Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

$500 for mods..what to get?

Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$500 for mods..what to get?

Alright i got about 500 or more to spend on mods. One of my friends wants to buy my 3rd Gen AEM cold air intake and Thermal Catback Exhaust. Im thinking to sell it both to him for bout 500. If he buys it then ill have 1 G to spend. First off...with 500 only what should i buy??? 2nd if i have 1 G to spend what should i buy?

Im thinking bout Thermal's exhaust, bushur downpipe, S-AFC, some type of boost controller (average one)....

Some advice guys....
thanx
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

for 500bucks, u should get a good intake and exhaust.
i believe these are the 2 first given parts.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

in a es/ls/oz i would agree with intake and exhaust but in an evo i think 2Evo4U was on the right track with S-AFC and boost controller.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 07:57 AM

i say get a blow off valve to save the turbo on the car. then go for exhaust over intake. but once you save up get intake third.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

A blow off valve will do nothing to "save the turbo" on a stock car.

Get a S-afc and boost controller if you know how to tune.

If you don't know how to tune with those tools, get an exhaust.

then wait till you can afford to get some dyno tuning time to go along with the S-afc and BC.

SC~
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Diito on Boost controller and safc
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, manual boost controller, boost guage, and S-AFC.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by defeated26
in a es/ls/oz i would agree with intake and exhaust but in an evo i think 2Evo4U was on the right track with S-AFC and boost controller.
Guys, on EVERY SINGLE turbo car I can think of, the EXHAUST is the VERY 1st mod... if you have the money, I would buy the TURBO back exhaust (down pipe/test pipe/cat back).

The current intake "cone filter" everyone is selling on these cars have been shown to give little to no improvement (dyno proven), so aside from a drop in panel K&N filter, until some other intake setups come out for sale, intake is fine as it sits.

SAFC is a dangerous mod if you have little to no experience tuning... unless you plan on buying a datalogger/getting your car dyno tuned, the SAFC is worthless and you can blow up your motor if you make mistakes.

Boost controller, you can buy one for between $30-$50 for a MBC (manual) from www.joepmbc.com so I'm sure you'll have enough money left over for one, however you can blow up your motor with it, so I would be extremely careful with turning it up AT ALL without taking it to the dyno/datalogging.

According to Alfriedsq, the BOV is dyno proven for about 4hp, however, it will cost you roughly $200 bucks for those 4hp so, I would buy other stuff first.

HTH
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Yep,boost guage,
I assumed that everyone knows that a boost gauge is actually mandatory, but in case it is not clear, that is the pre-first mod mod
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

personally I would wait until there are a number of ecu replacements/add-ons. SAFCs are good units, but I think for the money a whole ecu is a better deal... if you are wanting to do something before this I would do cat-back/turbo-back exhaust & boost gauge and then throw the rest in a seperate bank account that is only for car stuff.

my 2 cents
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Boost gauge and EGT gauge should be your first mods (just ordered mine). If you plan on modding the car you need to know what is going on with the motor. IMHO to put a MBC or any boost control for that matter, on a car before either of these items is playing with fire. Think about it....do you really want your next modd to be a new motor?

Mike
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Turboniam

SAFC is a dangerous mod if you have little to no experience tuning... unless you plan on buying a datalogger/getting your car dyno tuned, the SAFC is worthless and you can blow up your motor if you make mistakes.

HTH
I would have to say that all though it can be dangourous you have to remember that there are dozens of people on the internet and especially round here to help you with your mods. Also Buschurracing sends it with the Evo specific instructions that are dyno proven. Considering that 100% of your power comes from the air fuel combustion process I would put this mod 2nd only to a downpipe/catback system. With the new exhaust,SAFC,and 50 bucks for a joep MBC Im sure that a safe 40-50AWHP is obtainable. Check out Buschurracing.com They've got alot of good advice products already done and have a very helpful website.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WRX1832
Boost gauge and EGT gauge should be your first mods (just ordered mine). If you plan on modding the car you need to know what is going on with the motor. IMHO to put a MBC or any boost control for that matter, on a car before either of these items is playing with fire. Think about it....do you really want your next modd to be a new motor?

Mike
You are right as a boost gauge should be first on the mod list... I keep assuming that everyone knows what order things should be done in and that there are "pre-mod" mods.

First mod should be a boost gauge, and then after that a Datalogger which is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than an EGT gauge.

Then start modding from there... I would recomend a WB02, but because of costs and that fact that the datalogger should give you very close info to the WB02, I would say hold off until you are past BPU to buy a WB02
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Good question 2Evo. I'll have about the same scratch when I get back in July. Guys, keep the suggestions coming. I'm new to turbo cars as well. This website rocks!
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Guack007
I would have to say that all though it can be dangourous you have to remember that there are dozens of people on the internet .
If your motor blows do you think anyone from "the internet" is going to help you pay for it?

Also Buschurracing sends it with the Evo specific instructions that are dyno proven.
They may be "EVO" specific, but they are NOT your car specific.

The problem is that every single car is different and it is playing with fire by changing fuel settings/boost settings without having the specific car dyno tuned/datalog tuned/WB02 tuned.

Considering that 100% of your power comes from the air fuel combustion process I would put this mod 2nd only to a downpipe/catback system. With the new exhaust,SAFC,and 50 bucks for a joep MBC Im sure that a safe 40-50AWHP is obtainable. Check out Buschurracing.com They've got alot of good advice products already done and have a very helpful website.
I agree that the SAFC should be higher on the mod list, but "most" people don't know how to use them and I would worry about needles motors being blown... thats why a full "turbo" back exhaust system is a "safe" mod for everyone to buy.

If every person who bought a SAFC got it tuned before messing with the settings, then it might be the 1st mod you get after a boost gauge and a datalogger considering the SAFC costs only $300 and Bushur claims 30whp with a TUNED EVO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $500 for mods..what to get?