Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cam install finished, lifter tap question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cam install finished, lifter tap question

just finished putting in my hks 272's. followed the bleeding the lifters post. I bled each one and once I put it back into the head, I pushed on the top and made sure that it would compress. started the motor this morning and I have lifter tap. let it run for around 5 minutes and revved it up to 3.5k a few times. still there. am I doomed to rnr the cams again to bleed or will a little driving take care of it?
I am installing my xede this saturday, so the car is not going to see any road until then.

am I stuck or will they eventually stop?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem for a few. Go drive it, it will go away eventually. Or if you want to waste some time and gas, search for the "italian tune-up" I think is what they call it.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went without bleeding them, no "tapping noise" here.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

well your very lucky you didnt have the probs tha become associated with not bleeding them... like the lifters being out of adj. and the valves smashing the cylinders..

put a couple miles on them.. you my have a stuck lifter, if it doesnt go away you might have a bad lifter that wont pump, or my have something blocking the hole..
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
go for a drive-around, dont be scared to rev it up to 4-5k. everyhting should pump up.

If there is a horrible sounding tap, dont drive it around & pull the valve cover off & give it an inspection.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sandm
just finished putting in my hks 272's. followed the bleeding the lifters post. I bled each one and once I put it back into the head, I pushed on the top and made sure that it would compress. started the motor this morning and I have lifter tap. let it run for around 5 minutes and revved it up to 3.5k a few times. still there. am I doomed to rnr the cams again to bleed or will a little driving take care of it?
I am installing my xede this saturday, so the car is not going to see any road until then.

am I stuck or will they eventually stop?
so you bleed the lifters, but did you clean and refill them with diesel fuel?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

do a search that a LONG write up on that subject is on here.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WOT
go for a drive-around, dont be scared to rev it up to 4-5k. everyhting should pump up.

If there is a horrible sounding tap, dont drive it around & pull the valve cover off & give it an inspection.
sounds like a lifter tick. it's pretty loud, but not much worse than my old eclipse gst. will try to drive it around this saturday once I have my xede installed and hope it goes away....

thanks
Old Feb 9, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drive it around, see if its worse if it is ^^^ lift the cover and inspect.

If you are not touching the lifters / taking them out or changing them - you dont have to bleed them.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

try driving it for a day. See if it goes away. Your choices are, pull the lifters and bleed them again, or try and drive it for a bit and see if it helps. Just bleeding the lifters won't make the problem go away, but if they are dirty/restricted, one would think they were that way prior to bleeding and you would have been experiencing "tick" prior to the cams. If it was a bad lifter, you probably would have been experiencing "tick" before the cam install.

I'm sure it can happen, but the chances of a lifter getting dirty or failing due to a cam install are slim, especially if you did the cam install correctly, in a clean manner. They most likely just haven't filled with oil yet, and it might take some higher rpm's to get this to happen. On a side note, how many miles? This could be an early indication to a oil pump problem. Probably as likely as plugging or damaging a lifter during the install, but a possibility.

And what is this about filling them with diesel? That's the first I've heard of that. Seems like you wouldn't want that diesel in the oil, since it will act as a solvent to the oil that's supposed to be lubing your engine when it's running. Or do you mean "clean" with diesel, and then remove ALL the diesel prior to re-installation?

Good luck!
Old Feb 9, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

didn't have any lifter tick prior to install. I had noise on my 98 gst, but the evo was dead quiet. will try to drive around for a while. car has a touch over 10k on the clock. don't drive much. wouldn't think that the oil pump is bad, but you never know.

if you read the factory service manual, it states to set up 3 pans with diesel and work your way from one to the other. once you hit the 3rd pan, leave the injector full and put back in the car. I didn't do this as I couldn't find where ANYONE has...

turned the engine over 3 times prior to reassembly and everything seemed to be rotating fine, so I know that it wasn't a rocker falling off or other issues like that. cannot wait to finish wiring the xede to start driving it. just started in the garage and ran for around 3-4 minutes and shut it off. almost out of gas
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sandm
if you read the factory service manual, it states to set up 3 pans with diesel and work your way from one to the other. once you hit the 3rd pan, leave the injector full and put back in the car. I didn't do this as I couldn't find where ANYONE has...
i did , as well as another friend of mine, and his evo does not tick. i am still waiting on a couple parts before i fire mine up. bottom line is to have the retainers full. i think the loose ones tick until they fill up.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
Drive it around, see if its worse if it is ^^^ lift the cover and inspect.

If you are not touching the lifters / taking them out or changing them - you dont have to bleed them.
wrong...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I let my car idle for about 15-20 mins after putting everything back together and it was still ticking.

I went for a drive 4-5 miles long after idling and the noise went away.

You only use diesel to clean the lifters, you DON'T fill the lifters with diesel fuel...they're filled with motor oil.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Started my car after cam inst and was very noisy for 3-5 min, then suddenly it goes away.

Quick Reply: cam install finished, lifter tap question