Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.

Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cans catch more on the pcv side Mr. kun.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some things cleared up

I use a fuel filter b/w PCV and IM return (back of valve cover) as well as a fuel filter before a k&n atmosphere dump on the breather (front of valve cover).

To clear up the directional/unidirectional dialogue, you can blow through both ends. However, consider a filter to have a 'trap' (crap collection) and a filament (filter). Essetially, you would want flow to hit the trap, then filament, then pass through, this prevents sludge build up and allows gas to condense and hit the trap. If you have it backwards, all material hits the filament and clog can occur, thus not allowing the trap to catch anything.

Why do I not use a catch can? Real estate and ease of cleaning. I can swap out my pcv filter for $3 and 5 minutes. It takes more $$ and more time to clean out a catch can. One can argue, I clean my little filters more regularly so the dollars average out, I wouldn't disagree, but I like to see the sludge buildup on and off the track - why? I dunno, we're all a little strange I suppose.

As far as the valve cover setup, I use the filter up front so I don't blow oil all over my engine bay.

For those of you that want a nice look and low maintenance required, I looked at Saikou_kun's DC3 and I think it appears to be both functional and good looking. Again, the only reason I don't have one is I like to visually monitor sludge. For those of you like me out there that want to see the sludge but also want your bay looking nice, there are plenty of aftermarket aesthetically pleasing fuel filters in the $10-15 range with replaceable filaments at $2-4.

For anyone taking the time to read this, especially those of you that complain about bad gasoline octane ratings and the effects of barometric pressure, etc..., go do something about it for just a few dollars!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

4cdndctn,

How much oil is collected in say 5,000 mile with your setup?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using a multiplier, probably about .75-1 fl oz depending on driving conditions on the PCV side. This has only been street tested to date.
My VC breather accumulates almost nothing unless I'm running 15-25 minute road course sessions in which case I may get a few drops per run.

I average:
28 lbs boost before 1lb taper
alky engages at .75 duty cycle at 16lbs boost
1/4 gallon toluene with every fill up
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like to see a back to back test.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

How about something like this as catch can?

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...64606640_3.jpg
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

search my name I did a catch can with this style CC. Good luck!
Old May 21, 2007, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. SNOW
search my name I did a catch can with this style CC. Good luck!
I used the homedepot filter method + clear reinforced hose.. but the hose
was squeezed flattened from the vacuum pressure and heat (softening the hose).

I'm buying some rubber hose and insulation to replace them...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCV side catch can with water/alcohol injection

I recently drained my PCV side catch can for the first time. I was surprised when I drained out about 1 Oz. of what definitely appears to be water/alcohol mixed some oil. From what I could figure out is that under boost, some of my water/alcohol mixture is being forced out through the PVC vacuum fitting and into the hose leading into the catch can. I recently did a cam change and I did not see any coolant in the upper cylinder head area. I even pulled the valve cover off and took a look inside and there is no coolant visible at all. Anybody with water/alcohol injection and a PCV side catch can ever experience this? I'm thinking of adding a high pressure 1-way check valve right before the intake manifold vacuum fitting to keep the water/alcohol mixture out of the catch can.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

How many mile on the car? The PCV should stop about all of it if it's working right. I just get oil on that side and a watered down liquid on the other side.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

The PCV would only stop any water/alcohol from getting into the valve cover, not the catch can.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Your catch can is vented to atmosphere?
Old Jun 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Your catch can is vented to atmosphere?
No not to the atmosphere. I have the DC3 dual catch can. I have it hooked up the proper way. The one hose goes out of the PCV valve into the the top of the catch can and the other hose goes out of the catch can and into the intake manifold vacuum fitting. From what I can figure what is happening is that under pressure/boost, the water/alcohol mixture is being forced out of the intake manifold then through the vacuum fitting. Then that hose leads into the catch can and the water/alcohol is collecting there. I don't know how else to explain it.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Same set up I have, change your PCV they're cheap and see what happens. I'm boosting about 28 PSI and that's not I problem I've experianced.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Same set up I have, change your PCV they're cheap and see what happens. I'm boosting about 28 PSI and that's not I problem I've experianced.
Are you running a water/alcohol injection set up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.