Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broken balance shaft belt or spun bearing.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken balance shaft belt or spun bearing.

Here is the 1st post on another thread I started. I just thought I would add, I had the balance shaft 180 out of phase for 4K miles (another story, another thread) When it was out of phase, after a cam change, I would feel the vibrations thru my seat bolts, and when it was corrected and put in phase, the vibrations went away. I started to feel the vibrations again about a month ago. (thru the seat). The first noise I heard was the sound of a radiator fan hitting something.

I just drained the oil, NO GRIT, NO PIECES visable. I drained the oil in a white plastic "pan" and saned the oil thru a pillow case. NOTHING. the plugs look fine. Here is my original post. any guesses would be fine.

1. Could I still have spun a bearing, and have the noise at 2K rpm, (steady) and at idle every so often.

2. are the bearing pieces too small to see or feel?

3. what should I do about the balance shaft belt? Or do I replace it with the balance shaft elimination kit?

Yes, it is me again, and YES I discovered another problem!! I had my oil changed and ALL the fluids 2 weeks ago, getting ready for the Winged Warrior show, and all the local promotions which go with it. And of course a Dyno with Shiv!

2 neighbors stopped by, and I offered them a ride. we drove for 5 miles, and we started to hear some "knocking" under the hood. all gears, but intermittently. (every 5 seconds, or when I pushed on the gas.

Once we heard this noise, we pulled over, popped the hood looked normal/smelled normal, but on occasion, we could hear THUD THUD, like a rod knock. We limped the car home, another 3 miles. The noise didn't get worse, but it didn't go away!

I popped the hood in the driveway, and there was 1/8" of oil on the dipstick. WTF??!! How can I go thur 5 guarts of oil in 2 weeks, and 300 miles?? I have NO leaks, no burning oil smell etc...

I then went to get oil, and put 3 quarts in it 45 minutes later, and it appears on the stick, like I am 1 QUART OVER!!! I Started the car, and gently revved the engine, and the KNOCK IS STILL THERE!! is it ROD KNOCK?? Is my motor shot? I will not drive it till I get answers on to what you guys think my problem is. You have been there for me before, and know you will tell me what the heck I did.

Could it be the clutch? I thought I could make it go away when the noise started, and depressed the clutch. but then again it didn't all the time!!

Help a brother out!! I can duplicate the noise with oil in it now, and in gear with clutch in, or in neutral with clutch out. sounds like rod knock to me. It really only is noticable when I give it gas!! not really at idle!!
Old May 8, 2006, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

dude...how do you know it is a spun rod bearing if you've never heard a motor with a spun rod bearing? No offense but you don't seem too mechanically inclined. If I was you, I'd have the car towed to a professional mechanic and get them to give you their opinion.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, anything with metal material, will end up in your oil filter or in the oil.. Change your oil and cut the filter open, see what is caught up in there.

I do have a block sitting in my garage that has a wiped balance shaft bearing, the owner of that block described noises similar to what you were hearing.

Have you had the chance to remove the timing cover and see if the balance belt or pully looks weird, stretched, worn, broken, or anything like that?
Old May 8, 2006, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

Have you had the chance to remove the timing cover and see if the balance belt or pully looks weird, stretched, worn, broken, or anything like that?
smokedmustang doesn't change his own oil...I doubt he'd be willing to remove the timing cover.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
dude...how do you know it is a spun rod bearing if you've never heard a motor with a spun rod bearing? No offense but you don't seem too mechanically inclined. If I was you, I'd have the car towed to a professional mechanic and get them to give you their opinion.
I am NOT mechanically inclined, you are correct. I had 2 HONDA mechanics stop by and tell me thats what it was. that is why I posted this, they know more than me. they have heard one before.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Well, anything with metal material, will end up in your oil filter or in the oil.. Change your oil and cut the filter open, see what is caught up in there.

I do have a block sitting in my garage that has a wiped balance shaft bearing, the owner of that block described noises similar to what you were hearing.

Thanks Malibu, I am having all that checked out today. "My" mechanic was on vacation last week. I will keep you posted!
Old May 8, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

smokedmustang doesn't change his own oil...I doubt he'd be willing to remove the timing cover.
Did you skip a breast-feeding when you were a kid??? WTF is your problem?
The following users liked this post:
kiley_sean (Sep 16, 2021)
Old May 8, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

2 things to try. First the oil level issue. When you checked it and it was really low. Did you just turn off your engine when you checked it. Might have been a quart down but you didn't give the oil enough time to drain back into the pan after shutting down the engine. For the knock sound take a long screwdrive and stick it on your motor and put it up to your ear and listen for the knock sound. Move it around your motor to see where it is loudest. Try around your cams, and towards the lower part of your block. Be careful with all the moving parts of your engine. Hope you find something.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
2 things to try. First the oil level issue. When you checked it and it was really low. Did you just turn off your engine when you checked it. Might have been a quart down but you didn't give the oil enough time to drain back into the pan after shutting down the engine. For the knock sound take a long screwdrive and stick it on your motor and put it up to your ear and listen for the knock sound. Move it around your motor to see where it is loudest. Try around your cams, and towards the lower part of your block. Be careful with all the moving parts of your engine. Hope you find something.
Thanks for the added "value" I will try that, or have the garage do that. thanks for the tip!
Old May 8, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Did you skip a breast-feeding when you were a kid??? WTF is your problem?
you've posted either 3 or 4 threads in the past two days about a problem that you DON'T know how to diagnose. It is beyond retarded to troubleshoot something when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Get it diagnosed by a mechanic and stop posting incessantly about what you think sounds like rod knock...without ever having heard what rod knock sounds like.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

you've posted either 3 or 4 threads in the past two days about a problem that you DON'T know how to diagnose. It is beyond retarded to troubleshoot something when you have no clue what you're talking about.

Get it diagnosed by a mechanic and stop posting incessantly about what you think sounds like rod knock...without ever having heard what rod knock sounds like.
Like I said already. I didn't diagnose the problem, It was done by ASE certified Honda mechanics. it is someone else who mentioned the "balance-shaft" belt issue, is why I posted this one, to see if there is a difference in sound. or is there no sound, but a vibration with the belt being broken.

I got great info on this topic from you guys, with all the posts I made, and it not only helped ME, but others as well. I appreciate most of the responsed I got, except *ahem*. The answers will help the untrained be able to recognize what a rod bearing issue sounds like. so I think you are out of line here, and this thread is (besides your posts) PRODUCTIVE!!! If you don't have anything to add, please don't.
Old May 8, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will never learn what rod knock sounds like over the internet. Are you on the south side of Indy? I'll be at Putnam on thursday watching the OLA guys and could swing by to take a listen on the way home if you want.
Old May 8, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
You will never learn what rod knock sounds like over the internet. Are you on the south side of Indy? I'll be at Putnam on thursday watching the OLA guys and could swing by to take a listen on the way home if you want.
It is on a trailer now, so I am not driving it!! I will see you out at Putnam!
Old May 8, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in your other thread you said you drained the oil and no metal or metallic material was in the oil. if so, its not a bearing.
Old May 8, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
in your other thread you said you drained the oil and no metal or metallic material was in the oil. if so, its not a bearing.
I saw NO copper shavings/chunks when i drained the oil, but here is the photos I took 1/2 hour ago, after the pan was removed!!

Quick Reply: Broken balance shaft belt or spun bearing.