Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission failiure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crankwalk is/was not isolated. The LOWEST estimates (by people on the web and my Mitsu dealer) put it at about 5%. It may well be higher, but even at 5% that is 1 out of 20 cars. That is far from isolated. If a major problem starts occurring over time, you can be assured that Mitsu will do nothing about it, as long as most cars make it past the warranty. That said, it is probably an isolated incident, I doubt many transmissions will self destruct after 1000 miles, but hey, what the heck do I know...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If 1st and 2nd gear are straight cut then they will whine. It also means that they are much stronger than a helical cut gear.

Whining is normal. Metal bits in the fluid is NOT!

This also is not normal:

That's my broken intermediate shaft. The gear in the foreground is 3rd gear. This is a DSM tranny. I don't think that Evos have an intermediate shaft.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the metal bits in the fluid are the reason mitsu is taking my transmission apart - the tech that test drove my evo said that the sound coming from my trans was not the same as the other three in the dealership -
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Funny, but the Supra may cost you more than an STi.
True, but at least I can justify spending that kind of money knowing I am not going to have to take it in for repairs on a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE! Why can't a company make a sports car last without these kinds of compromises?! C'mon its only 273 ft.lbs of torque. There are plenty of solutions to prevent a tranny from shredding itself.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I drive an eclipse, and first gear is always pretty whiny. I drove an evo the other day and first gear sounds a lot like my eclipse. Once you shift to second it goes away just like my car.

Good luck limey......maybe they'll throw in a prototype ralliart evo 8 ecu and send you on your way.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

hey....now ya talking......I would be on my way.....very rapidly
Old Mar 28, 2003, 03:43 PM

Take this for what it is worth, but for those of you hearing a "deceleration" noise (different that normal whinning you hear in trannys) when you are coasting in a low gear (2 or 3) consider this:

The WRX clutch and flywheel on at least the 2002 models often made a strange, cyclic, rattling-grinding sound on deceleration (coasting- foot off of the throttle at around 2500-3000 rpm). Basically, without any load on the system, the clutch assembly was making this noise.

To test to see if this may be your clutch (not your transmission per se) get the noise to manifest itself and then press the clutch in. If it goes away, it may be the clutch or flywheel. Subrau replaced a bunch of clutch and flywheel assemblies because of this noise. The tranny worked fine (if you don't abuse it--lets not get off topic here) except for the noise, which was annoying.

Enough people were hearing this noise that SOA eventually developed a diagnostic process for it and I had mine replaced at about 20K miles, under warranty.

So, some of you may be hearing a similar decel noise that is not your new tranny ready to self destruct.

It sounds like Limey had a different problem with all that metal in the tranny fluid! Was the drain plug totally caked so that there were actually pieces in the fluid?!?

TRS

Last edited by trs94; Mar 28, 2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, nice theory but if its in the EP80....it's trashed the cogs...has anybody else looked at thier trans oil yet? I did not see the dealer said there was plenty of the ferous stuff on the magnet he shoved in the drain hole....It was bad enough to warrant sending a sample to mits for analasys

Last edited by limey; Mar 28, 2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 09:51 PM

Anyone get their tranny pulled yet? Word from the dealer?
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

This is scaring me now!!!! I don't really hear anything trannywise, nothing i haven't heard in a normal 2 wheel drive car. three people now have heard this "noise"?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:58 AM

limey or number13,

any new info about your trannys?

Thanks,

Derek
Old Apr 2, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Not yet ....gearbox has been shipped will be here this Friday...I will let you know
Old Apr 3, 2003, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

My trans is in the dealer now I am dropping my baby off at daycare dealership this morning....it's gonna take 2 days to complete the work....and hopefully I will be rid of the problematic noisy trans I'll keep you posted....Number 13.....how did you fair?
Old Apr 3, 2003, 02:11 PM
KC
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
If 1st and 2nd gear are straight cut then they will whine. It also means that they are much stronger than a helical cut gear.

Whining is normal. Metal bits in the fluid is NOT!

This also is not normal:

That's my broken intermediate shaft. The gear in the foreground is 3rd gear. This is a DSM tranny. I don't think that Evos have an intermediate shaft.
Josh, when did you do that?

(Ready for Devens?)
Old Apr 3, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KC
Josh, when did you do that?

(Ready for Devens?)
Hey Keith!

I did that back in February. I just rolled into the throttle after a U-turn, and it started making a baseball card in bicycle spoke noise. I can't blame it for giving up the ghost after 90,000mi. That gear is the only gear that has to mesh with 2 other gears in the transmission. It does a lot more work than the rest.

I'm almost ready for Devens. I have some Powerslot front rotors coming for my car. I have some stainless steel brake lines to install. And I have some porterfield R4S rear pads to match the front pads I have been using for the past 2 years (and still look like they have 3/4 of their life left, amazingly).

Quick Reply: Transmission failiure