Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Help weird NOISE, thx for your time.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help weird NOISE, thx for your time.

Ok, so I changed my tranny fluid and front transfer case fluids two weeks ago.

1.) Now when I put the gear into reverse, I can hear a "clunk" sound. (kinda like metal hitting sound). I let the fluid warm up, drive around and tested again, clunk. It only happened on reverse, every other gear= no sound. Any Idea?

2.) Right after I change the tranny fluid, I test drives it, everything is great, shift like butter. I don't know what happen, but after 100 miles or so it become notchy again. Was it because I changed the transfer fluid? Have no idea.

3.) Have some trouble shifting into 3rd gear. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, the "shifter" keep hitting the "middle" of the shift (between 2nd and 3rd?!) It's kinda like the shifter got struck in the middle. It keeps happening. I have problem getting from 2nd to 3rd. I know it wasn't my "shifting skill". I tried to shift slowly, I feel like it's getting struck between 2nd and 3rd.

This is on a 04 evo, 1st week changed the BG Synroshift I in tranny. 2nd week OEM diaqueen in transfer case.

There's also some "problem" changing the transfer fluid. Unlike changing the tranny fluid, when you take off the fill plug on the transfer, fluids already started dripping out. The problem is I don't know when to stop pumping fluid in. Of course I know it is .58 qt. But the transfer won't let me fill to .58 because there's already some fluid inside the transfer. I pump the transfer until fluid start dripping back out, but it just keep dripping out. (Keep dripping out...) I hope you guys know what I mean.

I know how to change this, I did everything on "level grounded", I drain and fill on level ground.

p.s. I did a search and read alot about this. What should I do now? changing the transfer again?

thx for your time!

Last edited by LilyK; May 10, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like the syncros in your transmission is going bad. Try putting OEM diaqueen tranny fluids back in. If its still bad you should take it to the dealer and see if they would replace it under warranty
Old May 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Are you sure you filled up the tranny all the way with fluid? How much did you use? What you are having is a transmission related problem, not the transfer case.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I would agree on the syncros. All it takes is one bad miss shift to damage some syncros. Espeacially multi-syncroed trannys.
When you fill the tranfer case, keep pumping till it comes out. Same with the trans.
I noticed a drop in notchy-ness in my trannny using Lucus oil stabilizer. This stuff is has a super high strength film/vicosity rating. Perfect for the transfer and trans. I used half a bottle for the trans, and filled the transfer with it completely.
There are two types of Lucus. One is super thick, one has a black label, pure synthetic.
I used the heavy type for the trans and transfer, the lighter one for the engine.
If you have an 03 there is a TSB out for the syncros...
Old May 11, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, yeah, and another thing, I had to see the Pamona Nationals in person, and I spoke to a mechanic/crew chief, Alan Johnson who crews Schumacher Racing. I was a little suprised to see them filling of the rear-end of their top fueler with a lucus oil product. It was that same stuff, the heavy stuff! He said they havent broke a ring gear in over 4 years! "Usually we see a few teeth missing off the ring gear from the stresses of the launch, which is hardest on the car.", he said.
The top fuel funny car guys and top alcohol dragster use this stuff! Thousands of horsepower are protected by this stuff, Lucus oil.
The oil used for this highly volatile fuel, Nitromethane, is used to keep the pistons from weilding themselves to the cylinders every pass of the drag strip, the viscosity rating has to be high to cut down on the "cylinder wash", a condition from which the alcohol wants to strip the oil off the cylinders, lowering the lubrication properties of the oil.
This oil is used because of this ability. Much more than your standard 10W40 Synthetic Mobile one, Redline, Royal purple.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

but if your syncros are bad, no oil in the world will help you. Have a service tech at mitsu take a look.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Your tranny takes three quarts of fluid. I use penzoil Syncromesh. The rear diff and TC take .58 quarts I just fill them till it starts to drip out. Somtimes the tranny dont drip out but just put in three quarts and youll be fine.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Are you sure you filled up the tranny all the way with fluid? How much did you use? What you are having is a transmission related problem, not the transfer case.
I filled it until it pop back out, I couldn't remember exactly how much, but I ordered 6 qt of fluid, used 5 qt already, I spilled 1 qt because the first pump I use "failed". So i would say about 2.5 qt pumped in.

Another problem (I've been keep hearing this for 5 days). When my engine is idling, I keep hearing a "humming noise", it's kinda like electric current sound/ Something vibrating sound. The best way I can thing of to descript this sound is: Moving the car from a stop on 3rd gear, that kind of vibrating sound. That weird noise get a lil louder and more noticable whenever I'm going faster. I felt like the noise came from the front diff. Any ideas?

I really don't drive this car hard at all since I got it brand new back in 2004. I redlined the engine less than 10 times. No launch, no burn out, I had been treating it like baby. (Almost always shifting @ 3000rpm)

Thx for all the comments, I really like to know what I should do now. (Don't want to bring to my stealership, because they are *** about almost everything) Thx again, help me out please.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by LilyK
1.) Now when I put the gear into reverse, I can hear a "clunk" sound. (kinda like metal hitting sound). I let the fluid warm up, drive around and tested again, clunk. It only happened on reverse, every other gear= no sound. Any Idea?

This heppens to me sometimes, You can try to put it in first gear, then into reverse. Good luck...