Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where's all my antifreeze going??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's all my antifreeze going??

Here is my problem, every week- two weeks my overflow coolant tank will be empty and I have to top it off. Anyhow, the other day I went inside the gas station to pick up something to drink and decided to leave my car running outside with the A/C on. I heard the car idling funny, which it does with the A/C on- it wants to die sometimes. When I went out to check on the car the temperature gauge was a little over 3/4ths of the way up nearing the red Now this is the second time this has happened in the last month or month and a half maybe. Both times on scorching hot day and both times when I checked the radiator, dry. Well I dunno about completely but I know it took quite a bit of antifreeze to fill it back up again. I always leave the car running when adding antifreeze and I was watching for air bubbles and I didn't seem to see any once it was topped back off. There were maybe one or two bubbles but mainly just rough, choppy flowing (it is hard to tell because my car's idle is so rough) Once I top off the antifreeze it runs fine but like I said since summer started it's tried to over heat about 3 times now. I'm hoping that this isn't the head gasket or water pump but I'm afraid it is one of the two

I have checked the oil and don't seem to notice any coolant in it, so that is a plus. There isn't any white smoking coming out of the exhaust either. The overflow tank, however, is sometimes a little darker than the bright green antifreeze when it goes in. If you wipe the black rubber hose on a white towel after pulling it out of the overflow tank, it will leave a dark black, oily mark.

Also, I was one of the lucky 05 owners to have the freeze plug blow out of the water pump, so I've had problems in the past out of this pump. Yay! Lucky me, right?

Anyhow, what do you guys think the problem is?

-Thanks for all of your help in advance!

EDIT: After further inspection of letting the car idle with the radiator cap off I did notice some bubbles in the coolant once the fans kicked on. When the fans are off I see no bubbles but with the fans on, bubbles.

Last edited by mac_05evo; Jul 6, 2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

BTW I forgot to mention I had the turbo coolant hose replaced already, which is the one that had a TSB out for them. This was replaced a little over a year ago when the hose blew so I know it is not that.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

morning bump... any ideas guys?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'd put my money on it being the head gasket.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure there are no leaks? You might wants to do a full inspection to see.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Are you sure there are no leaks? You might wants to do a full inspection to see.
unless it is a very small leak I'm almost positive there aren't any leaks... there is never antifreeze under the car or anywhere to be seen in the engine bay, and there is no antifreeze smell..

also at the rate I have to have antifreeze if there were a leak it would probably be a noticeable one..
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

The oily residue in the overflow makes me believe it is the HG. You're probably pushing coolant at full boost, which is emptying the overflow/radiator. At WOT the cylinder pressure, if allowed to reach the cooling system, will presurize the cooling system, overcome the radiator cap spring, and force coolant into the overflow, which will then run out of the dump tube that goes down the side. By the time you get home or whatever, the evidence is dried up. Then as it cools it pulls in as much as it needs to make up what is lost, which in some cases is more than you have in the overflow, so you find that bottle empty. Once that is empty, the rest will be made up with air in the radiator/cooling system.

You can rent a tool to pressurize the cooling system to make sure there are no leaks, if it will make you feel better, but I have to assume this is going to be a head gasket. For what it's worth, I was kind of glad when mine finally went, since it gave me a good excuse to swap out the stock stretchy bolts for ARPs, which make the stock gasket perform very well.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

^^ thanks for your input kevin..
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

This may be a dumb question but obviously if there is no white smoke coming from my exhaust so the gasket can't be completely blown (I'm assuming, not sure).. So what I was wondering is it ok to just swap in some ARP head studs and leave it, or is it best to go ahead and change the gasket along w/ the studs?

Sorry if that is a dumb question but I was just pondering on it.. Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mac_05evo
This may be a dumb question but obviously if there is no white smoke coming from my exhaust so the gasket can't be completely blown (I'm assuming, not sure).. So what I was wondering is it ok to just swap in some ARP head studs and leave it, or is it best to go ahead and change the gasket along w/ the studs?

Sorry if that is a dumb question but I was just pondering on it.. Thanks

Check your cooling system with the following

1-Run a pressure test and see if it holds 15 to 20 PSI (Tool can be found at Sears)

2-Check your coolant for CO2 that means check your coolant if it has exhaust gases. The tool is simple and you can buy it online. Simply you pour some if your coolant in the tool and see if the color of the liquid changes. Forgot what the tool is called.

If the color changes it means you have a bad head gasket, cracked head or damaged block.

Good luck

oh do you have ARP head studs?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar

oh do you have ARP head studs?
nope, i do not have them...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:09 AM
Account Disabled

theres no smoke because your not leaking coolant into the cylinders, your leaking compression into the water jackets and its pushing the coolant out of the overflow tank. I had the same problem on 2g tsi awd a few years ago. but my car would overheat after 20 mins of abuse. If you drove it around normal it would last a few days. WHAT I WOULD DO IS FILL THE SYSTEM UP WITH COOLANT WHEN THE CAR IS OFF AND COLD. THEN START IT UP, LET IT WARM UP WHILE CHECKING FOR LEAKS TO BE SAFE. THEN ONE ITS WARMED UP GO AND BEAT ON IT FOR LIKE 5 MINS STRAIGHT AND THEN COME RIGHT BACK HOME AND POP THE HOOD. I BET IF THERES STILL FLUID IN THE TANK IT WILL BE BOILING OUT
Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

The head gasket seperates 4 main systems.

Oil
Coolant
Combustion
Atmosphere

The gasket can fail between any two or more of these systems. How it fails is specific to each individual failure, but some are more common than others. Oil>Coolant is very popular Combustion to Coolant only while at high cylinder pressures is another (pushing coolant). Etc. Mix and match however you like.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. If you want to fix that, you either have to retorque head studs if you have them to 85lbs or if you dont get them installed, if you keep driving like that you would most likely blow headgasket. I had same thing 2 month ago, turned out to be 1 headstud torqued to 75lbs, retorque it and problem went away.

Good luck
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for all of your help guys.. hopefully the problem will be fixed soon..

Quick Reply: Where's all my antifreeze going??