Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Check out my budget oil catchcan!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my budget oil catchcan!!

I will probably get flamed for this. But it does the job and is probably more practical than a real oil catchcan. I bought this at walmart for $12 and the connectors for $2. Its got an air filter and a drain plug at the bottom. You can also take it all apart or unscrew the glass portion of it. It fits very well inbetween my helix uper IC pipe and stock radiator pipe. Let me hear your opinions....

Last edited by dbdude; Jul 24, 2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Seems like a great idea!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Neat DIY!

I would've used these however

and I would just suggest putting one on the PCV side too. Unless you already did, and just dont have pics posted of that side.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
may also look a little better if you run the line of the valve cover to the other side of the ic piping in front of the battery so it wont be so crowded right there... but other than that, looks fine and seems functional
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

That's prettier than my setup... I used a generic plastic filter from autozone. Can't take it apart, but there seems to be not a drop of oil in 5K miles.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

I have not thought about the pcv side. This little catchcan is solidly built. You can see 100% of whatever sludge goes in there. The stock pipe is also perfect length for it. I just used about 3inches of aftermarket hose to connect it to the valve cover. It kinda sits on the radiator pipe. No need to screw it anywhere. Thanks for the comments.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

just FYI, autozone or sears sells a smaller battery for like $30.... it still sits in stock battery tray, the stock battery terminal location is the same and it leaves a lot more room for your piping so it isnt so tight in there...
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for that info bigric. I need a smaller batt.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

if you look on here for posts by superscout03 i think, he has one ... he got a chrome cover to put around it to hide the battery label, but i believe he has pics on here of his front mount install that shows the battery and type
Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

old trick! I had the same thing on my old car.

Home Depot sells some bigger air compressor filters that you can use (Just go on the home depot website and type in 'air filter compressor'). Also, I like these better than catch cans you can buy because they have a drain plug on the bottom, making it so that you can empty them without even taking it out.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wait for the pictures I am going to post tomorrow.

Hey I read your DYI on the can. I too have had this idea for a while. I just bought it tonight before reading your post it is so funny because I was going to post it too. I am adding a baffel system to this can. It will be a much added part of the can. I will post some pictures when I get my camera charged. So guys, stay tuned for a post tomorrow. Also, the baffel system is the most important part of the can, it is needed.

Saikou_kun you are right below, Neat DYI!
Originally Posted by Saikou_kun
Neat DIY!

I would've used these however

and I would just suggest putting one on the PCV side too. Unless you already did, and just dont have pics posted of that side.
Saikou_kun, he would be fine with those if he worked the hose over the ridge on to the flat. He should use some hair spray or gel to keep it tight. Also, you are right on adding a second can, our cars need one. I bought two because of that reason.

xenoturkey- bigger is not better for this item, because you can fit this puppy anywhere and it will be so much lighter.

Also dbdude, again I like your idea because it was mine too. I just have a important baffel system in my can. ialso wanted to say you can fit a whole made mounting bracket on the top. If you look there are two holes that are just right for some screws or bolts from a hardware store. Add those to a piece of sheet metal it would make a grate bracket. One like the bracket Saikou_kun sells.

Guys, this catch can is the best value for under $35.00, after u add the extra parts I bought. Not only do you get a good can that is small, you protect your engine from senseless damage. Josh

Last edited by MR. SNOW; Jul 23, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:17 PM

I thought about doing the same thing. However, there is a warning label attached to the filter that says it should not be used for trapping oil. That would lead me to believe that the materials were not designed to hold oil safely.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
I thought about doing the same thing. However, there is a warning label attached to the filter that says it should not be used for trapping oil. That would lead me to believe that the materials were not designed to hold oil safely.
FYI--- That thing is supposed to be pressurized with up to 150lbs of air. Oil can destabilize plastic and at that pressure it could blow up.

That's what they were refering to. Josh
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Cool idea can't wait to see more pics.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MR. SNOW
FYI--- That thing is supposed to be pressurized with up to 150lbs of air. Oil can destabilize plastic and at that pressure it could blow up.

That's what they were refering to. Josh

Not to argue with you or anything, but plastic is an oil product. And most containers that contain oil are plastic. I'm no expert on plastic, but I do work with injection molding.

Quick Reply: Check out my budget oil catchcan!!