Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stutter While Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stutter While Accelerating

Hello all,

Here is a list of my mods.

EVO VIII 05
HKS Carbon/TI Cat Back
Perrin Cat Delete
JIC Downpipe
XS Engineering Front Mount Intercooler
HKS 264 Int 272 Exh Cams
Walbro Fuel Pump
Apexi AVCR
Magnecor Cables
Koyo Radiator
APS BOV
ECUTek (Mynes Performance Mesa AZ)
Blitz Induction Cover

Before I get into my dilemma I have searched high and low on the forums for similar problems and cannot find anyone with a simlar problem that has resolved it.

My problem is when I am accelerating at WOT with boost set to 1.5 Bar, I can feel my car stutter. The stutter is even more obvious in lower gears, almost to where it feels like I maybe hitting fuel cut. I have noticed the stutter happening allot more since we have come into the warmer months in Arizona. So I tried turning the boost down to 1 Bar and running for a while, still get stutter when I am at WOT, but it doesn't happen as often. When I turn the boost solenoid off and it runs at 0.75 Bar I don't have any obvious stutter when at WOT. Thinking this could be my AVCR I installed the stock solenoid in again. At 1.35 Bar and WOT I can still feel stutter.

A final thing I have noticed is that the stuttering is more obvious during hot days (over 95 degrees). It doesn't matter how much boost I am running between 1 and 1.5 Bar, I still get stutter.

Anyone please help!!!
Old May 25, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it sounds like this, IT IS YOUR WIRES!!! This is the Magnacore misfire!! Swap out your plug wires back to stock and let us know!!!

Guages1
Guages2
Old May 25, 2006, 07:45 AM

I was getting this problem before I put the magnecor wires in. I thought it was the wires in the first place, which is why I replaced them. I have also replaced my plugs with a step cooler and coils. No change.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

I dont see the plugs you are using, I use NGK 8's, you should be with 7's I guess. I am not familiar with the AVCR, maybe its that. just start taking off the mods one by one, from where you think it started, and you wil find your culprit! Good Luck.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

lol You guys beat me to it. The first thing I looked for in the thread was a mod list to see if magnacore wires were on the list. Sure enough, there they were. Put those stock wires back on.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:48 AM

I have NGK 8's. At the moment I am running the stock solenoid, replaced the stock BOV (problem seemed to occur when I installed APS BOV). For some reason I cannot find the stock wires. However, as I mentioned before, I replaced the stock wires because I was getting the problem back then. I will either have to find the stock wires or buy new ones, does anyone know if I can buy wires at the mitsiparts website? I don't like going to Mitsi dealer the seem to by more expensive.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

ok
Old May 25, 2006, 08:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re gap plugs with a smaller gap. .020-.022

It could also be that you are running lean.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
my money is on spark plugs... do like scott said...try regapping ...if that don't work...try a heat range up to the 7's
Old May 25, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

With the Hp, I would say the 7's. the stock wires are 50 bucks or less. and trust us, its the wires.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

You may have a coil going bad if the wire change did not help. Evidentally, that is not all that uncommon
Old May 26, 2006, 12:58 AM

if it is not wires then in might have started reaching a knock limit, its getting really hot around here
Old May 27, 2006, 02:27 PM

Ok I have looked all over and cannot find my wires. I have ordered new ones, I won't be able to put them in for two weeks becuase of out of state business. While I am at it, I will get some new plugs. Hopefully a fix!!! I report either way incase someone else has a similar problem in future.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:47 AM

Just a been doing some data logging with the AVCR, and when my car starts to stutter I can see that my throttle position is jumping around. Could this be related to the bad wires and plugs?
Old May 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AllBlak
Just a been doing some data logging with the AVCR, and when my car starts to stutter I can see that my throttle position is jumping around. Could this be related to the bad wires and plugs?
If the ignition is breaking up then your RPMS will jump around.

Quick Reply: Stutter While Accelerating