Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tips for QTP Electronic cut-out (Dump)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Tips for QTP Electronic cut-out (Dump)

I have the QTP (Quicktimeperformance) electric dump, with a side pipe. I didn't want the traditional exit at the down-pipe,as a undercarriage fire was a concern to me. Anyway, I am on my 3rd electric motor, and each one costs 30.00. Here is a tip:

1. Open the dump valve via the switch, and it is fully open to closed in 5 seconds. Don't hold it longer, it will burn out the motor! (my failure 1)

2. dont try to open or close it at 50 mph, the exhaust pressure will fight your opening and closing it, which will also burn out the motor! Better off to OPEN or CLOSE it at idle!(my failure #2)

This might help if you decide to get one. Remember, I will break the stuff, and report back on here, how I broke it!!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you have a 3" tbe before the cutout?
im just wondering if itsworth it powerwise.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I knew it had to be abuse from the people who reported breaking theirs all the time
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

they will last a long time if you dont abuse them. qtp really needs to find a way to prevent people from holding down the switch too long. either a single touch switch, or an autoshut off. that would prevent nearly 99% of the cutout failures
Old Jan 12, 2006, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

I love the product, and will get another motor if needed, this thread was started as an INFO thread a "dont do what I did thread", a headsup. my mechanic burned up my firts one, he held it open too long (the switch)

I thought there would be a HP gain, but there was ZERO! I had it on the dyno at Dyno4mance, and there was no gain. Maybe because I had the sidepipe comming out in front of the back wheel (hence a long exhaust #2). A dump at the downpipe would give you gains.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Jan 12, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but in all fairness, you already had a test-pipe to begin with, so no gains can really be expected. However, it does sound badass as hell.

l8r)
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Yeah, but in all fairness, you already had a test-pipe to begin with, so no gains can really be expected. However, it does sound badass as hell.

l8r)
Hey Ludi! I didn't do it for the HP, I did it for the sound! There was verifiable proof on the dyno, it NETTED ZERO hp! with a dump at the downpipe, it would have gained a few hp.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Nice post. My instructions said not to hold the switch down for long periods of time but didn't say anything about opening it while moving... I'll keep that in mind.

I have a badlandz cut-out, same as quicktime but I think a little less expensive. Anyway its installed after the downpipe on my car (not the EVO) and I'm running a full 3" exhaust. I'll be at the dyno tomorrow night so I'm curious to see if I gain anything with it open or closed.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
great post, its always good to hear what NOT to do with aftermarket parts.

Sometimes the most simple things arnt clear until they are brought up..

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I learned the hard way, about opening and shutting it while the exhaust pressure is trying to do the opposite to the "flap" of what you are trying to do. I burned out my 2nd motor this way. I gradiated from the skool of hard knocks, just letting you know what I find with the parts I mess up! Thanks for the kind words!
I am off to break something else now, Later!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Nice post. My instructions said not to hold the switch down for long periods of time but didn't say anything about opening it while moving... I'll keep that in mind.

I have a badlandz cut-out, same as quicktime but I think a little less expensive. Anyway its installed after the downpipe on my car (not the EVO) and I'm running a full 3" exhaust. I'll be at the dyno tomorrow night so I'm curious to see if I gain anything with it open or closed.
I bet if your cut-out is closer to the engine, and doesnt have a long pipe (like mine) you WILL gain HP. Let us know. My pipe comes out by the back wheel, and If I straightened out the bend in the pipe (the length from the 3"exhaust, to the tip of the side-pipe, it would probably be as long as the complete turbo back exhaust. Love the sound though!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have a well made free flowing 3" cat back system you will see minimum gains from a cutout. I love the QTP downpipe on my wifes WRX mated up to the restrictive stock cat back system. I have a dyno proven 20 wheel HP gain on the dyno between having the cutout open or closed. Car is almost as quiet as stock with the cutout closed, and louder than hell with it open. I only open or close it with the engine at idle or shut off, with 5 seconds max hold time on the switch, never at WOT and it has been on the car for months now with no problems.

Keith
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good news for quick time performace cutout users!

They have come up with a controler for the cutouts instead of having to use the toggle switch. Here is a video demonstrating it in use:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...Controller.wmv

• Controls up to 2 QTECs
• Calibrates each motor independently and synchronizes their position (open, closed, partial open)
• Automatic close at power up
• Digital status display shows door position
• Manual pushbutton operation for open, close, or partial open
• User configurable partial open position
• Automatically open or close by grounding or not grounding the trigger wire (for use with engine management system)
• Short circuit protection on motor drive electronics
• Fault detection and reporting

Later,

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Tips for QTP Electronic cut-out (Dump)-controllerdrawing.jpg  

Last edited by Fourdoor; Jan 19, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Buttah!

So now, I could hook one of these up and wire it in with my XEDE map switch, so that when I run a racegas map, it would also open the dump pipe. Very nice.

l8r)
Old Jan 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I like it, and Ludi, your car is loud enough!!!

Quick Reply: Tips for QTP Electronic cut-out (Dump)