Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Sputtering misfire problem? plugs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sputtering misfire problem? plugs?

Ok, I have had to change my plugs out every 300 to 700 miles depending on whether I run any race gas in the car or not.

BR7ES, and yes I tried the BR8ES but they just foul out quicker.

I have been gapping the plugs down to .024 and I am still using the HKS DLI 2. For some reason it gets worse when I run a little leaded race gas(110 or C16) through the car and the misfires start happening a little sooner than if I run just 93 pump and meth.

I have checked the plug gap when I pull out the plugs and two or three are still .024 while one sometimes two open up to .025. Not that big of a change from .024 to .025 so I can't figure out what the heck is causing this.

Should I gap them smaller than .024 even if I using the HKS DLI 2? I thought you didn't need to gap them that small using an upgraded ignition?

The plug looks pretty good, no lean or rich conditions. I actually redynoed the car a couple days ago and installed new plugs 4 days before the dyno session. After the session and doing a race gas tune, the very next day it started sputtering again.

So I changed the plugs right when I got to the track last night while waiting for them to open the gate.

The car runs like a champ with a set of new plugs, but should they be fouling out that quick? Changing them out every other week is getting a little annoying.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If the gap hasn't opened up and the plugs look good how are they fouled? That seems ridiculously short for plugs.

I'm thinking your problem is somewhere else. Smokedmustang had a problem with the bolts for the coil packs being stripped and not maintaining enough pressure on the plugs for the #2 and #4 cylinders to keep a good contact between the coil and plug.

Are you using the factory plug wires?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOONYOASS
Ok, I have had to change my plugs out every 300 to 700 miles depending on whether I run any race gas in the car or not.

BR7ES, and yes I tried the BR8ES but they just foul out quicker.

I have been gapping the plugs down to .024 and I am still using the HKS DLI 2. For some reason it gets worse when I run a little leaded race gas(110 or C16) through the car and the misfires start happening a little sooner than if I run just 93 pump and meth.

I have checked the plug gap when I pull out the plugs and two or three are still .024 while one sometimes two open up to .025. Not that big of a change from .024 to .025 so I can't figure out what the heck is causing this.

Should I gap them smaller than .024 even if I using the HKS DLI 2? I thought you didn't need to gap them that small using an upgraded ignition?

The plug looks pretty good, no lean or rich conditions. I actually redynoed the car a couple days ago and installed new plugs 4 days before the dyno session. After the session and doing a race gas tune, the very next day it started sputtering again.

So I changed the plugs right when I got to the track last night while waiting for them to open the gate.

The car runs like a champ with a set of new plugs, but should they be fouling out that quick? Changing them out every other week is getting a little annoying.
You didn't do what I did, and get the HKS DLI II and the magnacor wires did you??
Just saw your video run, sweet!!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Hotrod!!! Long time no see! we think alike!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Hey smokedmustang, how's it going?

I read this and immediately thought of your situation.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Hey smokedmustang, how's it going?

I read this and immediately thought of your situation.
I read this and thought: "I wonder what the hell hotrod is up to"
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

If it sounds like this, it is your wires. (if you have the magnacor) swap out with known good wires, and make sure you didn't strip the threads that hold the coil packs down. I had that problem also. I also ran 30K miles with 110 leaded gas, so I know what that does to the plugs. I think we can solve your problem quickly, been there, done that.

Guages1
Guages2
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I am running the Magnacor 8.5 wires. What is wrong with these again?

What wires would you suggest and for what reasons are they better than the Magnacore?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

I just listened to your putfile video's and it sounds similar to that, but yours also sounds strange maybe due to the exhaust.

...but yeah, mine is breaking up just like that. It only happens after a few hundred miles on new plugs though.

If it was the wires wouldn't it break up/misfire all the time?
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I am running the Magnacor 8.5 wires. What is wrong with these again?

What wires would you suggest and for what reasons are they better than the Magnacore?
Trust me on this one!! Put the stock wires BACK on, and the PROBLEM is OVER!!!
I think it is how it "contacts" the something. anyhow, swap them out. did it sound like the video?

Trust me, I have searched more on this then most. REPORT back. and good luck! Dont use any but the STOCK ones. We both fell for the "hype" of needing better wires!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

I just listened to your putfile video's and it sounds similar to that, but yours also sounds strange maybe due to the exhaust.

...but yeah, mine is breaking up just like that. It only happens after a few hundred miles on new plugs though.

If it was the wires wouldn't it break up/misfire all the time?
I would just change to the stock wires, then step away from the engine-bay, slowly get into the car, and drive it-Problem GONE!! I dont know how and why, etc.. WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!! at least I got rid of mine........your turn
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

And yes, my video would sound differently, I am "Exhausting" out the side pipe, sound bouncing off the retaining wall, so all could hear it better. If you dont have the stock wires still, have a friend come over who has an evo, and swap the wires right there!! The problem will "magically" disappear. I used to buy 16 plugs at a time!!! The stock wires are like 20 bucks or something cheap. DONT do what I did- run around like a dog chasing its tail, it will be futile in the end. It is the Magnacors!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Take off the DL-II and you will no longer have problems!

Even modifying the Magnacrap wires I still had minor ignition issues. I removed my DL-II and put new stock wires on and it ran like a camp til the turbo blew up

BTW what I did to the wires that helped.. I pushed them on the coil as hard as I could then put a zip tie on and pulled it super tight with a pair of plyers. I took the end that connects to the spark plug and crushed it a lil bit so it would be snug on the plug.

Last edited by justchil; Apr 16, 2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Take off the DL-II and you will no longer have problems!

Even modifying the Magnacrap wires I still had minor ignition issues. I removed my DL-II and put new stock wires on and it ran like a camp til the turbo blew up
I have the DL-II also, and it wasn't that IT IS THE PLUG WIRES!! Your problem was solved when you put the stock wires back on!!! You didn't have to remove the DL-II also!! Trust me, I spent SO MUCH time under my hood on this one, I can't stand up strait anymore!!

Justchil, if you still have the DLI-II, go put it back on! 8+ torque increase. Your problem went away with the stock wires back on. sorry to hear about the turbo taking a dump!!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I would trust smokedmustang on this. If you search for threads he's started you'll see how long and how much he went through to find this problem.

The reason the problem could go away for a while after you change plugs is that when you remove and reinstall the plug wires to change the plugs they probably make a good contact from being pushed back on. Then after a while of vibrating and heatcycling the wires loose that contact.

Quick Reply: Sputtering misfire problem? plugs?