced, but maybe that's the audio. Hmmmmm. Yeah, it'll go in this next week.
Old May 12, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Same here that is the sound my car makes.

JTurbo - When you called Mitsubishi, what exactly did you tell them that they got you in contact with a regional service manager? When I called they just said..."make an appointment at the dealership" and ...."we haven't recieved any calls about this particular problem...."
Old May 12, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thats how it should be........my first cog box was making a different noise than that...if your gearboxes sound like that sound clip...thats normal....don't sweat it I am the guy that started this thread......from that sound clip I would not panic because my second tranny sounds exactly the same...no worries!!

Last edited by limey; May 12, 2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old May 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

LOL.. all this time i've been sweating it!!!
Old May 13, 2003, 05:54 AM

So how many actual bad trannies have we seen vs. paranoid folks with normal (expected?) gear whine?

VV

P.S. I would have been right with the paranoid folk

Originally posted by limey
Thats how it should be........my first cog box was making a different noise than that...if your gearboxes sound like that sound clip...thats normal....don't sweat it I am the guy that started this thread......from that sound clip I would not panic because my second tranny sounds exactly the same...no worries!!
Old May 13, 2003, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

I think the count was approx 3...with actual problems
Old May 13, 2003, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

here's my only problem with this logic...my noise has been getting progressively louder, and now I'm hearing it on accel as well.
Old May 14, 2003, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Old May 14, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
I have to disagree, the recording is very bad and 95% of it is normal sound, but the grinding on throttle off ...I don't think so. I'm not talking about the gear whine, I love that, I'm talking about the heat sheld vibration sound that occurs only when lifting off the throttle.

I'll find out when I get the car back today. If the new tranny does this as well..... I'm leaving it at the dealer and calling a lawyer cause I cannot drive a car that sounds like this everytime I let off the gas. I may be new to the evo, but I'm not new to cars and the noise comming from mine cannot be "normal" if it were why would they be replacing my tranny and why would it get worse evertime I drive it.
Old May 14, 2003, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ricardon
here's my only problem with this logic...my noise has been getting progressively louder, and now I'm hearing it on accel as well.
Yup, same here.... I hear it during shifts now and though I don't hear it on accell, it is getting worse over time. I think I'm not at the point of failure yet but were I not having the tranny replaced It would be soon.

ANyway, I should get mine back today, I'll pm you with the results.
Old May 14, 2003, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, Just got my car yesterday, drove off the lot and I started to hear that sound. I was tired and ready to drive home from Baltimore to Virginia so I didn't think about it. However when I got back in my neighborhood I heard that’s sound.

BTW I only have 6 miles when I picked my car up so it is definitely a problem from the start.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

I called and, like others who have done the same, they said they were going to contact my dealership and have them call me to schedule an appointment. Like mad VIII, I love decel "whine", but this grinding noise is driving up the F$%&@NG wall. The sad part is that I don't care if something's wrong with the tranny, I just want it taken care of. I understand that the car may, and probably will, have some problems (especially early releases) that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I am in LOVE with my EVO and I wouldn't return it, but I sure as hell don't want to be fed bull$hit by a guy who had neither seen an EVO before I brought mine in, nor had any prior training in diagnosing problems. BTW...my noise happens obviously on decel, and the accel noise I was referring to happens only on LIGHT accel before boost around 3k, but it's identical to the decel noise (not a "bogging" noise).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failiure