Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10.5 HS, EBAY o2, Forge WGA, reviews inside

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10.5 HS, EBAY o2, Forge WGA, reviews inside

Today i finally got around to installing all of my parts that have been laying around. We put on a 10.5 hotside, Powerflex Front Engine Mount, EBAY o2 Housing, Forge WGA. Total install time was about 2-3 hours.

10.5 Turbine Housing: Install was really straight forward and easy due to all of the information on this forum. I didnt notice a decrease in spool up at all and the car is definitely making more power up top than it was with the smaller housing. I took the car past 7k and it felt like it was still making some power (keep in mind that I also have HKS 272s)

Powerflex Motor Mount: Install was the easiest of the bunch. Had the mount off the car in about 15 minutes and I took it to my buddys shop and had it pressed out. People say you can do it witout a press but I didnt even attempt this. At idle the steering wheel has a little bit of vibration but its barely noticeable at all. When I take off I get this vibration up there in the mount area but its not to bad, once again something I will have to get use to. I use to have this little sqeak somewhere in my bumper (I cant find it though,sounds like a cricket....lol). With the mount in there I get this noise almost all the time im idling so Im gonna have to figure out what it is. Other than that shifting does feel more firm and direct. Overall I like it!!

EBAY o2 Housing: Since I had the hotside I figure I might as well do the o2 housing with it. Fitment was great no issues at all, I belive the brand is EDGE Racing or something like that. I got it from EBAY for 80 shipped. All the welds are great inside and outside, they actually took a grinder and cleaned all the welds inside to make them smooth. Combined with the turbine housing the car is screaming up top now. One thing I noticed is that my AFRs have gone a little on the rich side. Yesterday I was averaging about 11.2-11.5 at WOT and today after the mods it dipped down in the high 10s in part of my power band. No biggie though id rather be running richer than leaner for now.

Forge WGA: Mine has the red spring installed and im very happy with it. Im running the old Buschur Deluxe front mount and I had to put washers on the WGA for it to clear my lower IC pipe. Other than that fitment was perfect and the quality on this piece is top knotch!! With my boost controller all the way backed out it is averaging about 20-21 psi, which is good for me. The car comes on up to about 20 psi and then it holds 20 then goes to 21 and just past redline its starts to fall to 20.5. I havent ran it past 7300 to see what it will do. My alky kit goes in Friday so we will see how it holds with the higher bost .

I know there have been many many reviews on all of these products but I just wanted to throw my .2 cents out there and hopefully this post will help someone out in the future. For what its worth my car is a 03 and is equipped with Buschur Racing Stages 1-3 plus the above mentioned parts. If anyone has any questions ill be more than happy to help out.

-Leonard

Last edited by use2vtec; Jan 25, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

i have the cricket sound too, but no motor mounts on mine, and its in the front bumper i think.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
i have the cricket sound too, but no motor mounts on mine, and its in the front bumper i think.
Well i use to get it from time to time in the past and I even pulled the bumber off and I cant figure it out. I think something in the bumper is rubbing on something on the car. I know I dont have to pull the bumper for the alky kit but im going to anyways just so I can figure this out. Its so damn annoying!!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:40 PM
Account Disabled

Nice mod selection

Makes me miss driving my evo about
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 - 3 hours for the whole process? That is quite impressive.

Took me 2 hours to just get the two bolts of the top of the HS.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
2 - 3 hours for the whole process? That is quite impressive.

Took me 2 hours to just get the two bolts of the top of the HS.
Yeah that was just actual work time. Removing the radiator really made things way easier.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

I also had the annoying "cricket" sound after installing the Powerflex mount. After removing the front bumper cover and looking around I noticed two 1" metal tabs attached to both sides of the inner cover that were rubbing on top of the crash beam. Strangely, these two metal tabs rest on top of the crash beam with no rubber isolators. I put some Dynamat between the tabs and crash beam. No more crickets!

Originally Posted by use2vtec
Well i use to get it from time to time in the past and I even pulled the bumber off and I cant figure it out. I think something in the bumper is rubbing on something on the car. I know I dont have to pull the bumper for the alky kit but im going to anyways just so I can figure this out. Its so damn annoying!!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by use2vtec
Today i finally got around to installing all of my parts that have been laying around. We put on a 10.5 hotside, Powerflex Front Engine Mount, EBAY o2 Housing, Forge WGA. Total install time was about 2-3 hours.

10.5 Turbine Housing: Install was really straight forward and easy due to all of the information on this forum. I didnt notice a decrease in spool up at all and the car is definitely making more power up top than it was with the smaller housing. I took the car past 7k and it felt like it was still making some power (keep in mind that I also have HKS 272s)

Powerflex Motor Mount: Install was the easiest of the bunch. Had the mount off the car in about 15 minutes and I took it to my buddys shop and had it pressed out. People say you can do it witout a press but I didnt even attempt this. At idle the steering wheel has a little bit of vibration but its barely noticeable at all. When I take off I get this vibration up there in the mount area but its not to bad, once again something I will have to get use to. I use to have this little sqeak somewhere in my bumper (I cant find it though,sounds like a cricket....lol). With the mount in there I get this noise almost all the time im idling so Im gonna have to figure out what it is. Other than that shifting does feel more firm and direct. Overall I like it!!

EBAY o2 Housing: Since I had the hotside I figure I might as well do the o2 housing with it. Fitment was great no issues at all, I belive the brand is EDGE Racing or something like that. I got it from EBAY for 80 shipped. All the welds are great inside and outside, they actually took a grinder and cleaned all the welds inside to make them smooth. Combined with the turbine housing the car is screaming up top now. One thing I noticed is that my AFRs have gone a little on the rich side. Yesterday I was averaging about 11.2-11.5 at WOT and today after the mods it dipped down in the high 10s in part of my power band. No biggie though id rather be running richer than leaner for now.

Forge WGA: Mine has the red spring installed and im very happy with it. Im running the old Buschur Deluxe front mount and I had to put washers on the WGA for it to clear my lower IC pipe. Other than that fitment was perfect and the quality on this piece is top knotch!! With my boost controller all the way backed out it is averaging about 20-21 psi, which is good for me. The car comes on up to about 20 psi and then it holds 20 then goes to 21 and just past redline its starts to fall to 20.5. I havent ran it past 7300 to see what it will do. My alky kit goes in Friday so we will see how it holds with the higher bost .

I know there have been many many reviews on all of these products but I just wanted to throw my .2 cents out there and hopefully this post will help someone out in the future. For what its worth my car is a 03 and is equipped with Buschur Racing Stages 1-3 plus the above mentioned parts. If anyone has any questions ill be more than happy to help out.

-Leonard
tisk tisk tisk...no props to da man that saved you countless head aches by telling you NOT to remove the Turbo and exh mani. WHere is the love ? bwhahahahha

I am gald your stuff went in smooth man, hopefully we can get you a TDY to Charleston now. he he he he
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
tisk tisk tisk...no props to da man that saved you countless head aches by telling you NOT to remove the Turbo and exh mani. WHere is the love ? bwhahahahha

I am gald your stuff went in smooth man, hopefully we can get you a TDY to Charleston now. he he he he
HAHAHA I do appreciate all of the pointers that you gave me. We ended up pulling the exhaust mani as well but we left the compressor in the car.

Evotech8 thanks for the pointers, sounds like I have the same issue. When I pull the bumper off ill look in that area u described.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

glad the installs went smoothly, I am on the edge about doing an 02 housing, I may just have to pick one up